Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Will NOT maintain Honors diamond this year

Old Jan 17, 13, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D

It's about time to say good bye to HHonors diamond, after spending $$$ in past 5 years to maintain it. I think I made an educated decision because:

(1) Totally no differentiation between diamond and gold - same breakfasts, same lounge access (c'mon, you know what I am talking about), same Internet access, and same upgrades - although HHonors made it official that diamond members may be entitled to a suite upgrade, I'd say my suite upgrade opportunities in 2012 were about the same as those in 2011. Let me put in this way, suite upgrade is totally a hotel-driven initiative - if hotels like to upgrade you to a suite, they will do it without HHonors official rules; if hotels don't, they won't do it anyway.

The only benefit I see diamond pertains to is the ability to reap an addition 25% HHonors points accrual than gold, but that's it.

(2) Increased threshold to maintain diamond - if a diamond status is justified for its value (i.e., more differentiation than gold), I'd happy to give a shot for it no matter how high the bar is raised, but factually, it's never justified.

(3) Easy access to gold status - through Citi Reserve, through MVP, and through visa infinite, you name it...why I should spend $$$ for something I can literally get it for "free"?

(4) This is a personal reason - unfortunately, thanks to the dismal US economy, travel budget got slashed more than 70% this year. Historically, more than 50% of my HHonors stays were funded by my company travel. This year, no way.

There maybe something HHonors can do to make me remotely regain interests to re-qualify for a diamond member in 2013, such as:

(1) Issue 10 suite night-upgrade awards to every diamond member each year (like SPG);

(2) More bonus points accrual for diamond members (75%-100%) and/or further discount for reward redemption than gold;

(3) Complimentary full (American) breakfast for 2 people for diamond across all HHonors properties, including W=A;

(4) Free self parking for diamond at properties charging such a fee.

Oh well, let me keep dreaming...
Old Jan 18, 13, 5:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Never made it to Diamond status myself...only went up to Gold (through paid nights). I would suggest staying as Gold if you plan to stay at their properties. I'm doing that now even though I'm mainly staying at Marriott and slowly going towards SPG. Always good to have a backup hotel (SPG just don't have enough properties yet) so I chose Hilton.

Two things I don't like about it:

- Even though the point earnings may be a bit higher, their point redemption value are low unless you go for a high category property

- No lifetime member status. I just started traveling for business and I'm definitely looking forward to take advantage of any program that offers a lifetime membership (Marriott/SPG).

From my experience, you don't always get a upgrade at check-in but if you stay at a property long enough and the staff knows you (by name ), they will try to upgrade you. I have seen other properties where they don't upgrade you unless you ask if there's a room upgrade available, so it varies...
Old Jan 18, 13, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Primary benefit for me is Diamond priviledge - saved my butt a few times, as recent as this past Wednesday.
Old Jan 18, 13, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Glob
I agree that there is not a lot of difference between Diamond and Gold. However, it really depends on the properties you stay at. If you stay at a lot of international properties, then I think Diamond is more useful for getting upgrades. Also you will read that quite a few Gold members have been denied lounge access at Conrads when not upgraded to the executive floor.
Old Jan 18, 13, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
Hilton's website shows Gold T&C DO NOT include the lounge at Hilton properties. Was that a recent change? Maybe prompted by all the Gold members from the credit card?

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/explor...its/index.html
Old Jan 18, 13, 6:43 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Suite upgrades are the norm for me as a Diamond. Sitting in one now. Also my hotel is sold out because of a convention yet despite everybody else (about 5 guests) ahead of me being told No. They gave me an early check in of 11am. Love the differences between Diamond and Gold
Old Jan 18, 13, 7:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
I have to agree. More often than not I'm given great treatment as a Diamond. I've been given some fantastic suite upgrades at standard and W-A properties and I love the other benefits that come with the membership level. I also find my status gets taken very seriously when I have a complaint. Yes, there are things I feel could be improved, and I believe some hotels need to take status more seriously, but I believe my loyalty to the brand is well rewarded.
Old Jan 18, 13, 7:28 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by skiermsm View Post
Hilton's website shows Gold T&C DO NOT include the lounge at Hilton properties. Was that a recent change? Maybe prompted by all the Gold members from the credit card?

