Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt DMD
Sorry if this has been discussed, but I did a search and couldn't find a direct answer.

I am looking to book the Hilton Singapore in a couple of weeks. It is a category 7 so points should be 30-60,000 points depending on season. However, a one night stay is quoting out at 115,005 and that is for an executive room. Suites are 156,000 and higher.

Is the discrepancy due to what they consider the difference between a "standard" room and an "executive" room?
Old Mar 29, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
The regular redemption rate only allows you to book the standard room, see this thread for detail:

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Originally Posted by edrags
Sorry if this has been discussed, but I did a search and couldn't find a direct answer.

I am looking to book the Hilton Singapore in a couple of weeks. It is a category 7 so points should be 30-60,000 points depending on season. However, a one night stay is quoting out at 115,005 and that is for an executive room. Suites are 156,000 and higher.

Is the discrepancy due to what they consider the difference between a "standard" room and an "executive" room?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stifle
Haven't AXONs been abolished?
No, see AXON thread.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by edrags

30-60000 is for a standard room. Executive room != standard room.

[Although I think the standard room in that hotel is called a Deluxe Room.]
Old Mar 30, 2013, 5:01 pm

Long time lurker of this forum - had to sign up to say this change by Hilton is an absolute disgrace and disgusting - I also have the AMEX card which I will be canceling or no longer using, and will definitely go out of my way to NOT stay at Hilton properties - which previously I always went out of my way TO state at these locations.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by criznag
Long time lurker of this forum - had to sign up to say this change by Hilton is an absolute disgrace and disgusting
Welcome to FT - where over the top hyperbole is always in fashion.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
Welcome to FT - where over the top hyperbole is always in fashion.
Well..you can tell I'm bitter..800k+ points I feel wasted, which, to my fault I never took advantage of so probably was only a matter of time, but still - I've been loyal, put 20k a year on the credit card (which I'm no longer using), and the hotels I really want to stay at costing double or triple..oh well.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by criznag
Well..you can tell I'm bitter..800k+ points I feel wasted, which, to my fault I never took advantage of so probably was only a matter of time, but still - I've been loyal, put 20k a year on the credit card (which I'm no longer using), and the hotels I really want to stay at costing double or triple..oh well.
Hardly wasted, just worth half as much at many higher end properties and worth the same at some other properties.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by whimike
Hardly wasted, just worth half as much at many higher end properties and worth the same at some other properties.
Given all the analogies of having one's savings "robbed" upthread, we can perhaps call HH the "Cyprus banking" of hotel rewards schemes?

The devaluation has certainly happened, and it is brutally severe for some properties which represented excellent value before. There is new superb value to be had, but no longer at 'top-end' hotels.

tb
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Late March, 2014 inventory for Hilton Bentley in Miami never opened up so I got screwed there
Amen to that brother.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by whimike
True, but part of my reason for saving the points was to make sure I use them at those higher end properties..guess they caught on!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by trueblu
Given all the analogies of having one's savings "robbed" upthread, we can perhaps call HH the "Cyprus banking" of hotel rewards schemes?

The devaluation has certainly happened, and it is brutally severe for some properties which represented excellent value before. There is new superb value to be had, but no longer at 'top-end' hotels.

tb
Good analogy with Cyprus. Certainly those with high point balances (over 100,000) are getting most of the sting. And... the "haircut" is pretty close to 40%.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
5th award night free when you book 4 consecutive.
Has anyone booked one of these yet? Does it apply only to standard rooms or are premium rooms also included?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by trueblu

tb
You can look at it that way, but I have always viewed it as the SkyMiles of the hotel programs, and likely forever will. Odd that SM decided to pair with SPG and not with HHonors.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Has anyone booked one of these yet? Does it apply only to standard rooms or are premium rooms also included?
That's a really good question as sometimes the Premiums are the same as standard room costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.