FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre {GBR} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1429897-hilton-garden-inn-bristol-city-centre-gbr.html)

fozziedoggie Jul 12, 2013 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by BotB (Post 21084983)
Thanks for the positive comments everyone ^ glad you found them useful. :)

fozziedoggie : sorry, didn't even turn the iMac on. I was shattered after a hell of a day so had a pint and then crashed for the night and due to the poor wifi I just left and went home the next morning after breakfast.

Plenty of places in Bristol with free wifi though even if you do find the wifi poor in the hotel. The iMac is likely great for internet speeds and checking emails / webpages etc...

Hope you have a good stay. ^

Quick question...looking at the floor plan, will every even number room on the 5th floor look out over the garden/park? I prefer a room away from the lift, so I'm wondering if rooms farther down the corridor will still have a nice view.

Thanks again.

BotB Jul 13, 2013 1:21 am

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie (Post 21087450)
Quick question...looking at the floor plan, will every even number room on the 5th floor look out over the garden/park? I prefer a room away from the lift, so I'm wondering if rooms farther down the corridor will still have a nice view.

Thanks again.

Like you, I also wish to be away from the elevators, so I was a bit surprised when I saw where my room was, however, the hotel was quite full by the time I checked in so imagine this was one of the last rooms on that floor. I was going to ask to get moved, however, the design is actually quite good as there are doors between the elevator area and the hallway for the rooms and I honestly couldn't hear the elevator at all during my stay so stayed put. Obviously you would hear more people going by as almost everyone has to go past these central rooms so that may be an issue especially on a weekend.

I mention all of that because only the central even numbered rooms will have park view, as you go towards the ends of the building you will be looking out at buildings instead of the park (but the even numbered side is the side to be on for sure as it is a quite side street instead of facing the dual carriage way on the odd numbered side which is a main thoroughfare.

Try to get a room in the x16 to x26 for the best park view and quietest side fo the building.

Hope that helps.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

fozziedoggie Jul 13, 2013 9:48 am

Originally Posted by BotB (Post 21088823)
Like you, I also wish to be away from the elevators, so I was a bit surprised when I saw where my room was, however, the hotel was quite full by the time I checked in so imagine this was one of the last rooms on that floor. I was going to ask to get moved, however, the design is actually quite good as there are doors between the elevator area and the hallway for the rooms and I honestly couldn't hear the elevator at all during my stay so stayed put. Obviously you would hear more people going by as almost everyone has to go past these central rooms so that may be an issue especially on a weekend.

I mention all of that because only the central even numbered rooms will have park view, as you go towards the ends of the building you will be looking out at buildings instead of the park (but the even numbered side is the side to be on for sure as it is a quite side street instead of facing the dual carriage way on the odd numbered side which is a main thoroughfare.

Try to get a room in the x16 to x26 for the best park view and quietest side fo the building.

Hope that helps.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Perfect!

This was exactly the information I was hoping for ^

Thank you again.

fozziedoggie Sep 15, 2013 10:10 am

Okay, spent three nights here. Property is nice and new and the local (British) front desk personnel are very friendly and helpful; others, not so thrilled to accommodate.

Received a room on a high floor with a very partial view of the park right behind. Not a big fan of the iMac computers for TV's, but it works well enough. room service was a bit spotty, two guests, one set of towels delivered daily. two free bottles of "help youself" water located in the lobby pantry store. Won't go into specifics, but best to lock any precription drugs you take with you in the room safe, don't leave them on the night-stand or you may find a few pills missing.

Had breakfast in the restaurant, but wasn't too wowed with the quality, still, it fills the belly. Very close walking distance to Telple Meads train station, so it's truly convenient. Walked past the newly converted DoubleTree property which is also very close by to the train station, seems like it's definitely worth a try.

We were there in early September during the "Gromit" campaign that was all around the city....cute: http://www.gromitunleashed.org.uk/

Bristol is a beautiful city with lots to do. We took day trips via train to both Cardiff and Bath Spa.

BotB Jul 6, 2015 4:04 pm

Quick update:

Stayed one night last weekend due to a house move.

Received same room I booked but this was a last minute booking only a day out.

Hotel manager checked us in and was very friendly and genuinely happy to see someone using the HHonors program and staying on points. ^ Welcomed as diamond. ^

Room was on 5th floor and facing the front this time but no noise due to secondary glazing on windows. (Still possible to open the window though ^ )

Everything okay, still a decent hotel and good price for Bristol.

Breakfast was busy but good, better than previously. Cooked eggs and other dishes to order from friendly local Bristolian woman. ^

Could order cappuccino without extra cost, brought to table by waiting staff.

