Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Will NOT maintain Honors diamond this year

Will NOT maintain Honors diamond this year

Old Jan 19, 13, 9:45 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta platinum, IHG Spire Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I was a diamond from 2008 through early 2012....I switched to marriott last yr...got tired of Hilton's and staying there 190nights a yr...just wanted a change.

Regarding suites, it's def dependent on the hotel. Notably, At the Bentley south beach, doubletree Santa Barbara, and hilton Glendale I received huge suite upgrades.

Even with marriott, I just plain ask "do you have any suite upgrades available". You'd be surprised how often it works.
Old Jan 19, 13, 3:07 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
Not sure if I will requal, but the incentive to do so decreases annually.
I thought about not requalifying seeing how easy gold is to get. But with so many golds now, I am concerned they will seriously chop gold benefits
Old Jan 20, 13, 6:50 am

Programs: Formally TPAbound/Delta Diamond 1MM/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Silver/Priority Club Gold
I too love the early check in & late check out. Hubby & I arrived in Prague at 10:00am via train. Went to the front desk expecting to spend a couple of hours in the Executive Lounge. The front desk was awesome! She gave us our room keys & an awesome upgrade. Gorgeous room!
Old Jan 20, 13, 8:05 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
My European perspective on HHonors status: For me there is apparently no way to earn Gold the easy way (i.e. no credit card offers available). All stays have been paid personally by myself. When I was offered 'fast track' to Diamond last spring I was happy and excited. However, it was just at that point in time, when benefits were reduced for Golds. So, as a Diamond today I feel more or less like Gold in the 'old days'. I still feel a well treated and appreciated guests in the hotel I frequent or I just stay. It is nice to be reassured to have EL access independent of the room category (I have always been upgraded to executive floor so far), I am happy with the 50% bonus instead of 25% plus the 1'000 points in addition to free breakfast. - However, having to pay for all stays and staying for vacation reasons I will not be able to maintain Diamond next year. I will enjoy my Diamond status this year as long as it lasts.
Old Jan 20, 13, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by babe11 View Post
I too love the early check in & late check out. Hubby & I arrived in Prague at 10:00am via train. Went to the front desk expecting to spend a couple of hours in the Executive Lounge. The front desk was awesome! She gave us our room keys & an awesome upgrade. Gorgeous room!
You do realize that Hilton golds also have early check in and late check out benefit, but only cost them a fraction of cost to maintain the status than diamonds.
Old Jan 20, 13, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zurich View Post
However, it was just at that point in time, when benefits were reduced for Golds.
Would you mind elaborating on that? I didn't recall anything like that happened last year.
Old Jan 20, 13, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
I gave up on Hilton Diamond about 5 years ago. Just not enough good promotions at the time. Gold is easy to obtain with little or no stays, so why waste the time and money?
Did you replace your HH stays with IC or Hyatt?

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds View Post
I thought about not requalifying seeing how easy gold is to get. But with so many golds now, I am concerned they will seriously chop gold benefits
Well, HH Gold is still a solid level for what you get. If I decide to only go for gold, I'll just wait til I don't qualify and ask for some challenge. Or I'll status match from one of my other chains.
Old Jan 20, 13, 12:06 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
QUOTE: Would you mind elaborating on that? I didn't recall anything like that happened last year

lewende, I had the 'one-category-room-upgrade' in mind. Hilton Berlin, e.g. has been very clear to me (and fellow FT according to their posts) that an upgrade to executive floor is no longer done when Golds book basic room. - I also thought of the shortenings in the EL (no more wine after 20.00hrs or so), but that applies to every guest in the EL)
Old Jan 20, 13, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zurich View Post
QUOTE: Would you mind elaborating on that? I didn't recall anything like that happened last year

lewende, I had the 'one-category-room-upgrade' in mind. Hilton Berlin, e.g. has been very clear to me (and fellow FT according to their posts) that an upgrade to executive floor is no longer done when Golds book basic room. - I also thought of the shortenings in the EL (no more wine after 20.00hrs or so), but that applies to every guest in the EL)
Thanks for the explanation. However, this is hardly the case for golds in the US or China. Golds routinely get what they had before the policy change (e.g., EL access, more than 1 level upgrade - although this is more common in China) - typically almost the same benefits as diamonds, upgrade and EL access wise.
Old Jan 20, 13, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Hilton - Diamond, Starwood - Plat
same here, 5 years in a row hitting Diamond and just gave up this year with no interest in trying.
I've got Gold locked in through other channels, and just didn't see enough of a difference between diamond and gold that it warranted dealing with the website. Earlier in the year, I was trying, and 4 of the first 5 times I tried to make a reservation the website was down.

I just gave up.
Old Jan 20, 13, 9:54 pm

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond
Using up all my points (500k) for reward stays this year as Diamond and that will be my final relationship with Hilton.
I don't like inconsistency across the brand. Too many ups and downs, and recently more downs than ups.
I always made diamond on all counts of base points, stays and nights.
Old Jan 20, 13, 10:31 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by lewende View Post
Thanks for the explanation. However, this is hardly the case for golds in the US or China. Golds routinely get what they had before the policy change (e.g., EL access, more than 1 level upgrade - although this is more common in China) - typically almost the same benefits as diamonds, upgrade and EL access wise.
Properties are starting to be more strict about enforcing the lounge access policy in recent months. Not sure if it has to do with gold being so easy to get since this summer with the Hilton credit card or not. Some properties will give access, but I know the Hilton Atlanta and Washington Hilton will now only give gold's access who are on the exec level.

The Tropicana is a property that it will pay to be Diamond at. Diamonds will get the resort fee waived ($20 a day value) and get VIP lounge access (easily worth over $40 a day).

Unfortunately there are still a lot of properties that do not treat diamonds any better than golds such as the LAX Hilton.
Old Jan 21, 13, 12:40 am

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
I'm keeping my diamond. I often use Hamptons in the States to get 50% of the qualifying nights (rural golf trips) but the rest are in U.S. resorts, Asia and Europe. I've found really good value in getting upgrades and special requests when staying at the higher end properties.

I definitely see a difference at diamond in the upper level Hilton properties.
Old Jan 21, 13, 3:51 am

Beware.. some Hilton properties apparently are no longer honoring loyalty when room upgrades are concerned.

I recently was given a basic room, told no upgrade was available. However a coworker who had booked later than I, checked in right after me in line, with no status @ the chain was given a suite upgrade with compliments from the desk. And a rate that was 30% less than mine.

As a Diamond member I was a more than a bit surprised. No satisfactory explanation provided.

In fact, I was explicitly told (via email) that Hilton "no longer considers loyalty" in awarding room upgrades.

W, T and F.
Old Jan 21, 13, 3:54 am

A million-pointer calling it quits on Hilton

Originally Posted by redslert View Post
Using up all my points (500k) for reward stays this year as Diamond and that will be my final relationship with Hilton.
I don't like inconsistency across the brand. Too many ups and downs, and recently more downs than ups.
I always made diamond on all counts of base points, stays and nights.

I have to say it, but I concur. This place is really running downhill.

A few months in Birmingham I was given my room keys. I walked in to my dark room only to discover another guest was already checked in, snoring away. We scared the shyte out of each other. (eerily, ditto experience in Atlanta).

Free breakfasts vary widely, from full.. to just stale cereal and honeydew. You never know what you are going to get.

I'm ready to give SPG a try now. Think the battle is lost.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: