Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Have you switched business away from Hilton?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you switched business away from Hilton?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2013, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I just booked a 7 nights in Australia for an upcoming business trip at Hyatt and Marriott. Used to stay at Hilton city properties. Total loss to Hilton is $2300+ Also saved $100/night which is a bonus.

Anybody else who has actually shifted business as a result of the great devaluation?

Why you asking brotha? This question was asked several times already. And I can confirm once more: Yes, I have moved business almost completely away from Hilton family hotels.

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
I *did* stay at a holiday inn last night...

Eh, still flirting with other chains, but I do have almost 900k HH points, so it's hard to ditch them.

Oh yes, whom are you telling this? I am also in with 1 1/2 m points. Don't see the value anymore in them.

Originally Posted by stifle
I'm not aware of ever being offered "the best room". Diamond guests get an upgrade if available as determined by the property, which may be the next category up, a room on a high floor, a corner room, a room with a better view, a suite, or something else again. For me it's nearly always been the next category up, but I have twice had suites.

Oh, absolutely! I had too many discussions in Hilton hotels about the upgrades. I got sooo tired of that. I am happy now with other hotels, mainly with SPG.
Old May 11, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG DIamond
Tbh for work I continue to book the hotel which best suites my needs in terms of the location and quality of the hotel, and this is regularly Hilton.

For personal stays the cost benefit of Gold perks (breakfast) combined with good upgrade experiences means I'm generally sticking with Hilton as well. When it's my own money I'm more concerned with what I'm spending than how many points I'm earning (except for promotions such as the free night certificate for every 4 nights which obviously made it more interesting... but then that had a cost benefit).

For example US East Coast holiday in June:

5 nights HHonors Redemption (pre devaluation)
4 nights Hilton cash
1 night Radisson cash
1 night Marriott cash
Old May 11, 2013, 9:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by presario1626
Unless you can actually use those internal Hilton rate or TA Rates, they are not really relevant.
The property-program operator settlement rates are fundamentally relevant, as they are the significant factor in how much money Hilton makes/retains from HHonors and how sustainable a redemption rate may be considered.

The Hilton Diamond benefits don't do really much of anything for me, and would do even less for me if I were to face reduced travel. The gap between Hilton Gold and Diamond for at-property benefits is not large enough to motivate me to do much of anything to move from one tier to another with HHonors. If the value of current Diamond benefits are so great that Diamonds don't mind massive point devaluation, perhaps Hilton should go further yet to devalue the points specifically for Diamond customers since they are "hooked" hard already.
Old May 11, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Yes have reduced Hilton bookings by about 80% since the devaluation. Won't retain Diamond this year unless a compelling promotion comes up - not sure there's any extra benefit of Diamond over Gold.
Old May 11, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
I've lowered by booking by about 75% (100% of business). Book about 15 business nights month and in may SPG has gotten all my former Hilton bookings
Old May 11, 2013, 2:29 pm

Yes. They lost me today. I transfered all of my HH points (200k) to Delta. I will be SPG all the way.
Old May 11, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I'm switching quite a bit to Marriott. I'll have at least 77 Marriott nights (you need 75 for Platinum) by the end of the year, not including award stays. It's not all from stays, though. I have 4 rollover nights and 15 from the credit card.

I should still have enough Hilton stays to hit Diamond, though.

It's tough to find anything comparable to Hilton Garden Inn, though. That's the real gem in Hilton's portfolio, for Gold/Diamond members anyway. Fabulous breakfast, affordable prices (usually in the $70-100 range for me), fairly consistent quality, and Gold/Diamond get the breakfast for free.
Old May 11, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Gld HH SPG
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I just booked a 7 nights in Australia for an upcoming business trip at Hyatt and Marriott. Used to stay at Hilton city properties. Total loss to Hilton is $2300+ Also saved $100/night which is a bonus.

Anybody else who has actually shifted business as a result of the great devaluation?
Quit using Hilton about 19 months ago. They think their crap doesn't stink.
Old May 11, 2013, 5:35 pm

Yes. Spending off my points this year, moving to SPG, Hyatt. I was already keeping a minimum of Gold at SPG, but will go for top tier for both SPG and Hyatt and leave Hilton entirely. 150 room nights a year personally, up to 600 room nights for the team on this project.

Agreed on the HGI, best of their products by far.
Old May 11, 2013, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
Oh, absolutely! I had too many discussions in Hilton hotels about the upgrades. I got sooo tired of that. I am happy now with other hotels, mainly with SPG.
High end SPG properties are very nice...generally nicer than high end Hilton properties. Unfortunately, SPG cannot compete with the level of coverage Hilton has.

I am only gold with HH and do not worry much about upgrades. I value the breakfast and free internet more than anything. I was previously gold with SPG and the only benefit I remember was late checkout, which I rarely used.

The key for me though is the fact that HH points are much easier to earn than SPG points.
Old May 11, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
I haven't booked a single stay at a Hilton all year after finishing just short of Diamond last year, and I have no intention of doing so. I book Hyatt and SPG now, with Marriott as my fallback program when coverage is an issue. It bothers me because I did enjoy Hilton, but I liquidated all of my points at the end of last year and the though of accumulating a devalued version of them seems absurd to me.
Old May 11, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I am still splitting my stays between Hilton and Hyatt. I will make Diamond at both again...

I avoid Marriott completely.

SPG lacks coverage , as does Hyatt....

IHG is just too inconsistent at lower levels....

As others have said, I vwlue benefits over points...
Interesting as I either use Hyatt or Marriott for the coverage and range. Agree with you on SPG. Hilton has so devalued it's program as well as the "Hilton" brand. There are some many marginal hotels flying "hilton" hotel circle in San Diego is a prime example. Cheaply renovated, marginal service. poor FS.
Old May 11, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, I will cut back to drop down to Gold this year for the in hotel benefits. SPG is my main program to maintain Plat and earn points.
Old May 12, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

No. I value the Diamond benefits more than the points.
Same here. Plus - most of my favourite properties are Hhonors ones, and I don't care about points/reward stays that much.
Old May 12, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Yes, I have switched business away from Hilton.

The reason is not the devaluation of points, but the poor coverage for business stays in my home territory EU´s no. 1 economy Germany (two more Hiltons just deflagged - Dortmund and Bremen) and the even poorer coverage in the no. 2 economy France. Other EU countries are treated not much better by the company. Their strategy seems to focus on UK market, for what reason ever. Maybe because they speak English there - no translation needed. But UK is not Europe.

My stays go to IHG and Accor, and LHW sometimes. Marriott has excellent coverage in Germany, France, Italy, Spain. SPG in Germany and Italy. Hyatt could be worth to look into because of improved France coverage, now four new hotels, total seven there. Those expansion would have suited Hilton well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.