Devaluation has started

Old Mar 28, 13, 11:44 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by AtomicLush View Post
I also rebooked a couple of my points + cash hotels. As long as the hotel stayed in the same category or lower than before the deval, then the C&P's are lower. It's worth it to check all prior bookings.
There are indeed some good points + $ rates. I changed Conrad Macao and Hilton NRT where both the points and cash were lower.
Old Mar 28, 13, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LA_FadeAway View Post
Then the supervisor told my rep that they actually made the change at midnight eastern time, not central like they had been telling everyone. Looks like I'm sticking with my original reservation.

She said it shows both point values because she updated my phone number on it after midnight eastern but that I'm still locked in at the old points. Kinda scarey.
I had a hunch this might happen - even posted about it yesterday.

The online alert I saw said 12:01AM CST. Either Hilton intended that and it worked exactly as planned, or perhaps they genuinely intended the old rates to stay up until 12:01AM CDT (1:01AM EDT) but it didn't get programmed that way.

I can easily see phone agents telling people they had until "midnight central time" with no daylight/standard mention, leading most callers to think they had until midnight CDT.
Old Mar 28, 13, 11:53 am

Programs: RC Plat
Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
Just re-booked the Doubletree SeaTac. Went from 15K plus $50, to 8K plus $40.
I like that hotel...

Great rate too.

Devaluation is not all bad?
Old Mar 28, 13, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ashishduh View Post
Looks like GLON is gone and replaced by "fifth night free", as expected. The point costs you see for 5+ night stays have factored in the fifth night free as well. So a five night stay at a 70k hotel will show a cost of 56k per night, a six night stay will show 58,100 per night, etc.
Those HH idiots...
Old Mar 28, 13, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Gold
Has anyone been able to confirm the new AXON details? Did it end up changing at all? My dad got in at 11:50pm last night to someone after being on hold for 15-20mins and was able to book 4 nights at HK Conrad. We booked 8 at Maldives Conrad. Would be interesting if that has not changed.

EDIT: I called and woman confirmed AXON is still there but only Cat 5-7 as it was before, except of course that tons of the hotels have increased in category rating.

Last edited by glocklt4; Mar 28, 13 at 2:04 pm
Old Mar 28, 13, 6:09 pm

I can confirm it is still there as I booked an award post-devaluation, March 28. For me it was a move to reduce total points spent, as my WA became a cat 7 and thus bookable with AXON. 25K points back into my account.

I am starting to think it's not that bad except for 10 or so highest-end opulent properties - Moorea, Bora-Bora, Rangali, Seychelles, Bali, Tokyo, DT Times Square, Grand Wailea. These however always required a ton of money spent on the vacation even when the room was free, plus travel from many locations was a killer (30+ hrs on the planes/airports) plus a ton of miles or $$$ needed. But the regular decents hotels and resorts are still there, and some have become even a better value.
Old Mar 28, 13, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by jjfly View Post
it changed while i was booking
If i use points+cash for the hotel, do I still earn the points for the cash i paid?

No.
Old Mar 28, 13, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Nyurka View Post
I am starting to think it's not that bad except for 10 or so highest-end opulent properties - Moorea, Bora-Bora, Rangali, Seychelles, Bali, Tokyo, DT Times Square, Grand Wailea.
I wouldn't exactly call DoubleTree Suites Times Square high-end or opulent, outrageous New Year's Eve rates notwithstanding.
Old Mar 28, 13, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Nyurka View Post
I can confirm it is still there as I booked an award post-devaluation, March 28. For me it was a move to reduce total points spent, as my WA became a cat 7 and thus bookable with AXON. 25K points back into my account.

I am starting to think it's not that bad except for 10 or so highest-end opulent properties - Moorea, Bora-Bora, Rangali, Seychelles, Bali, Tokyo, DT Times Square, Grand Wailea. These however always required a ton of money spent on the vacation even when the room was free, plus travel from many locations was a killer (30+ hrs on the planes/airports) plus a ton of miles or $$$ needed. But the regular decents hotels and resorts are still there, and some have become even a better value.
With the % of hotels that increased a category, and the introduction of seasonal pricing as well, it is hard to understate the magnitude of this change.

However, there are also some properties that dropped a category. And on the lower end properties in general , the impact was not nearly as significant.
Old Mar 28, 13, 7:01 pm
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
I tried a hypothetical reservation of 6 nights, but at the room rate details it showed 6 x the rate (no 5th night off).
How can we get the 5th night free rate?
Old Mar 28, 13, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by zaf View Post
I tried a hypothetical reservation of 6 nights, but at the room rate details it showed 6 x the rate (no 5th night off).
How can we get the 5th night free rate?
What CAT hotel?

What was the nightly rate?

Somebody else explained that they automatically deduct the free night by dividing the total points needed (deducting the free night) across all of the nights of your stay.

So, a 4 night stay at a 50,000 point/night property would read:
200,000 Total

A five night stay would read:
200,000 Total
Old Mar 28, 13, 7:11 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite
I gave up on Hilton long ago. Suckiest points program on the planet. You stay and stay and get nothing and now its nothing less 10%.
Old Mar 28, 13, 7:16 pm
zaf

Originally Posted by LarkSFO View Post
What CAT hotel?

What was the nightly rate?

Somebody else explained that they automatically deduct the free night by dividing the total points needed (deducting the free night) across all of the nights of your stay.

So, a 4 night stay at a 50,000 point/night property would read:
200,000 Total

A five night stay would read:
200,000 Total
Yes you are right. I just tried it.

I booked tropicana las vegas for 4 nights @ 34k a night a couple of weeks ago, today a 4 night stay would cost 50k/night...
I will recalculate the points value and see if its worth staying with hilton..
Old Mar 28, 13, 7:31 pm
zaf

I just did a quick SPG vs HH. I don't know if I am completely off here as I did it in a rush. But I think the grass is not greener at starwood.

HH:
80k points / nights
rate = $350
value 0.4 cents / point
This means 7 cents per dollar spent on hilton property as Gold (double dipping points and points, if not double dipping then 6 cents per dollar).

SPG:
25k points
rate = $350 dollars
value of 1.4 cents / point
4.2 cents per dollar spent on SPG property as Gold

I did not use property vs property comparison, I just took a hypothetical value of a higher end Hilton and SPG as $350 and used an almost top rate at hilton and second to highest at SPG.
Old Mar 28, 13, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, Hilton-DIA
ORD airport Hilton in July. $130 or 90,000+ HH points. Get real.

Search this Thread