Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Zagreb {HRV}

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Zagreb {HRV}

Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
A short note about this hotel, following researching a stay here for March next year. There is an alert on the homepage stating:

Due to discontinued operations of the World Class operator, hotel guests will not have access to the pool.

Shame - it was a nice pool. Guests do apparently have access to the gym and sauna facilities according to their site.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Fredd
We checked in here earlier today for a two-night stay. It is a new property and so far we are tremendously impressed.

We arrived in Zagreb by train yesterday and spent our first night at the Westin, an excellent property itself where we were treated very well.
As these two hotels are 40 minutes walking from one another - I'm wondering if you found either locale to be better? There is also the Sheraton almost smack in the middle in case you feel the middle is better?

Trying to decide among the properties.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
As these two hotels are 40 minutes walking from one another - I'm wondering if you found either locale to be better? There is also the Sheraton almost smack in the middle in case you feel the middle is better?

This was our first visit to Zagreb (sadly we haven't yet found time to return) and the weather wasn't great as I mentioned in my OP, so we didn't wander as much as usual and I don't feel qualified to respond.

We would like to return and would also be interested in the responses of others who are more familiar with the city and can discuss preferred areas or neighborhoods.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:30 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry

In terms of central location, the Sheraton would be best to get around of the three you mentioned. I have no idea how good it is but for location it is the best of the three. (Westin/Sheraton/DT). The DT was excellent as a hotel and restaurant but location was a bit out of the way. All locations would be safe and you will not have any issues that way. Even walking back late at night would be no worry, although the side streets going back to the DT are quite quiet at night with few pedestrians and you would have to go past the car park for the main train station which may get some dodgy activity later at night (we didn't encounter any issues though).

In any case, we walked extensively around the city centre (but the weather was good, if cool). The main areas to see are from the train station to the South up to the cathedral as the Northern boundary and just East of the Sheraton (where the Meštrovićev paviljon is located) to over around where the Westin is (as the Western boundary). The main shopping and pedestrian streets are up near the Cathedral and the museums and such are mostly to the West near the Westin from memory. The area around where the Cathedral is is hilly but the rest is flat. The cathedral area is very touristy and quaint but worth looking around.

Personally, I'd still go back to the DT due to the hotel quality and being a bit away from the main tourist area for some of my stay and then actually (a shock to say this on FT) stay at the Esplanade Zagreb Hotel for the days we wanted to be nearer to the centre. The Esplanade is a great piece of history and has its own charm at a very good price point.

If you do walk around the city within the area I mention and see most of the sites and stay at the DT, expect to do at least 10 Km (6 miles) to 16 Km (10 miles) a day though.

A great city and very inexpensive for food and drink. Enjoy ^ , hope this helps.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 4:38 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
If in Zagreb I would opt for the DT (and will do so twice in September and October): It belongs to Hilton, I get my benefits, points and the stay helps in maintaining status. Locationwise there are better options. However, the DT is not that far away from the city center and the bus terminal (airport bus) is only two stops away. I find the Zagreb tram network reliable and comfortable enough to make up for this slightly remote location from the city center.
In my view, the Westin is as centrally located as is the Sheraton. For a more central location I will try the Palace next time (yes, BotB, the Esplanade hotel -built for passengers of the Orient Express those days, is on my bucket list too, but unfortunately neither points nor miles for that...).
Back to the DT Zagreb: I found staff very accomodating, the room great and breakfast very good (2 nights' stay). So I am looking for my two upcoming (1 night) stays.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Enjoyed an overnight stay here last month and would echo what others have said. New property and so the physical plant is very nice. Friendly staff. Solid breakfast buffet which is free for Gold (as opposed to the Sheraton or Westin where you have to be top tier to get breakfast). Location is fine in that the center of Zagreb isn't far by tram from any hotel (although the Westin is better for the main museums). My upgrade was to a corner room on my floor which isn't bigger, just nicer views.

Nice to hear about the taxi option, since with the dollar up against the Euro 200 Kuna is about $30 which is reasonable for the ride and is simpler taking the tram to the bus station (or walking as I did) and then the bus to the airport for a total of about 40 Kuna per person.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Stayed here one night in January. It's pretty much as other posters have remarked. I got a nice corner room on the 7th floor. My only beef was the room temperature was 30C (apparently from the sun exposure) and the controls really don't allow to cool and 20C is the lowest setting. I could never get the temp below 22C and turned the heat off completely at night. The front desk and engineer's responses were "open the window" when I wanted it cooler. Really?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:43 pm

Hello! Any recent reviews and photos? I'll be here for a few nights in the fall. Reviews look good. Is the breakfast still a full breakfast for golds/diamonds? How are suite upgrades?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:56 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Diamond
I stayed there last week. I was very surprised to get such a good service for a relatively obscure location. The room was good and large, with all basic amenities and a nice walk-in shower, I had standard (was not upgraded as gold) but it was perfectly fine. The breakfast was good (full breakfast as part of Gold benefit), as reported not the most extensive but certainly good enough.
The swimming pool was free of charge for guest, as was the sauna and the gym (very large, good selection of machines, dumbbells and free weights).
Excellent properties and I will go back without hesitation.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:52 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I just had a pleasant stay here a few days ago.

1. Confusingly the rates are in euros, but Croatia doesn't use the euro and didn't see any dual pricing at all, unlike in some countries (e.g. Hungary). The prepaid rate I booked was €83.91 per night, but my card statement showed a charge of HRK 603.90 converted to 72.79. This was 1 to €1.153 but the pound to euro rate did not improve beyond 1.125 between booking and staying. So I thought that maybe a hotel tax would be due at check-out, but I wasn't asked to pay anything.

2. I booked the basic room and don't think I was upgraded. The hotel seemed very full and my rate was quite low so not complaining. Others have said everything that needs to be said about the rooms.

3. In the room were a personal handwritten welcome card, fruits, 2 small bottles of wine, 2 large plastic bottles of Jana water (not glass, so actually practical to take out), and some chocolately snacks.

4. The Sofra Bosnian restaurant mentioned in the OP is still there and excellent. We got takeaway costing 110 kuna for 2, and was too much to finish. After ordering, we visited the supermarket through the revolving doors by the Asian restaurant, and the food was ready on return. With our meal we had the wine gifted by the hotel, which was pretty nice. A burek ("pie" on the English menu) was 25-30 kuna and would suffice for one, if really wanting cheap yet good.

5. Breakfast selection was limited compared to some other DTs. Chicken sausages tasted a bit weird. The teapots only held enough water for one cup. Egg station was nice. Main issue was small size of the restaurant. At 7.30am they had to tell people to go away and come back in 10 minutes. There is an outdoor seating area but nobody seemed to want to sit there, might have been a bit chilly. We had to sit at a "communal" table each morning because all the smaller tables were occupied. Overall still good.

6. As mentioned by others, the location is a bit off. There seem to be many offices in the area so if you have business nearby it would be great, but not as good for tourists. The Canopy location is much better, but I walked past the construction site and it didn't look anywhere near to being ready to open in the next 3 months.

As mentioned, tram 2 does take you to the main bus station and the main train station. You can buy 30-minute tickets from the newsagent kiosks for 4kn each (15kn from the driver). Paper ticket validators are only at the very front and sometimes the very back of the tram. There are smartcard validators throughout the tram, but I didn't investigate this further as you probably won't take the tram that often unless you are repeatedly travelling far.

I had several issues with the trams: when a ticket is only 4kn then the hotel is just a bit too far to walk, yet I ended up walking half the time.

This summer's European heatwave still seems to be ongoing in Croatia, and Google maps reporting of Zagreb tram times is inaccurate. The first trip to the hotel, I couldn't even push through the hot and smelly crowd to reach the validator so it was a free trip. The second time, I missed the tram by 30 seconds because Google said it was coming in 2 minutes. There is no shelter so I just walked rather than waiting under scorching sun for another 12 minutes (you can walk under shade of buildings).

The third time, I took a different tram because number 2 was not coming for 15 minutes, but the driver was told to finish short and turn back, so got turfed out and it was faster to just walk back as my ticket would have expired by the time the next tram + one transfer arrived at the hotel.

7. Everyone in Zagreb I encountered spoke English well, even old people. The only unpleasant experience was getting accosted by the clipboard beggars around the cathedral.

8. The hotel's airport transfer is now 140kn while the bus from the bus station remains 30kn. Worth considering if you have 4 people, or 3 with luggage, or hate public transport.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by :D!

6. As mentioned by others, the location is a bit off. There seem to be many offices in the area so if you have business nearby it would be great, but not as good for tourists. The Canopy location is much better, but I walked past the construction site and it didn't look anywhere near to being ready to open in the next 3 months.

As mentioned, tram 2 does take you to the main bus station and the main train station. You can buy 30-minute tickets from the newsagent kiosks for 4kn each (15kn from the driver). Paper ticket validators are only at the very front and sometimes the very back of the tram. There are smartcard validators throughout the tram, but I didn't investigate this further as you probably won't take the tram that often unless you are repeatedly travelling far.

I had several issues with the trams: when a ticket is only 4kn then the hotel is just a bit too far to walk, yet I ended up walking half the time.

This summer's European heatwave still seems to be ongoing in Croatia, and Google maps reporting of Zagreb tram times is inaccurate. The first trip to the hotel, I couldn't even push through the hot and smelly crowd to reach the validator so it was a free trip. The second time, I missed the tram by 30 seconds because Google said it was coming in 2 minutes. There is no shelter so I just walked rather than waiting under scorching sun for another 12 minutes (you can walk under shade of buildings).

The third time, I took a different tram because number 2 was not coming for 15 minutes, but the driver was told to finish short and turn back, so got turfed out and it was faster to just walk back as my ticket would have expired by the time the next tram + one transfer arrived at the hotel.

8. The hotel's airport transfer is now 140kn while the bus from the bus station remains 30kn. Worth considering if you have 4 people, or 3 with luggage, or hate public transport.
I live in Zagreb, and I would prefer location of DT vs Canopy, because Zagreb is safe city, and trams are driving until midnight (last tour of trams goes at 11pm from the first stop in all directions). Night tram/bus service exists, but it is not convenient because there is only 1 in 60/90 minutes. Yes, Canopy is closer to main square or Zrinjevac, but I would say that DT is also within walking distance (or you can take half hour drive with a tram), especially off rush hours (I would say that rush hours in Zagreb are 7:30-9:00 and 16:00-18:00). Canopy is more convenient for railway station, but if you are going to/from bus station (even for the airport) I would prefer to go to DT, and I would not wait for a tram number 2, rather take a 10 minute walk (if you do not have some bulky luggage).

To be honest, we do not rely on tram schedule, because at least half of the tram rails are on the car road so it is very hard for them to predict exact timing down the route (they obey timing hard only on first station, but a tram does not wait for scheduled departure on other stations). They try to make it as correct as possible, but some discrepancies occur often (especially after 10 pm trams often arrive earlier than planned). Our way is to go to astation look at the arrivals board (if exists) and decide whether to take the first tram in desired direction (I know that tourists prefer follow suggested routing, but tram network is not complicated, a lot of lines overlap so you can easily route yourself by alternative tram if you know where are you heading).

Regarding taxis to the airport, Uber is alternative, it starts (without surge) with 110kn and if it is off peak hour you can make it with that amount...
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Canopy by Hilton Zagreb

Apologies for crashing this thread, but couldnt find a separate thread for it.

Staying at the Canopy tomorrow for a couple of nights.

What is the best way to get from the Airport for two people with a suitcase each?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by adobbing
Apologies for crashing this thread, but couldnt find a separate thread for it.

Staying at the Canopy tomorrow for a couple of nights.

What is the best way to get from the Airport for two people with a suitcase each?
The best (easiest) way is taxi. But, if you take a car located at the airport, it should be in the range 200-300 HRK (27-40). I don't know exact price because I never use them, they are too expensive (they charge way more than companies from the city of Zagreb when they take you to the airport). Other option is Uber, should be around 100HRK (~15). Croatia had changed regulation regarding taxis this year, so currently I don't know what is the status of Zagreb companies (Eko taksi, Cammeo, Radio Taxi Zagreb) to pick-up passengers from the terminal. (taxify also offers service in Zagreb, but did not use them yet, so can't tell anything about them)

Another option is to take a bus, Croatia Airlines buses are parked when you exit the terminal building, and they are going to the main bus station. Price is 30HRK (~4) per person. The main bus station is 700 meters from the hotel, and I recommend you to walk the distance. You can take a tram (numbers 2/4/6, northbound direction from the tram station at main bus station), but since there is no tram station in front of your hotel, you will end up walking, but this time half of the distance (+ time you spend waiting for tram and buying ticket). Tram tickets are 15 HRK (~2) in the vehicle, or 4 HRK (~0.6) in kiosks around city (ask for half-hour ticket).

I usually use Uber or Croatia Airlines bus.

Not recommended (but cheapest) option is to go by public transportation (ZET company - running buses and trams in Zagreb). Bus 290 stops at the road in front of the terminal building.Their frequencies are very low (1 bus every 35 min), and it would take you transfer at Heinzelova street bus stop, where you should take tram number 2 going westbound (direction Črnomerec) and you should exit at Branimirova street (just after you pass the main bus station). Overall price for that would be 10 HRK (~1,5) per person if you buy your ticket at the Tisak store in the airport building. This time ask for 90-minute ticket. My estimate that this trip would take you an hour...
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by aleant
The best (easiest) way is taxi. But, if you take a car located at the airport, it should be in the range 200-300 HRK (27-40). I don't know exact price because I never use them, they are too expensive (they charge way more than companies from the city of Zagreb when they take you to the airport). Other option is Uber, should be around 100HRK (~15). Croatia had changed regulation regarding taxis this year, so currently I don't know what is the status of Zagreb companies (Eko taksi, Cammeo, Radio Taxi Zagreb) to pick-up passengers from the terminal. (taxify also offers service in Zagreb, but did not use them yet, so can't tell anything about them)

Another option is to take a bus, Croatia Airlines buses are parked when you exit the terminal building, and they are going to the main bus station. Price is 30HRK (~4) per person. The main bus station is 700 meters from the hotel, and I recommend you to walk the distance. You can take a tram (numbers 2/4/6, northbound direction from the tram station at main bus station), but since there is no tram station in front of your hotel, you will end up walking, but this time half of the distance (+ time you spend waiting for tram and buying ticket). Tram tickets are 15 HRK (~2) in the vehicle, or 4 HRK (~0.6) in kiosks around city (ask for half-hour ticket).

I usually use Uber or Croatia Airlines bus.

Not recommended (but cheapest) option is to go by public transportation (ZET company - running buses and trams in Zagreb). Bus 290 stops at the road in front of the terminal building.Their frequencies are very low (1 bus every 35 min), and it would take you transfer at Heinzelova street bus stop, where you should take tram number 2 going westbound (direction Črnomerec) and you should exit at Branimirova street (just after you pass the main bus station). Overall price for that would be 10 HRK (~1,5) per person if you buy your ticket at the Tisak store in the airport building. This time ask for 90-minute ticket. My estimate that this trip would take you an hour...
Thanks for response!

A bit of an update;

Contacted the hotel direct on [email protected]

Response was;

I would like to take this opportunity to offer our hotel transfer from the airport at the discounted price for Hilton Honours members of 170 HRK (approximately 23 EUR) between the hours 6:00 and 22:00 for maximum 3 people. Our premium cars are equipped with wi-fi and bottled water and are driven by English speaking drivers.

When I tried to book it with them I was told that they were busy and couldnt do, however was offered a taxi from Eko Taxi at an agreed rate of 150 KN.
Opted for that and driver met us in arrivals hall, journey about 20 minutes from airport and driver took payment by MasterCard. Some sort of offer with Eko Taxi and Mastercard offering 20% discount on future trips, I think linked to downloading their iPhone app.

Hotel is good, only open since November 2nd and is just down the street from Sheraton. Tram stop is directly beneath our window, but noise insulation seems good.

Will probably try and set up a separate thread and post some pictures!

Last edited by adobbing; Dec 10, 2018 at 5:30 am
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:24 am

Any recent experiences with this hotel?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.