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/explor...its/index.html
Access for golds not on the exec floor went away at least five years ago.

Some properties will still give golds (and some even silvers) lounge access, but many won't. Fortunately many more properties are cracking down and enforcing the T&C lately, and it may be because gold is so easy to achieve. I am also diamond at Hyatt and only diamonds are to get lounge access, but some properties will give my wife as a Hyatt Plat lounge access but it is not something she expects and appreciates it when it happens.

I was thinking of allowing my diamond status to drop to gold. But with gold now so easy to get, I think upgrades would be very hard to get for a gold. I have received some nice suite upgrades (particularly at W-A's).

Rumor has it all Hiltons and DT's will be required to have a lounge by either July 1 or Dec 31 of this year or provide Diamonds with a full breakfast. Getting a full breakfast over a continential is a great benefit.

And I travel to Vegas at least six times a year. It appears Trop is going to treat HH-Diamonds right. There is a $20 a day resort fee which will get waived for diamonds and diamonds will have access to the VIP lounge which has free mid-shelf alcohol and hot appetizers and breakfast items and it means no wait to check in or check out. My wife and I are planning on just enjoying the lounge for breakfast and using the vouchers at the cafe for lunch and using the lounge for appetizers at dinner time.

If I were gold staying at the Trop I would be paying an extra $20 a day for the resort fee (they are not waiving it for golds) and wouldn't have lounge access.

More properties need to treat diamonds the way Tropicanna does
Old Jan 19, 13, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Plat, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Not sure if I will requal, but the incentive to do so decreases annually.
Old Jan 19, 13, 4:12 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
I will not be even bothering to try to requalify. The experiences I have had with the so-called Diamond Desk over the last week mean that all I am going to do is burn my points this year and make maybe 3-4 work stays.

I dread to think what it is like for an non-Diamond member.
Old Jan 19, 13, 4:45 am

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
I'm about to give up my Diamond card and Hilton as a whole. For the past few years, I easily maintained top tier with SPG and Marriott. Switched to Hilton hotels and got Diamond for 2 years. Did not travel much last year and set to lose Diamond at the end of March.

I'm back at Hilton and by the end of March should be able to accumulate about 40-45 nights - just 15 more for Diamond or 1 extra month. Not a problem.

Before I commit those nights to Hilton, I decided to call to ask if they would be willing to let me keep my Diamond status so I don't drop one down for a month and still have lounge access. The entire conversation was so frustrating I eventually had to hang up. All I was asking for was rather than drop me to gold, let me retain my status and by the end of April, I would have earned it. A request not a demand.

This 'person' I spoke with offered me gold for the year. The conversation and her general clueless responses about their own program was laughable at best. Thanks for the offer, &!#&$, but you can't offer me something I've already earned. The back and forth was like a "who's on first?" conversation that I decided to save my sanity and end the call.
Old Jan 19, 13, 6:51 am

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
Originally Posted by badjuju View Post
Before I commit those nights to Hilton, I decided to call to ask if they would be willing to let me keep my Diamond status so I don't drop one down for a month and still have lounge access. The entire conversation was so frustrating I eventually had to hang up. All I was asking for was rather than drop me to gold, let me retain my status and by the end of April, I would have earned it. A request not a demand.
Is there actually a soft landing in the programme? Or can you drop from Diamond to Silver or Blue?
Old Jan 19, 13, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I gave up on Hilton Diamond about 5 years ago. Just not enough good promotions at the time. Gold is easy to obtain with little or no stays, so why waste the time and money?
Old Jan 19, 13, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have been Diamond for the last two years and will work on keeping it this year while also shifting stays where I can to SPG. Hilton has the breadth of chains in locations I visit but the value I get as a Diamond doesn't seem on-par with the effort.
Old Jan 19, 13, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by FlyinDutchman View Post
Is there actually a soft landing in the programme? Or can you drop from Diamond to Silver or Blue?
No soft landing and yes, you can drop from diamond to blue.

Search this Thread