Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by trueblu
Whilst I agree that the new rates are on the whole terrible and a massive devaluation, it has made me think how one can extract best value from the programme. Staying at 'aspirational' properties on points is now only for the very points rich. But there is good value to be had in a few gems -- but I'm concerned these may be 'mistake' rates since the points requirements are very significantly lower than before.

Is there any way to lock these in and book them now? Am looking for a stay in early April in one property, so availability so late may also be an issue.

tb

Book the OLD rates before 3/28. Book the NEW rates after 3/28. You can't book the new rates until AFTER they go into effect.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by etsmyers
No, after March 28, 2014 they will.
You can book (at least some) properties all the way to March 2015 as have been mentioned here earlier and what I documented as well.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by holtju2
You can book (at least some) properties all the way to March 2015 as have been mentioned here earlier and what I documented as well.
The main issue here though is the possibility that your reward cert will expire before the stay, and cause all kinds of mess.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:45 am

Programs: HH Gold
Stringing a week together with the devaluation

If you have the Citi HH Reserve Card which I just got and Silver or higher status you can string a week together using your points

1st to 4th night with points
5th night free with your status
6th night is your annual Citi Reserve Free night

I agree with everyone else that this devaluation is awful.
I'm not giving up yet, but I'll be taking a look at Hyatt
This puts a snafu in my plan that began just January 1st, 2013 to get Hilton points for all my charges. That's why I got the new card so I could charge business and personal.

Last edited by readytogoagain; Feb 24, 2013 at 6:48 am Reason: typo and added more
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:24 am
In Memoriam

I still think this is an attempt to clean up the goofy system they created and they are moving to a system that rewards the AIB nights appropriately.

All of these credit card reward points cost them money to purchase and assign/redeem and they do nothing to increase the loyalty. I think they are figuring out there is a large share of their HHonors membership that are loyal to the program who are not loyal to the hotels.

If that is indeed the end game and I pay a higher premium during the correction period, I am all for it. @:-)
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
This devaluation of points by Hilton has prompted me to sign up to FlyerTalk and this is my first post. I am someone who has HHonors Diamond status strictly from hotel stays not any credit card affiliation/activity and this latest move feels like a real kick in the gut. I have long recommended various Hilton properties to friends/associates and now I really don't feel like doing such. Also, this latest move reinforced my growing sentiment that the difference between Diamond and Gold was really not enough to warrant those extra stays when you could also be building status at one of their competitors. To me that shows there is something wrong.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by monsrt
Well I had 175 paid nights last year at Hilton properties. Anyone guess how many paid nights I'll have this year? Anyone...anyone? This is ridiculous. Clubcarlson is looking better and better especially if you have there credit card and can get two for one reward stays. Too bad they done have a lot of properties.
I'm typing this from the Westminster Park Plaza. I do like the Trafalgar Hilton and that is normally my home for London stays (15 - 20 trips per year).

I tend to redeem for long haul holidays and the odd weekend in London.

With their triple points promotion, my week here will earn me 90k points, within a smidgin of 2 free nights in London.

The equivalent stay at the Trafalgar would earn 40k points, now about 1/2 a night in London.

For me, at least, it's a no brainer.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryandk
In August, I'm staying 8 nights at a Hilton with the 7th night free. If HHonors has the 5th night free as a benefit, do I get 2 nights free during this stay?
The "pay for so seven nights and get another one free" sounds like a paid stay to me.

The "stay four nights and get the fifth night free" is part of the new HH reward stay for VIP's.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by underpressure
I still think this is an attempt to clean up the goofy system they created and they are moving to a system that rewards the AIB nights appropriately.

All of these credit card reward points cost them money to purchase and assign/redeem and they do nothing to increase the loyalty. I think they are figuring out there is a large share of their HHonors membership that are loyal to the program who are not loyal to the hotels.

