Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Old Mar 18, 2013, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by whimike
If a hotel charges your CC without your authorization they are in breach of their merchant agreement and it would be reversed immediately upon calling your CC.
Don't rely on that. Two examples:

*I bought an unlocked "Motorola" cell phone in Florida. Chinese was the default language on it and when I tried to get it changed to English, and have Hebrew fonts put in it in a shop in Boston, I was told that it was a knock-off, manufactured in China, and could not download diddly.

I went to a second shop in DC, was told the same thing, and then I contacted Amex to get my money refunded. Amex investigated, saw that I had signed for it, and refused my refund. I spoke to them again, said I never denied signing for it, but it was not a real Motorola. I suggested that they send someone to this shop to see if he gets the real thing or a knock-off. Finally, after about 4 months, the charge was dropped.

*I made a pre-paid reservation in Israel with Avis in MXP. I paid for LDW but was told that if I want "Super CDW" I would have to get it in MXP. If I did not get it, I would be liable for the first 300 Euros in damage.

When I got to MXP I was given a contract which said that I was being given the Super CDW at no charge. About a month later, I was charged 1000 Euros for damage to the car (Avis MXP claimed there was a chip in the windshield). I contested it with MasterCard and was told that they have an agreement with Avis that they will honor all charges.

I went to the Avis office in Tel Aviv where I made the rental and said that there was no damage that I saw, if there had been it would have been covered by the "Super CDW" which my contract says I was given at no charge, and even if I did not have that "Super CDW" I was only liable for the first 300 Euros.

Avis-Tel Aviv agreed to investigate it, found that the previous renter had been charged the same 1000 Euros for the chip in the windshield (which, if it existed, must have been microscopic) but that Avis-MXP refused their request to credit my MasterCard. Instead, Avis-Tel Aviv gave me the 1000 Euros in Israeli shekels in cash.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 9:43 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Dovster
*I made a pre-paid reservation in Israel with Avis ...in Israeli shekels in cash.
Doesn't AMEX still cover this when you use their card to rent a car?

(My employer is self insured so I quit keeping up with this, I also believe my USAA auto insurance covers the deductable)
Old Mar 18, 2013, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by underpressure

(My employer is self insured so I quit keeping up with this, I also believe my USAA auto insurance covers the deductable)
Yes&No and No.

1. It depends on which insurance coverage you have. Amex basic (secondary) insurance is not as comprehensive as one might assume (ie. read the fine print - all of it). However, Amex's Premium version of Car Rental Insurance acts as Primary coverage, and is much more comprehensive (and has no deductible, to boot).

2. I believe Israel is one of those countries that is excluded from both coverages.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Dovster
Don't rely on that. Two examples:

*I bought an unlocked "Motorola" cell phone in Florida. Chinese was the default language on it and when I tried to get it changed to English, and have Hebrew fonts put in it in a shop in Boston, I was told that it was a knock-off, manufactured in China, and could not download diddly.

I went to a second shop in DC, was told the same thing, and then I contacted Amex to get my money refunded. Amex investigated, saw that I had signed for it, and refused my refund. I spoke to them again, said I never denied signing for it, but it was not a real Motorola. I suggested that they send someone to this shop to see if he gets the real thing or a knock-off. Finally, after about 4 months, the charge was dropped.

*I made a pre-paid reservation in Israel with Avis in MXP. I paid for LDW but was told that if I want "Super CDW" I would have to get it in MXP. If I did not get it, I would be liable for the first 300 Euros in damage.

When I got to MXP I was given a contract which said that I was being given the Super CDW at no charge. About a month later, I was charged 1000 Euros for damage to the car (Avis MXP claimed there was a chip in the windshield). I contested it with MasterCard and was told that they have an agreement with Avis that they will honor all charges.

I went to the Avis office in Tel Aviv where I made the rental and said that there was no damage that I saw, if there had been it would have been covered by the "Super CDW" which my contract says I was given at no charge, and even if I did not have that "Super CDW" I was only liable for the first 300 Euros.

Avis-Tel Aviv agreed to investigate it, found that the previous renter had been charged the same 1000 Euros for the chip in the windshield (which, if it existed, must have been microscopic) but that Avis-MXP refused their request to credit my MasterCard. Instead, Avis-Tel Aviv gave me the 1000 Euros in Israeli shekels in cash.
I read this post twice and see nothing related to Hilton and especially the change in point increase.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by sharklover
Actually beer in the Conrad Maldives costs around $5 if you get it at happy hour which is what I did everyday. Also food at Rangali bar is really good and prices are around $25.
Some food at the bar is a bit more than that but don't forget to add 18% tax & service charge on top.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I read this post twice and see nothing related to Hilton and especially the change in point increase.
Then you should have read the OP that was quoted prior to this, within said post. It was refuting the notion that a CC auth could be easily dropped when taken out by an HH property, which related to an earlier post.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Private Pyle
Some food at the bar is a bit more than that but don't forget to add 18% tax & service charge on top.
The tax must be new. When I was last there you only had to pay 10% service.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:57 am
Original Member

Not yet. I need to make one more reservation on the 27th and then will follow up with the hotel etc.

Originally Posted by kryten22uk
So did you get anywhere yet?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by underpressure

I have a US-issued AMEX but because I do not live in the States the insurance does not cover me.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Does anybody have a listing of the new hotels levels sorted by category (e.g. Cat 10's, then cat 9's, etc.)?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by whimike
Perhaps, but my rate is listed as 300,000 points. That is what I would be liable for.
In order to book a reward stay, a credit card 'guarantee' is required. Without a cc guarantee the stay cannot be booked.

You might check the verbiage of your reward reservation (all might be different and I don't have one here in front of me), I'm not sure exactly what the fine print says, but it may answer your questions/issues.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Luxury Beach Hilton Property

In light of the devaluation, I am considering making a future award booking preferably on a luxury beach property either in continental USA or somewhere not too far away (e.g. Caribbean). Can somebody pls suggest a few high end HH properties (and which months to go) that I can consider? I am already considering Hilton Bentley Miami beach. TIA!

Last edited by gv111; Mar 18, 2013 at 8:31 pm
Old Mar 19, 2013, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by gv111
In light of the devaluation, I am considering making a future award booking preferably on a luxury beach property either in continental USA or somewhere not too far away (e.g. Caribbean). Can somebody pls suggest a few high end HH properties (and which months to go) that I can consider? I am already considering Hilton Bentley Miami beach. TIA!
A well trodden path. Heres a few topics to get you going.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...r-old-mom.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ties-stay.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...worldwide.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-property.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...em-points.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...caribbean.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...an-hotels.html
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
1000 posts and one week to go to the changes coming into effect! I must get my new year's eve booked, the London Hilton on Park Lane is calling...
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
I still have not been notified by Hilton. I am sure I am not alone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.