Parking still not free and you need a bar code pass to get out, which defeats the purpose of envelope under the door for fast check out...wasn't too pleased as ended up blocking the gate while trying to get someone on the buzzer. No luck, so had to back up, park, walk back in rain to get a damn code!

Still very much a hotel to recommend and easy walking distance to downtown sites.

For those interested in Aardman animations...

Shaun the sheep is currently in the city raising money for charity:

http://shauninthecity.org.uk

Foltan Jul 7, 2015 5:09 am

Originally Posted by BotB (Post 25078877)
Parking still not free and you need a bar code pass to get out, which defeats the purpose of envelope under the door for fast check out...wasn't too pleased as ended up blocking the gate while trying to get someone on the buzzer. No luck, so had to back up, park, walk back in rain to get a damn code!

Seems a bit of an oversight from them considering the DT doesn't charge Golds and Diamonds for parking.

EsherFlyer Jun 10, 2019 10:03 am

Bit of a thread refresh to say still seems to be a nice property.

Arrived about 3.30pm and had a chicken, bacon and avocado sandwich as late lunch in restaurant. Very fresh, good ingredients and really enjoyed it. A few others in there as well, which was nice - although there is a Spice Girls concert in town so that's got a few people kicking their heels I think.

Room pretty much as in above photos. If you look at the floor plan snap you can see that that 526 is a bit wider than other rooms. I have wardrobe and desk on opposite sides of wndow, with desk returning towards door. Compact, but not overly tight. Slightly odd addition of extra chair that seems to have nowhere to really go! Apple thingy replace by LG TV on wall, and Neutrogena has become C&E.

Window still opens so enjoying listening to damp, drizzly Bristol drifting through :).

EsherFlyer Jun 11, 2019 2:17 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer (Post 31188529)
Bit of a thread refresh to say still seems to be a nice property.

And a lovely breakfast. Scrambled eggs, etc in hot plates, plus nice cereal, yoghurt, cold meats, Danishes, bread, juices, etc nearby. One particularly nice touch was that egg station had a few freshly prepared poached and fried eggs on standby as well ^.

:D! Feb 20, 2023 2:26 pm

No posts since before covid so thought I'd write something.

Bit of a last minute booking and first time staying here. Did OLCI but digital key not offered so had to go to desk. Water bottles given out at reception and also got an activity pack for my child (probably not a diamond benefit).

Initially parked at Long Ashton park and ride and took the guided bus in (£2 single / £3.50 return, 15 mins) which stops exactly outside the hotel (only temporarily until roadworks are done). Officially parking at the P&R seems to be not allowed overnight, perhaps nobody cares in reality, but I needed the car to go somewhere very early in the morning, so I went back and drove in later in the evening. Driving in dark and rain is not recommended as I probably went into bus lanes and also went back and forth past the hotel about 3 times because I kept missing the turns. Eventually parked on street opposite Novotel (£5 from 6pm-9am every day) which is 2 minutes walk away.

Room looked identical to HGI Birmingham Brindley Place. King bed was just two singles pushed together. Air con kept turning itself on after being turned off, and the instructions on the wall seemed to be for a different set of controls. Wifi fine. Bathroom needs replumbing and the sink tap was damaged such that it was not possible to have a low stream of water, only full blast.

Breakfast - hot food only available from 0730 on weekends but cold food from 0700. Chef was present making eggs but the other food (sausages, pastries) was a bit sad and dry. Mushrooms were dehydrated. Waffle mix was good. Staff cheerful.

I used points but the hotel didn't seem to be that full, so not sure if the paid rates of £130 on weekends are justified when they are happy to take £70 on other days of the week.

Simon Schus Apr 8, 2024 9:52 pm

In terms of walking with a large suitcase, which hotel is closer to Bristol Temple Meads station - the Doubletree or the HGI?

I am planning on using the hotel as a day room in a few weeks, and there is no difference in price. I’ve looked on a map, and it is hard to tell the difference even with walking directions turned on.

:D! Apr 8, 2024 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Schus (Post 36146362)
In terms of walking with a large suitcase, which hotel is closer to Bristol Temple Meads station - the Doubletree or the HGI?

I am planning on using the hotel as a day room in a few weeks, and there is no difference in price. I’ve looked on a map, and it is hard to tell the difference even with walking directions turned on.

One is 500m and the other is half a km.

If you forced me to choose I guess the HGI might win out slightly, if you emerge onto Friary via a pedestrian bridge then cross Temple Way as soon as you hit it. I also feel the HGI is slightly nicer/newer

i was last there around the same time the current Google Street View photos were taken and not sure how the construction has progressed