Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Are properties bound to honor the Room Type Booked? [Booked King, received Twin]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are properties bound to honor the Room Type Booked? [Booked King, received Twin]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2013, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver

[note]I have searched and searched but can't find a dedicated thread on this[/note]

Details are sketchy currently, hoever:

- I have an acquaintance who is of Gold status.

- They booked a King Room online for a stay earlier this week.

- When they arrived the hotel was only was able to give them a Twin Room and no other options were available.

There were other issues, but I'll leave it at this.

I have given advice to contact customer care on HHonors worldwide. They have emailed the manager.

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/support/index.html

http://secure.hilton.com/en/hi/feedb...sistance.jhtml

As per the thread title, are properties bound to honor the room type booked and if so, what remedies does a guest have f the property cannot.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:00 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Usually the reservation confirmation will include a line like

Your room type preferences have been submitted with your reservation, and are subject to hotel availability.

So if they don't have what you booked, they don't have to honor it. If they put you in a room that sells for less, I would expect they adjust the rate downward to the rate for the room they give you. Beyond that, I wouldn't be holding my breath for any compensation.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:16 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cordelli
Usually the reservation confirmation will include a line like

Your room type preferences have been submitted with your reservation, and are subject to hotel availability.

So if they don't have what you booked, they don't have to honor it. If they put you in a room that sells for less, I would expect they adjust the rate downward to the rate for the room they give you. Beyond that, I wouldn't be holding my breath for any compensation.
You are correct. Also, by the time one will check in, the previously lower priced room will have become higher due to the hotel being full and there would be no "lower cost" to refund. In fact, they might even consider it an upgrade.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Well there you go ... certainly not good PR when it happens.

I guess they wold be less likely to do this to a Diamond.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:07 pm

I wouldn't bet money on it, but I believe things have to be split into two separate categories:

- room category
- room preferences

Room category can be a mix of quality level (standard, superior, deluxe, etc.) and bedding type (double, twin, king, triple).

Room preferences are things that one can request but are usually not guaranteed, such as high floor, far from the elevator, early check-in or late check-out, ***and in those cases where you book a non-specific bed type room, also bed type preference***

I think that when you book a specific bed type, and room category, the hotel is responsible for having that particular room available, if not, compensation schemes should be applied.
But when you book anything generic, and additional requests go under the "preferences" sections, then that will be given to you only if available at time of check-in.

Example: what if two colleagues, who don't know each other that well, get to share a room for the sake of saving on travel expenses, and they specifically reserve a twin bed room, only to find there is only a queen bed room when they get there? It makes things a little awkward.
Or what about your honeymoon? Is the hotel really not bound to have a queen or kind bed room for you and you should know you might end up in a twin room?
Doesn't sound likely.

Those are my 2 cents.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:10 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
I just looked at my last reservation for said property referred to in post#1, and it definitely states:
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by kpc
I just looked at my last reservation for said property referred to in post#1, and it definitely states:
kpc I don't doubt that, all I'm doing is giving it a different interpretation.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by kpc
And what are your room type preferences on said reservation?

Because on mine my room type is King, and my preferences are high floor away from elevator.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 9:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I'm with thetravelagent on this one. At all the properties I book via Hilton I'm given a choice of room types, which almost always include explicit bed size, and often for different rates. For example the 1 king bed option sometimes costs more than the 1 queen bed option for the same type of room (I had this happen when booking the Embassy Suites in Des Moines earlier this week).

I would expect on check-in to receive the bed type I explicitly booked, especially given the price difference. It's not a preference request, it's a room booking.

Neil
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:41 am

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
Originally Posted by missamo80
I'm with thetravelagent on this one. At all the properties I book via Hilton I'm given a choice of room types, which almost always include explicit bed size, and often for different rates. For example the 1 king bed option sometimes costs more than the 1 queen bed option for the same type of room (I had this happen when booking the Embassy Suites in Des Moines earlier this week).

I would expect on check-in to receive the bed type I explicitly booked, especially given the price difference. It's not a preference request, it's a room booking.

Neil
+1
Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Sometimes you will see on the booking "confirmed" e.g. "Queen non smoking room confirmed". I feel in this case you can expect it.

It can be tricky if the room type doesnt work I understand. Travelling with friends I prefer not to share a king bed lol unless they are "special" friends!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.