FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Can't downgrade Amex HH Surpass to free card? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1460344-cant-downgrade-amex-hh-surpass-free-card.html)

elmedico27 Apr 21, 2013 12:29 pm

Can't downgrade Amex HH Surpass to free card?

I've had a Hilton Amex for a couple years now, first the no-fee one, then I upgraded to Surpass back in December. I just took a new job and won't be traveling as much, so I sent a secure message asking to be downgraded back to the no-fee. Here's the Amex response:

Dear Mr. xxxx,

As you are interested in Hilton HHonors Card without the annual fee, the best way forward is to apply for a new Card online.

You can conveniently complete the online application process at (link).

To apply by phone for a Hilton HHonors Card, simply call us anytime at 877-621-2639.

I reviewed your Card and I see that currently there is no offer available for product change. So we will not be able to downgrade or change your existing Card.

We would appreciate your understanding and look forward to assist you.
:confused: Anyone ever received this before? Why won't they let me downgrade? Should I call Amex CS or am I stuck with the Surpass?

skitch23 Apr 21, 2013 1:04 pm

If you just upgraded in December you might as well wait til the annual fee is due again before you cancel... Then you will at least still get the perks of gold if your travel schedule changes again.

olwagner Apr 30, 2013 5:04 pm

I just got the same response on the phone. Btw, if you want to cancel you can do so by calling 1-855-234-5458 and you won't even have to talk to a human.

akp Apr 30, 2013 9:16 pm

See the Surpass thread for much more on this situation. Start at post # 2094.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...press-140.html

nccarguy May 3, 2013 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by elmedico27 (Post 20628327)
I've had a Hilton Amex for a couple years now, first the no-fee one, then I upgraded to Surpass back in December. I just took a new job and won't be traveling as much, so I sent a secure message asking to be downgraded back to the no-fee. Here's the Amex response:

:confused: Anyone ever received this before? Why won't they let me downgrade? Should I call Amex CS or am I stuck with the Surpass?

I had the Delta Reserve card and asked to switch to the Hilton Surpass card in December as I was not flying Delta much after a switch to US Airways. They responded within an hour to my email. I was told ok after I agreed to product switch and forfeiture of any unearned Delta miles (there were none). After receiving the card I got 40,000 Hilton points posted to my account. I neve thought I would get bonus points for changing the card.

Fast forward to Monday. I emailed Amex and stated that I was unhappy with Hilton's point devaluation but was happy with Amex and asked if I could change the card again to a Costco True Earnings Card. Within a couple of hours I got an response stating I could not switch to the Costco card but if I wanted rewards I could switch to the Blue Cash or Blue Cash preferred. I asked for the Blue Cash Rewards. This morning my card has been switched on the website.

Two cards swaps in less than 6 months. I would ask again

mia May 4, 2013 12:25 pm

Moderator action

Thread transferred to HHonors forum, the primary discussion venue for all Hilton topics including co-branded credit cards.

BrlDsguise May 4, 2013 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by skitch23 (Post 20628473)
If you just upgraded in December you might as well wait til the annual fee is due again before you cancel... Then you will at least still get the perks of gold if your travel schedule changes again.

Amex will prorate the fee refund if the OP cancels, and canceling will not affect gold status.

ncgator May 6, 2013 5:54 am

I had the Surpass card had no issues downgrading to the no fee card. I did this soon after the announcement of the deval and after receiving the new Cit card. Wonder why they would have changed this policy and what the benefit to them would be for them to deny the downgrade.

olwagner May 6, 2013 8:43 am

Secure message on AMEX website?

I seem to be unable to find the secure message area since the AMEX website redesign, could someone direct me there?

Thank you