Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Bathroom Ceiling Collapses in Bath During the Night - Compensation?

Old May 12, 2013, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Miles & More Gold, HHonors Diamond

It's about 1:30am and I am fast asleep when I hear this terrible noise coming from what I thought was something in my room, but in the middle of the night I thought maybe I am just confused and perhaps it was outside my room? I was freaked out. I got up and turned the light on. Part of the ceiling of the bathroom had collapsed in the bath. After that, pieces kept falling off every 15 minute sor so, and making noise so I could not sleep anymore. I went to reception and they gave me another (nicer) room. However since it was a 1-night stay, I had no time to take advantage of the view or the extra space. The room was an advance purchase so I had paid already, and they offered me 35k points (property is Hilton reward category 5). Needless to say I am never going back to this property. That said, I am not used to such situations - is this a fair compensation and I should move on? Or should I push harder? Thanks for your advice.

Old May 12, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Yes it is fair compensation. They moved you to another room and gave you points for another night.

Had you been in the tub at the time then I would say you would deserve more, but since you we're not, I think it's fair.
Old May 12, 2013, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Wow. Yes, I think the compensation is sufficient.

Which hotel is it?
Old May 12, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
I agree with MR_MAMA's points.
Old May 12, 2013, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Miles & More Gold, HHonors Diamond
Thanks for the replies. If I had been in the tub when it happened I might have had a heart attack :-)

Happened last night at the Double Tree Dahia Mar Fort Lauderdale
Old May 12, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Completely disagree, I don't think it's adequate compensation at all. At the very least they should refund what you paid. I also think the points on top would be a fair gesture and if you stay there again, a little 'service recovery' would not go amiss.
Old May 12, 2013, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Lots of points....

Sounds pretty fair to me.
Old May 12, 2013, 7:18 pm

Fair offer. I wouldn't complain.
Old May 12, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Maybe...

Cat 5 is 30,000-40,000 points, so basically a free night at this hotel. Fair in that respect.

But these days I'd rather have cash than HH points, so I'd ask for a refund. Mention the pictures you took and how they'll look in a Tripadvisor review.

Basically the decision, in my mind, is a fair amount of points offered vs cash. I don't think both would be fair.
Old May 12, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Which hotel is it?
Reading it quickly I thought it was the Bath (UK) Hilton.
Old May 12, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
It seems pretty fair to me. The basically gave you a free night at any hotel in their category. Or a few few nights at some cheap properties!. I think that a free night or your money back sounds about right for this scary event. But I'm with MR_MAMA if you'd been in the tub it would have been a different story. :shudders:

If you have accepted the points, then the deal is done. I think it would be in bad form to go back and ask for more. If you said that you'd consider it, then go right ahead and ask for your money back.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
Mention the pictures you took and how they'll look in a Tripadvisor review.
Real classy. Nothing like a little threatened extortion to prove your value as a guest. The crap advice offered in this forum boggles the mind sometimes.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:52 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Real classy. Nothing like a little threatened extortion to prove your value as a guest. The crap advice offered in this forum boggles the mind sometimes.
Not that the post to which you are replying deserves any more attention, but still, ^^^
Old May 12, 2013, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by smmrfld
^
Old May 13, 2013, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
You weren't hurt, they gave you a bunch of points, they gave you another room. More than plenty.

The end

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.