Honors: gold devaluation

Old Mar 2, 13, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aadvantage, delta, continental
Honors: gold devaluation

I just recently got gold status through founderscard...yeah! Here I am thinking, hooray! awesome! I gotta try this out! That's until I got an email bgasicly saying "sorry, we're devaluing our program, but stay with us anyway!" So I'm looking at orlando properties...and see a resort fee...yuo mean, a ripoff fee? Yeah, kinda makes gold status useless/worthless...is it worth my while to stay at hiltons now? Or go for more budget-conscious options like LQ? Why keep up gold when your paying resort fees anyway? I called hilton and asked about the fee...which is charged to everyone...me, being the complete optomist asked..."well, if I have to pay for this...am I earning points on it?" sadly...no. Am I being too harsh to call it a dealbreaker and switch alegances?
Old Mar 2, 13, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by jordanen View Post
I just recently got gold status through founderscard...yeah! Here I am thinking, hooray! awesome! I gotta try this out! That's until I got an email bgasicly saying "sorry, we're devaluing our program, but stay with us anyway!" So I'm looking at orlando properties...and see a resort fee...yuo mean, a ripoff fee? Yeah, kinda makes gold status useless/worthless...is it worth my while to stay at hiltons now? Or go for more budget-conscious options like LQ? Why keep up gold when your paying resort fees anyway? I called hilton and asked about the fee...which is charged to everyone...me, being the complete optomist asked..."well, if I have to pay for this...am I earning points on it?" sadly...no. Am I being too harsh to call it a dealbreaker and switch alegances?
I don't think so - I think you're absolutely right. As Diamonds, many of us are crying foul with the HH deval. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to use your points and maximize any value if you're a Gold. Now with many Ds burning AXONs like they're going out of style (which they might be), you'll having even less redemption options than you might already have had.
Old Mar 2, 13, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

I hate to seem like the ultimate senic, or an annoying complainer, but just seeing this stuff is rediculous! I liked hiltons because there everywhere, unlike SPG, and they offer more amenities than LQ. Excluding the credit card, gold is difficult to keep up, unless your a business traveler. So what's a good program to get into now without getting shafted? LQ? choice?
Old Mar 2, 13, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by jordanen View Post
I hate to seem like the ultimate senic, or an annoying complainer, but just seeing this stuff is rediculous! I liked hiltons because there everywhere, unlike SPG, and they offer more amenities than LQ. Excluding the credit card, gold is difficult to keep up, unless your a business traveler. So what's a good program to get into now without getting shafted? LQ? choice?
I don't think either one of them combines the widespread availability of location with the standwardization we've come to expect from an HH property. That being said, I'm throwing in with SPG. I realize there might be less of them, but the programs great and the more support we give em, hopefully they'll grow and grow.
Old Mar 2, 13, 6:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
How exactly does a resort fee devalue gold benefits?

You still get all the benefits, but like everybody else staying at that property, you have to pay a resort fee.
Old Mar 2, 13, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

How does it devalue it? Things like HSIA and the fitness facilities should be free with gold status. Yeah, I got it free this year, but i'll have to requalify...I would drop the subject if you could earn points on the resort fee, but sadly no. If the fee was only 10/day for golds I'd be happy also...sadly, its not. I've never been HH gold before, so before I make too critical of a judgement, are the room upgrades any good, is it hit-or-miss? With the resort fee, there doesn't seem to be much reason to qualify the hard way for gold. Will other Hilton properties charge such a fee in the future?
Old Mar 2, 13, 7:06 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
I think you need to set your expectations right. There is no mentioning of waiving resort fee in Gold benefit. For me, I know I will get free Internet and bonus points. That is it. So when I ocasionally get an upgrade, that will make my trip.
Old Mar 2, 13, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Yeah your right...bonus points are great! And its not just the resort fee that grabs at me...since i don't travel a boatload are the reward redemtions possibilities good? According to my calculations, the ratio of pionts to cash spend on nights is like 20/1 while LQ's is 10/1 which is standard for most programs. Both devaluations have me shaking my head.
Old Mar 2, 13, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Looking at the properties in Orlando, I'll probably pick something different that charges no resort fee. There's gotta be a couple out there. An upgrade doesn't matter a whole ton to me, although its nice when i can grab one. I wouldn't expect an upgrade all the time just because I'm gold...my overall concern is reward choices versus points required for a nice reward. And, one more question, does the 25% bonus base points count as elite base points for status?
Old Mar 2, 13, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

