Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Colombia {COL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JohnnyColombia
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Colombia {COL}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TomMM
Would the VAT be listed on the final invoice for a stay?
Yes. It's called IVA and it's 16% of the room rate.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:00 pm

Cartagena: Hilton or Conrad (Diamond)?

Hi folks. Apologies for top post if this is better suited somewhere else. Going to Cartagena and am deciding between the Hilton and the Conrad. Similar rate for lowest tier room ($170-175/n). Two adults and a toddler. I have Hilton diamond status.

Wondering which would be a better choice for a few criteria:

- likelihood of a suit upgrade (basically any room that’s got a separate quarters so kid can sleep on sofa/sofa bed and we can get some privacy). Hilton has 3,341 rooms. Not sure how many are suites. Conrad has 268 rooms including 31 suites. I’ve booked both via semi flex rate. Checking on booking.com I see regular rooms at Conrad sold out for the dates I want and with suites being much more expensive maybe there’s a better upgrade chance?

- my above question is regarding upgrade chances. Let’s say we are not upgraded at either, would one hotel have better standard rooms where you’d be able to put a toddler in with you ? Some kind of a sofa, and parents can take a king bed.

- value for free food. Do breakfast options vary? How about lounges. I’m new to Hilton but with Marriotts some lounges have full food throughout the day not just fruit snacks/muffins.

- how kid friendly is each hotel? Activities, playrooms, kid (toddler) friendly pools where you’d be comfortable letting the kid in the water on their own because it’s very shallow.

- how are their beaches ? Conrad seems to be farther set from the beach based on what I saw on a YT video. Is that the case ? Must take a golf cart?

- are restaurant prices relatively comparable? Or would dinners put the difference in stays much higher vs Hilton

For any other differences that I missed I’d appreciate feedback. Thank you very much for any advice guys.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think the #1 consideration is location, and I find it a little surprising there's no mention of that in your post. You might want to do some more research on Cartagena and where these hotels are located, particularly the Conrad. And read the Hilton thread, which has quite a bit of information on the property, location, and beach.

btw, if your goal is a Caribbean beach vacation, with white sand and blue water, Cartagena is a very poor choice.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I've been upgraded to suites at both properties.

There is a lounge at the Hilton. No lounge at the Conrad. Breakfast is in the restaurant at both hotels.

You aren't in Cartagena for the beach. You might be there for some sightseeing, in which case the Hilton is much better located. If you have no intention of leaving the hotel property, the Conrad is newer and has a much nicer pool IMO.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
the Conrad Cartagena is a lovely hotel with a awesome rooms, no executive lounge and great restaurants but there is nothing to do near by. the old city is a drive away and the hotel taxi charges $20 USD (one way)
The Hilton Cartagena is a dated property in need a comprehensive remodeling job but it is within a walking distance to the old city and if you don't want to walk, the taxi will cost you $ 2.5 USD
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by RolfD
The Hilton Cartagena is a dated property in need a comprehensive remodeling job but it is within a walking distance to the old city
It's 2.5 miles from the Hilton to the walled city, with a long stretch along a busy highway, totally lacking in shade. Very few people would describe that as "walkable" in Cartagena's heat. I certainly would not.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Public transport in Cartagena

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's 2.5 miles from the Hilton to the walled city, with a long stretch along a busy highway, totally lacking in shade. Very few people would describe that as "walkable" in Cartagena's heat. I certainly would not.
I agree. Walking from the Hilton to the old city center (Centro) is not an option (during the day). The Hilton is located in Bocagrande almost as far as you can get in Bocagrande. The distance is too long and it is too humid for walking. At night time it may be a pleasant walk (but still humid in my experience from last month in Cartagena). However, Uber works well and there are plenty of cheap taxi (look for the small yellow cars - no meter so agree on the fare first) and if you really want to save money, there are frequent buses (look for the green/colorful buses) going from near the Hilton the city center (as I recall it the fare is COP 2,400 - to be paid in cash to the driver when you enter) - I took the busses numerous times when staying at the Hampton (which is also a nice property and the location is much better/closer to Centro - almost walking distance). There is also the Transcaribe bus T103 between Bocagrade and centro, but that requires you to have purchased a card in advance and loaded it with money - you can't pay in cash to the driver.

2-3 days in Cartagena is enough. Too many tourists and hassle from street vendors - and the beaches are poor. If you go for the beaches, Santa Marta should be your choice.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Does anyone have any Intel on the delayed opening of the Hilton Santa Marta?
Old Sep 15, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Colombia Doubletree Bogota Saltire AR vs Doubletree Bogota Parque 93

Hi All,

First time going to Bogota next month. Can you confirm which of the two Doubletree is better, Salitre AR or Parque 93? Pricing is identical, they both have their top 1 bedroom suites for around $150CDN which is a steal. I looked at all the other hiltons in Bogota and these two seem the best value. I know Saltire has an exec lounge while Parque doesn't, but it's closed. Parque also has a pool while Saltire just has a Spa pool. Anyone know about which is better location to getting around by foot and safer? I couldn't find any reviews for either property on flyertalk - hoping someone has experience

Thanks so much in advance

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 16, 2021 at 7:09 am Reason: Corrected spelling for sake of future searching
Old Sep 16, 2021, 5:24 am

Programs: United, Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Hilton
I only know about the Doubletree Parque 93 location. I have stayed there half a dozen times and really enjoyed the property. It has been two years since my last visit but there was a lounge on the top floor that was indoor/outdoor and only available to elites so I am not sure why your information shows there is no lounge. I spent a lot of time in the lounge with friends and co-workers. It is a delightful lounge.

The rooms are spacious and quiet. The neighborhood borders some fun restaurants and shops just a few minutes walk away near Parque 93. There are so many accessible areas within a 10 minute walk from the hotel for example La Zona Rosa which has popular and high-end shops and restaurants. I never felt unsafe in a small group or even by myself, but it is also my opinion that being by yourself in a foreign country should be minimized, use the buddy system if you can. I had ample access to Uber and Taxis from Parque 93. I never had a bad experience at this location and prefer it over the Bogota JW Marriott for example.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:14 am

The Parque 93 location is quite a bit better for a tourist.
Xyzzy and SKYEG like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 9:53 pm

Thank you!!!

I did some research besides the DT/Hiltons in BOG for MDE, SMR and CTG for my trip and wanted to get some insight...

CTG - it looks like the good options are Nacar and maybe the Hilton... But there are so many other hotels that have a better location with rooftop pools at Estelar, Hyatt and IHG for the same price... Will be hard choosing here
MDE - The Hampton is a real barebone option... better to choose outside of Hilton here probably with so many other options?
SMR- Hilton Garden Inn actually seems solid, with a nice pool and location with a cheap price. The reviews are really good too. Worth staying it looks like...

Any thoughts for people that have stayed here?

TYVM again
Old Sep 20, 2021, 11:38 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Hilton
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Thank you!!!
CTG
MDE
In CTG, as a diamond the Hilton upgraded me to an awesome corner double/two room suite that was overlooking the pool area. One side was the living quarters and the other side was an entertainment suite. The rooms had a decent sized balcony with chaise lounges. I had easy access to the pools and a great beach.

In MDE, I was disappointed with the Hilton options in 2019. Instead I stayed at the Four Points which is really an exceptional option over the Hampton Inn. The Hampton is arguably in a better location to shopping and restaurants. There was supposed to be a ground breaking on a new Hilton in 2019 but it looks like it was never completed. I am guessing about the new Hilton though based on lack of property designation in the booking tool.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 6:08 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by SKYEG

CTG - it looks like the good options are Nacar and maybe the Hilton... But there are so many other hotels that have a better location with rooftop pools at Estelar, Hyatt and IHG for the same price... Will be hard choosing here

SMR- Hilton Garden Inn actually seems solid, with a nice pool and location with a cheap price. The reviews are really good too. Worth staying it looks like...