If that is indeed the end game and I pay a higher premium during the correction period, I am all for it. @:-)
That pre-supposes they are getting rid of credit card churners and I don't know if they have taken any steps to prevent this in the future.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
That pre-supposes they are getting rid of credit card churners and I don't know if they have taken any steps to prevent this in the future.
They wont git rid of a huge cash flow, they will just make it harder and by doing so, make even more money.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
What's really stupid is that they have alienated their active revenue source to fix a problem -- credit card churners and VR abusers -- that could be easily fixed by limiting the number of times one obtains bonus points one receives when filing a credit card application for the AMEX/Citi HHonors product, and do as the Chase Marriott does and limit the bonus points to a one time thing.

Instead, those who actually stay in their hotels are bearing the brunt of this devaluation equally with those who caused it in the first place.
Hilton is in the business to make money, I would like to believe that some extensive research went in to this decision.

First and foremost, they may have determined that Diamonds and Golds value bennies like free WiFi, breakfasts, upgrades (particularly for award, leisure stays) more than stays at exotic resorts for below market redemptions. This describes me, I am guilty of playing the credit card game to accumulate Honors points, primarily through Hawaiian Airlines - well beyond Hilton's control.

To compensate for the dilution, I would not be surprised to see more generous quarterly promotions this year, possibly involving partners, like the Q412 promo with Virgin Atlantic. Hilton would also be very wise to "encourage" more properties to participate in quarterly promos, in return for the higher redemption value.

Hilton likely makes big money from credit cards, I do not consider them a primary cause of the change, churners are a small minority, can be dealt with if/when necessary by AMEX, Citi.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by underpressure

Nice point.....but there are many of us I'm sure like myself that were saving their points (1.5M) for future dream vacations. I stay 75 nights at hilton a year (as they say here "BUTT IN BED"). They can make their changes....going forward!!

Don't devalue points I earned sometimes for stays at higher rates than other hotels just so I could keep my Diamond status!!

I strongly feel they should have rewarded loyal Hilton patrons with some sort of equitable adjustment on accrued points.

My example: -- if you earn interest on a bank account and the interest rate goes from 3% to 1%, they don't go back and retro actively take all the intest you earned at 3% back.

Bad buisness and "CORPORATE GREED" is the only way to explain this.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
1- The people who got royally shafted are the business travelers who actually have to stay at hiltons, they now have to stay twice as many nights to get the same.
I really feel bad for them, business travellers away from thier home/families, this is the true loyal customer, slowly building their accounts, while I churn cards and manufature spend, I am Diamond through credit cards.

Did hilton not see that?

Also the other loyal customers outside the USA got really screwed, they dont have CVS, VR, Mint, etc, and they cant churn.
If Hilton wants to save face and win back the clients that SLEEP in their hotels. They will offer PHENOMONAL promos or up the points awarded for sleeping in their hotels, thus we can afford the new requirements and separate us from the card churners

Last edited by etsmyers; Feb 24, 2013 at 10:39 am
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:52 am

I just made an reservation using an AXON7 reward. I notice the award certificate is valid for a year. Can I stockpile AXON certificates now at the current redemption rate for future use? Due to a cancelled trip I am sitting on 900,000 points and would like to minimize the effect of the upcomming devaluation.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Schutzee
I just made an reservation using an AXON7 reward. I notice the award certificate is valid for a year. Can I stockpile AXON certificates now at the current redemption rate for future use? Due to a cancelled trip I am sitting on 900,000 points and would like to minimize the effect of the upcomming devaluation.
I wondered the same in a different thread. The idea would be to make a few AXON reservatios at hotels where the Diamond Desk must still manually issue an AXON cert (more likely at European hotels) then, later, try to have the cert attached to a different reservation. Whether this will work after 3/28 is anyone's guess. I, and others, think probably not. But there is no downside to trying if you are flush with points. Just be aware that the certs say they are only good up to cat 7s, so, if the certs are useable after March 28, they would be limited to new cat 7s most likely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.