Meeting held in the exec lounge

Old Jan 20, 13, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Question Meeting held in the exec lounge

Currently at a Hilton hotel, where a group of 12-15 people occupied about half the exec lounge, conducting a meeting. Documents etc all over, and you felt like you were invading the place.

Other guests were kept waiting for a place to sit because of this. Why not get a meeting room? More importantly, why is this inconvenience to other guests accepted by the hotel, instead of offering them a meeting room?

Should I let the hotel know of our experience, or just let it pass?
Old Jan 20, 13, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Wrong tense. Should have. The time to deal with problems is on the spot. call the FD and ask why the lounge is closed for a meeting. let them deal with it. There's nothing to be done about it after the fact.
Old Jan 20, 13, 8:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
They didn't get a meeting room because meeting rooms cost money, and they have to pay for the stuff they get for free in the lounge.

If those twelve people had legitimate access to the lounge there was probably little anybody could have done. If one had access and let the other eleven in, the hotel could have moved them out of there.

Either way, the time to act was right then, after the fact is way too late for them to do anything.
Old Jan 21, 13, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Good advice, folks. I agree it should have been mentioned at the time it happened.
Old Jan 21, 13, 1:39 am

Programs: HH Gold & bunch of mainly useless other bits of plastic
Was it London Park Lane ? I was there last night & there was some sort of meeting going on in the 'sofa' area of the lounge.
Old Jan 21, 13, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I walked in on a Sewing Bee one night. Everyone was quite friendly and having a good time. Just something about being in a room of ladies ALL with sharp objects in hand made me a bit uneasy. Got my drinks & snack and back to my room!
Old Jan 21, 13, 9:46 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nimenime View Post
Currently at a Hilton hotel, where a group of 12-15 people occupied about half the exec lounge, conducting a meeting. Documents etc all over, and you felt like you were invading the place.

Other guests were kept waiting for a place to sit because of this. Why not get a meeting room? More importantly, why is this inconvenience to other guests accepted by the hotel, instead of offering them a meeting room?

Should I let the hotel know of our experience, or just let it pass?
As other have said you need to talk to the FD/ GM immediately. I have seen groups of four or five people meeting before, but never that many.
Old Jan 21, 13, 10:16 am

Programs: UA, Hilton
had a similar experience.
guest(s) staying in a nearby room had a party in their room.
saved money for a hall and food/drink.

i reported the problem to the guest relation but it took more than 30 minutes
for them to send a staff to the room. had to call many times.
they had a database to record
such guest relation problem but (the manager on duty ?) did not
put it in the database. i still like the place and the hilton property
but not sure to visit and stay there again.
Old Jan 21, 13, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
They didn't get a meeting room because meeting rooms cost money, and they have to pay for the stuff they get for free in the lounge.

If those twelve people had legitimate access to the lounge there was probably little anybody could have done. If one had access and let the other eleven in, the hotel could have moved them out of there.

Either way, the time to act was right then, after the fact is way too late for them to do anything.
and these people weren't even smart enough to know who might walk in and be listening to them -- same thing happens w/ cell phones.

Bob H
Old Jan 21, 13, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
Was it London Park Lane ? I was there last night & there was some sort of meeting going on in the 'sofa' area of the lounge.
Indeed it was! There must be at least one FT'er at that hotel at any time, I believe

Thinking back, it wasn't really that big of a deal, but more of a surprise that the staff agreed to let them have the meeting there.

In any case, I survived the ordeal, and I'll be back
Old Jan 21, 13, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Plat, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Tell them you work for a competitor as you pick up their documents. They won't do it again.
Old Jan 22, 13, 12:40 am

Programs: HH Gold & bunch of mainly useless other bits of plastic
Originally Posted by nimenime View Post
Indeed it was! There must be at least one FT'er at that hotel at any time, I believe

Thinking back, it wasn't really that big of a deal, but more of a surprise that the staff agreed to let them have the meeting there.

In any case, I survived the ordeal, and I'll be back
Yeah, I managed to get to the bar behind them as well

Search this Thread