Any thoughts for people that have stayed here?

TYVM again
Unless you have visited Cartagena previously and have a particular reason to want to stay at Boca Grande, I can't see why you would choose Estelar, Hyatt and IHG over Nacar.

I guess points might play a part.

The beach in Cartagena is grotty. Although Boca Grande is an upmarket neighbourhood I was not impressed with the quality of malls, restaurants and did not think the area particularly appealing.

The Nacar is right in the heart of the picturesque Old Town and has a rooftop pool and bar. It is a fairly small hotel so not crowded and lots of quite good restaurants nearby. A taxi to the beach is a dollar or two. But I doubt one would want to visit more than once.

I am returning to Cartageana in November and am not even contemplating Boca Grande.

In Santa Marta, I stayed in the Marriott Resort which is quite nice but more pricey than the Garden Inn. I stayed in a Garden Inn in Barranquilla and whilst the room was fine I was not that impressed with the breakfast so I went more upmarket with the Marriott.

The Santa Marta Garden Inn is well located downtown as Santa Marta has a pleasant small town atmosphere whilst the Marriott is out of town.

The beaches in Santa Marta are a bit better than Cartagena but are still a bit grotty. If you want to explore downtown I would suggest the Garden Inn but if you want the beach and a little more comfort, the Marriott Resort might be a consideration.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by jmanrunner
In CTG, as a diamond the Hilton upgraded me to an awesome corner double/two room suite that was overlooking the pool area. One side was the living quarters and the other side was an entertainment suite. The rooms had a decent sized balcony with chaise lounges. I had easy access to the pools and a great beach.

In MDE, I was disappointed with the Hilton options in 2019. Instead I stayed at the Four Points which is really an exceptional option over the Hampton Inn. The Hampton is arguably in a better location to shopping and restaurants. There was supposed to be a ground breaking on a new Hilton in 2019 but it looks like it was never completed. I am guessing about the new Hilton though based on lack of property designation in the booking tool.
Originally Posted by cargueiro
Unless you have visited Cartagena previously and have a particular reason to want to stay at Boca Grande, I can't see why you would choose Estelar, Hyatt and IHG over Nacar.

I guess points might play a part.

The beach in Cartagena is grotty. Although Boca Grande is an upmarket neighbourhood I was not impressed with the quality of malls, restaurants and did not think the area particularly appealing.

The Nacar is right in the heart of the picturesque Old Town and has a rooftop pool and bar. It is a fairly small hotel so not crowded and lots of quite good restaurants nearby. A taxi to the beach is a dollar or two. But I doubt one would want to visit more than once.

I am returning to Cartageana in November and am not even contemplating Boca Grande.

In Santa Marta, I stayed in the Marriott Resort which is quite nice but more pricey than the Garden Inn. I stayed in a Garden Inn in Barranquilla and whilst the room was fine I was not that impressed with the breakfast so I went more upmarket with the Marriott.

The Santa Marta Garden Inn is well located downtown as Santa Marta has a pleasant small town atmosphere whilst the Marriott is out of town.

The beaches in Santa Marta are a bit better than Cartagena but are still a bit grotty. If you want to explore downtown I would suggest the Garden Inn but if you want the beach and a little more comfort, the Marriott Resort might be a consideration.
Thank you for your insight... I will definitely take this into consideration!!! It is my first time and I won't have much time in Cartegena, so the old town is top priority. I know the beach isn't great but I thought the views and amenities offered at the Hyatt/Estelar were pretty great for the price of rooms(only like $120 a night). I really enjoy skyline/bay/ocean view from my room when I have limited time to stay

I had heard good things about elite treatment at the Hilton too! Heard it was a bit dated and that Nacar would be preferred after some reading now. I definitely agree about the lackluster in Medellin. Grand Hyatt seems like one of the best options there, Novotel not a bad cheap option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.