Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Besides me, who can change my "My Way" preferences?

Old Mar 7, 2013, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH D, IHG G, SPG G

I haven't posted recently - I tend to lurk, read and digest. But something weird is going on with my "My Way" preferences...

At the start of a recent horrendous stay at the HGI Plymouth, MA, the receptionist did not offer me my breakfast vouchers. When I queried this I was told it was because my preference was set to bonus points not breakfast vouchers. I have never changed this, and every HGI I have stayed in for years has given me breakfast vouchers.

So I checked online in my room immediately after check in and true enough, my preference was set to breakfast.

I've just written a complaint to Hilton regarding how bad the stay was, and posted a stinging Tripadvisor review; and went back online to recheck everything, and my preference had changed to 750 bonus points!

I had not changed this. Any idea who else could change this? My preferences at all other Hilton brands have not been touched.....

Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2013, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by wildthing271
posted a stinging Tripadvisor review
You blamed the hotel because Hilton's IT sucks?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
I think that the OP is implying that the front desk changed his or her preferences after he got to his hotel room. I believe that I have read on this forum that the front desk can make changes.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 5:06 pm

FD staff can, and often does, make changes to MyWay based on your preference at check-in.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
In the old days, before Diamonds got both breakfast and points at Hilton/Doubletree, I had a clerk ask me point blank at check-in which I wanted for that stay, so yes they sure can set it for you. As for your specific stay, I would've noticed the absence of a voucher right away (they have always confirmed it though), so that they could give me one, and change the setting from points. Sometimes, I would prefer the 750 points, but the times I've opted for them, they didn't post; Diamond Desk alternately gave them to me immediately once, and "started a case" that never resulted in anything for the other stay.

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Mar 7, 2013 at 5:20 pm
Old Mar 7, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by smmrfld
FD staff can, and often does, make changes to MyWay based on your preference at check-in.
Yep. FD staff can change just about anything in your profile. Get a new credit card since your last stay? Have the FD agent add it to your profile. Get a new email or real address? Have the FD agent add it to your profile.
Kind of weird that it changed twice, if I read you correctly. Perhaps there is someone else out there with your same name, thinks it is his account (agents can search by name instead of number) and changes it.

For awhile, have the agent check your preference when you check in. At least you will have verification that both of you see.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Recently, the hotel showed I had no FF# for double dipping, so I asked about adding one for miles, and was told, "I can do that, but only for this stay, not permanently."
Old Mar 8, 2013, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH D, IHG G, SPG G
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
No - the stinging review was because of the horrendeous experience at breakfast the following day, not because of this issue, although with hindsight this issue was a precursor, and I'd have been better off taking the bonus points even though that isn't my normal preference.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 6:59 am

It's funny you just mention this, because I just had a similiar experience at a HGI in OKC. I always get points if travelling by myself and breakfast if with family. This time, by myself and I had checked my way preferences a couple days before I left...set to points. I get there and check in. FD staff didn't go over the packet because I had stayed at that brand before. Got up next morning and saw breakfast certs. I went to FD and asked why I got breakfast certs instead of points. They said thats what my way was set to. I think not....I had just checked two days before. I gave back breakfast certs and asked for points. I was told that wasn't possible. I sent a letter to general manager spelling out the situation. Hope I at least get the points back! Frustrating that they can't/won't change it before you check out.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Recently, the hotel showed I had no FF# for double dipping, so I asked about adding one for miles, and was told, "I can do that, but only for this stay, not permanently."
Sounds like the agent did it on the "luggage tag" portion of the folio, which is only good for that stay. They have to go in to the edit functions, which take them to another program, to add/remove/edit things permanently.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
I just read your review on Tripadvisor. OP, this was a well formulated, balanced review where you expressed your dissatisfaction. I wonder what the mangagers' response on Tripadvisor will look like.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think the review was "scathing" at all, but factual: it's the experience you had. The only item where I might take exception was that coffee refills on my HGI visits have been either "wait for the server to come around with a pot" or go to the lobby urns myself - no self-serve coffee in breakfast area itself. Isn't there a spoon provided as part of the table setting? The food situation itself sounded like a real Fawlty Towers morning!

Getting back on track, rather than whining at you, they should've just given up the darned breakfast coupons without a word. Methinks, however, they jolly well knew what was coming and were trying to ... dissuade you from the likely encounter.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: HH D
Just would like to know: how does this work on Tripadvisor? Because you see this happening at almost every hotel. People judging a hotel on six different criteria, with an average score of - for example - 3.5. But still their overall score is a 1, just because of some little personal drama. I just cannot take such reviews seriously.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those kinds of sites, I look at a cross-section of reviews, making a (subjective) determination as to whether they're objective or not.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by Sisosig
Just would like to know: how does this work on Tripadvisor? Because you see this happening at almost every hotel. People judging a hotel on six different criteria, with an average score of - for example - 3.5. But still their overall score is a 1, just because of some little personal drama. I just cannot take such reviews seriously.
I can speak from personal experience during a stay just this past weekend. My room was adjoining to a room with a screaming child in it. I was woken up at 4:30am because of insufficient soundproofing between the rooms. The screaming continued well past 6am and I was unable to get back to sleep. I have been in similar situations before at Disney-run properties amongst other family friendly locations, but it was never this bad.

I gave the hotel a 2 despite rating things like cleanliness and room quality highly, and "sleep quality" poorly. Sometimes one terrible factor outweighs several good ones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.