Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Will NOT maintain Honors diamond this year

Will NOT maintain Honors diamond this year

Old Jan 21, 13, 4:39 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by CATravelerWW View Post
Beware.. some Hilton properties apparently are no longer honoring loyalty when room upgrades are concerned.

I recently was given a basic room, told no upgrade was available. However a coworker who had booked later than I, checked in right after me in line, with no status @ the chain was given a suite upgrade with compliments from the desk. And a rate that was 30% less than mine.

As a Diamond member I was a more than a bit surprised. No satisfactory explanation provided.

In fact, I was explicitly told (via email) that Hilton "no longer considers loyalty" in awarding room upgrades.

W, T and F.
What property did this occur at? If the number of nights, bed type and smoking preference was the same a non-status (or ANY status under disamond) should get a suite upgrade over a diamond.

Did you complain to the diamond desk? You should have issued a complaint as soon as you got to your room with the diamond desk. Seeing you would have had the room number of the non-status along with the rates to report, the diamond desk should have looked into this right away and contacted the hotel before you left.
Old Jan 21, 13, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Keeping diamond depends a lot on the properties you stay at. If someone doesn't need the diamond force and stays at HGI's, ES and Hampton, then being gold isn't much different from diamond unless you require early check in or check outs. I do get upgraded at the Hampton by DTW airport to a suite normally and have had some HGI's that have given me upgrades however, but my HI and HGI upgrades wouldn't be enough to make me go out of my way to keep diamond.

I travel quite a bit with a friend who is gold (now through the reserve credit card and in the past was MVP and other fast tracks). Some properties there isn't much difference in how we are treated and others there are.

We were both at the DT times square for new years on rewards stay and aside from me getting a corner suite (non times square view) and him not being able to get a corner suite, there was real no difference in how we were treated. Three years ago however he wasn't able to make a reservation as a gold using points and I was able to get the diamond force to give me an axon rate for four nights. He would have spend a lot more points on new years alone than I did on all four nights.

We have both had a couple stays at the Palmer House in Chicago. They do give him lounge access as a gold, but they always give me a lot better room as a diamond and sometimes a suite. He will usually get upgraded but never to as nice of a room as I have on the same rate. They almost always offer me a 4 p.m. check out when I check in. If he wants a late checkout the latest he ever gets is normally 1 but sometimes they will give him 2, so a 4 p.m. checkout makes being diamond great at the property as well since I usually have a later flight from Chicago.

We were both at the Washington Hilton the weekend before this last one. I didn't get a suite this time, but did get a nice exec level room. He was declined a room on the exec level because they were all either reserved with guests paying for an exec room or taken by other diamonds. He was denyed lounge access and was given a voucher for the coffee place downstairs. If he was diamond he would have probably been on the exec level and regardless would have had lounge access (I just got him in using my card so wasn't a big deal this stay for him). We both asked for a late check out that Saturday at the front desk. He was told the latest they could do was 1 p.m. I asked for a late check out and the clerk pulled up my room number and said he appreciated me being a diamond and asked how late of a check out I needed and I asked if 4 would work and he said no problem. My friend just brought his stuff over into my room Sunday morning, but being diamond was great there. I was able to spend all of Sunday in DC and not have to worry about waiting on my bags at the bell desk or paying for luggage storage and was able to grab a couple diet cokes from the lounge for our cab ride to DCA.

Doubletree New Orleans by Harrahs, we received similar rooms, but I was given a full breakfast buffet for the two people in my room and they had to pay an upcharge if they wanted the full buffet instead of the continential.

I am staying at the Tropicana DT in a few weeks. I am suppose to get lounge access (even if I don't get full lounge access will be nice not waiting in a long line) and will get my resort fee waived and it sounds like they are going to be good about suite upgrades. The resort fee is $20 a day, so that is a big savings for regular Vegas visitors staying there since only diamonds will have that waived.
Old Jan 21, 13, 9:15 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; VIA Privilege
Economical Reason

I stayed 50 nights and made 90000 base points in 2012. All my stays are business travel and funded by company travel.
I am not a guy who could afford 10 nights in a hotel for achieving x status. So, I didn't make any effort to achieve diamond for 2013.
However, travel plans are looking good this year. I might achieve diamond by April or so.
Old Jan 22, 13, 12:11 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Delta Gold
When does your status change? or revert to your last established level? January 01. My status was diamond but only achieved enough points for maintaining gold for this year but my HH status still shows diamond. When will I fall back?

Thank You
Old Jan 22, 13, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by xxrice View Post
When does your status change? or revert to your last established level? January 01. My status was diamond but only achieved enough points for maintaining gold for this year but my HH status still shows diamond. When will I fall back?

Thank You
Your diamond status will expire in March 31, 2013.
Old Jan 22, 13, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by iainbhx View Post
I will not be even bothering to try to requalify. The experiences I have had with the so-called Diamond Desk over the last week mean that all I am going to do is burn my points this year and make maybe 3-4 work stays.

I dread to think what it is like for an non-Diamond member.
Not sure if you are talking about errors that have been made on Hilton part or not, but if so, this is something that should be able to be resolved (however, it may take a supervisor at times).

If you are asking for 'favors' like late cancellations, refunds from No Shows, etc, then Diamond desk may not be able to help you. You may get an exception (if you have never had one before), but if the hotel insist on charging you for an error you made, very little, (if anything) can be done.

Also, if you are asking to book reward stays on the Diamond 48, that is no longer possible (according to the T&C) or booking a sold out hotel with an extraordinary d. date.

Just curious how many things can go wrong in 1 week on the same persons travel that cannot be rectified.

Maybe you would like to elaborate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: