Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2013, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by mspreh
Effective March 1st, 2013: ***(Company Name) will no longer reimburse stays at Hilton affiliated properties with reservations booked after the effective date of this memo. This includes all Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn, Homewood, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, Conrad, and Waldorf Astoria branded properties, or any others that may join the HHonors program, or have an affiliation with Hilton. This applies to all Sales, Sales Support, Marketing, and Market Development personnel. The only exceptions will allowed with prior written approval from the Director of Sales and Marketing, and only if no other hotel options are available, or a convention or business event is being hosted at such property, and staying off-site would be detrimental to our business's best interests.

Please direct all questions to your assigned travel coordinator.

Thank you,

mspreh
Director of Sales and Marketing
I am really glad I don't work for you!

Booked 4 nights at the Conrad Tokyo, still have another couple hundred thousand points to burn!
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:51 am

Question for you all. I'm going on vacation from March 21 to March 26. How fast do the points credit? Will have I have them in my account by the time I get back so I can somehow try to use them before March 28? or is there no chance?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by AnthonyF1227
Question for you all. I'm going on vacation from March 21 to March 26. How fast do the points credit? Will have I have them in my account by the time I get back so I can somehow try to use them before March 28? or is there no chance?
For me, its usually been 2 days after checkout - so I think you have a chance.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by AnthonyF1227
It depends a lot on if you are traveling overseas or domestic. Overseas can take up to a week. Domestic is usually 2-3 days after checkout depending on the hotel. You need to have all the points in your account by March 27. I wouldn't count on getting them by then. If you do, good. If not, nothing you can do.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by Ritz
For me, its usually been 2 days after checkout - so I think you have a chance.
2 days is too late. The rates INCREASE beginning March 28. If you don't have the points to book by March 27, then it's too late.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: SPG HH Aeroplan Skymiles
Just used 250,000 points for 3 nights at Tokyo Conrad and 2 at Hong Kong Conrad .
Glad I didn't hang on to them Tokyo can be up to 95,000 and HK 70,000 .

Also stayed at Hilton Tokyo . Preferred this to conrad for atmosphere and location .

Tokyo Conrad too stuffy
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by jershu
Just used 250,000 points for 3 nights at Tokyo Conrad and 2 at Hong Kong Conrad .
Glad I didn't hang on to them Tokyo can be up to 95,000 and HK 70,000 .

Also stayed at Hilton Tokyo . Preferred this to conrad for atmosphere and location .

Tokyo Conrad too stuffy
I guess you don't have Amex HH card? You could have add one more night to Tokyo and spent 5000 points less using the AXON code. And I think Conrad HK is going up to 80,000 (at least it was on the months that I checked).
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: SPG HH Aeroplan Skymiles
Yes you are correct HK Conrad going up to 80000.

The view form the Executive lounge is amazing . going to miss this place

unfortunately our room was mountain side

Nope don't have that amex card
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by mnscout
I don't know, I consider this SPG devaluation a bigger blow for two reasons.

1. SPG points are much harder to get than HHonors.
2. While Hilton mostly devalues its high-end properties, it improves redemption options for their "lesser" hotels. The SPG devaluation is all across the board with very few exceptions. Some great, low-point properties that used to be affordable, are not anymore, or less so.
I agree SPG points are not as easy to come by, but their redemption numbers are lower (i.e. high end Cat 6 is usually 20K) whereas a high end Hilton is going to cost 70K or more. So the ease of earning points is wiped away by the highly inflated redemption requirements.

As to devaluing high end properties, I looked at some of the properties that are mid-tier and Hilton has also kicked those up as well, so I don't think Hilton is much better either.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Whenever SPG devaluations hit, I always notice the midcategory jumps. The 3,000-point property that jumps to 7,000 and the 7,000 that jumps to 10,000. Just a "feature" of their program...those categories are BIG jumps, whereas Marriott and Hilton can move a 20,000-point property to 25k and it doesn't sting as much.

So in that light, I would always say that Starwood's category creep is more severe than Hilton's or Marriott's.

At least, until Hilton turns a 37.5k Doubletree into 95k, proving me completely wrong.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Richdary improved Jerry305's XLS chart by adding better search functionality. Fantastic job, both of you, guys. Thanks again!

Hilton-HHonors-HotelCategoryChart_V3
Old Mar 4, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by mnscout
Richdary improved Jerry305's XLS chart by adding better search functionality. Fantastic job, both of you, guys. Thanks again!

Hilton-HHonors-HotelCategoryChart_V3
Great work! Kudos to you all - one suggestion (I know it's easier for me to say): if possible, could seasonality be added to this spreadsheet?

For instance, I'd like to view Grand Wailea's points requirement for each individual months.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I agree SPG points are not as easy to come by, but their redemption numbers are lower (i.e. high end Cat 6 is usually 20K) whereas a high end Hilton is going to cost 70K or more. So the ease of earning points is wiped away by the highly inflated redemption requirements.

As to devaluing high end properties, I looked at some of the properties that are mid-tier and Hilton has also kicked those up as well, so I don't think Hilton is much better either.
20K SPG pts if earned by spend on SPG card, requires $20K spend.

70K HHonor pts if earned by spend on HHonor card in bonus category $20K would earn 100K HHonor pts. Non bonus category $20K would earn 60K HHonor pts.

The math is simple and one can easily see that after the devaluation, strategically earn HHonor pts still go further than SPG pts not to mention that HHonor pts have far more sources to earn than SPG pts.

Originally Posted by pinniped
Whenever SPG devaluations hit, I always notice the midcategory jumps. The 3,000-point property that jumps to 7,000 and the 7,000 that jumps to 10,000. Just a "feature" of their program...those categories are BIG jumps, whereas Marriott and Hilton can move a 20,000-point property to 25k and it doesn't sting as much.

So in that light, I would always say that Starwood's category creep is more severe than Hilton's or Marriott's.

At least, until Hilton turns a 37.5k Doubletree into 95k, proving me completely wrong.
Marriott current devaluation has brought the category jump to a new level - virtually all CYs are now Cat 5 for example.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by Happy
20K SPG pts if earned by spend on SPG card, requires $20K spend.

70K HHonor pts if earned by spend on HHonor card in bonus category $20K would earn 100K HHonor pts. Non bonus category $20K would earn 60K HHonor pts.

The math is simple and one can easily see that after the devaluation, strategically earn HHonor pts still go further than SPG pts not to mention that HHonor pts have far more sources to earn than SPG pts.
The math is simple; take out the "bonus" category and compare apples to apples: $20K spend will yield either 20K SPG or 60K HHonor points. Which means a near top-category SPG property vs. mid-high category HHonors property for $20K in CC spending.

Bonus categories are nice but I do not believe it should be relied upon. Some people will not be able to take advantage of bonus categories. For fair comparison, baseline earn needs to be used in evaluation. The bonus category calculations can only be factored in for those who can actually take advantage of it. Not to mention the bonus category can be removed and there's nothing anyone can do about it (i.e. AMEX removal of 6x at pharmacies).

It's like telling someone they can earn 10K RDM's for a mileage run (if you have 100% bonus due to status), when in reality not everyone will have elite status and the guaranteed amount is actually 5K RDM's.

I am benefiting from the bonus categories, but I can't say it applies for everyone; and baseline calculations should be applied.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:14 am
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
Is there any word on us loosing VIP redemption rates?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.