After doing some browsing, I found 3 properties that don't charge the pesky fee. I looked at the reward options too. It seems that my expectations were lofty. Getting a reward can be easy...assuming your earnings style is points and points, as a gold you egt 17.5 points per dollar of hotel spend...as for other charges, food Etc. i may get ome points for that also, but as always YMMV.
Old Mar 2, 13, 8:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA Platinum
It would be great if everyone jumped ship so I could actually get a real upgrade as diamond. My points redemptions will still be subpar, but maybe it will change if enough people leave who have a choice with their company travel policy. Unfortunately my company very strongly mandates staying at Hilton's.
Old Mar 2, 13, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

I agree with your opinion Jim...some companies may be very strict because they most likely have a contract/negotiated rate with hilton. And, let's not forget the discount elite rewards.
Old Mar 2, 13, 8:28 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
I understand people who acchieve gold by actually staying at Hiltons for 20 stays or 40 nights complaining about benefits. But I don't understand people who are gold through a credit card complaining about how Hilton is treating their "most loyal guests".

Not that many Hiltons charge the fee to begin with. Golds get free breakfast, free wifi, a shot at an upgrade and lounge access if upgraded.

AFAIK there are no US hotel chains that give all those benefits to their credit card holders. Hyatt won't give you free breakfast or an upgrade by having their credit card like Hilton. Marriott won't either and you don't even get free wifi at many properties by just having their credit card.

I believe SPG waives the resort fee for Platuinums and golds but they don't hand out gold status easilly like Hilton. You have to actually stay in their hotels to be gold even with a credit card.

Hilton probably would waive the resort fees for golds like they do diamonds if everyone qualified by staying 20 stays or 40 nights. I would never expect a hotel chain to waive a resort fee just because I had their credit card.
Old Mar 2, 13, 8:32 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
I don't think either one of them combines the widespread availability of location with the standwardization we've come to expect from an HH property. That being said, I'm throwing in with SPG. I realize there might be less of them, but the programs great and the more support we give em, hopefully they'll grow and grow.
I think SPG gives better benefits than Hilton. But status with them is also harder to get. They don't give out status by just having a credit card.

And SPG rewards their more loyal guests. The more nights you stay with SPG, the greater your chances are of an upgrade. Someone that has 75 nights a year with SPG will get a higher priority than someone who only spends 50. SPG also has the 24 hour revolving check in for the guests that stay with them a lot which would be great for Europe travel if you want to check in before noon and will be departing on your stay before noon with the flight times the way they are. Would also be great for the times I land late on the west coast and take a red eye home. If I check in at 10 p.m. and have a three night stay I can check out at 10 p.m. 72-hours later, not by noon three days later.

With the Delta partnership, I am seriously considering giving SPG more business.
Old Mar 2, 13, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by JimJ321 View Post
It would be great if everyone jumped ship so I could actually get a real upgrade as diamond. My points redemptions will still be subpar, but maybe it will change if enough people leave who have a choice with their company travel policy. Unfortunately my company very strongly mandates staying at Hilton's.
With the devaluation, it would be nice if Hilton gave guaranteed suite upgrades like Hyatt and SPG does for personal travel. And if Hilton would give upgrades to their most loyal guests like SPG does. The more nights you spend at SPG, the higher you go up in the queue for an upgrade. If Hilton used SPG's policy, a diamond who stays with Hilton 90 nights a year would get a better shot at a suite than a diamond who only spends 30 nights a year with Hilton and has their status through credit card spend.

SPG and Hyatt won't just give out status with credit card spend and their programs are better. Hyatt gives a FULL breakfast to diamonds if there is no lounge, guaranteed 4 p.m. check out and a couple guaranteed suite upgrades a year. SPG gives their golds and platinums a 4 p.m. guaranteed checkout and some platinums get a 24 hour revolving checkout.

I'm just nervous SPG's program will get devalued with the Delta partnership

Search this Thread
Search Engine: