Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Changes to Hilton Amex earning structure

Changes to Hilton Amex earning structure

Old Feb 10, 13, 7:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Gold
Given the imminent loss of bonus points for wireless and cable bills, does any see any problem prepaying a few month ahead and leaving the credit in the account for future payments? After all, interest is nearly non-existent when leaving the money parked in a bank anyway.
Old Feb 10, 13, 8:29 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by ItsAllRelative View Post
Given the imminent loss of bonus points for wireless and cable bills, does any see any problem prepaying a few month ahead and leaving the credit in the account for future payments? After all, interest is nearly non-existent when leaving the money parked in a bank anyway.
I'm already doing that...providers of each will happily take your money. Don't know about you, but my cable is over $100 monthly; send them a check for $750 every five months.
Old Feb 10, 13, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie View Post
I'm already doing that...providers of each will happily take your money. Don't know about you, but my cable is over $100 monthly; send them a check for $750 every five months.
I think you're missing the point if you're sending them a check.
Old Feb 13, 13, 5:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
I think you're missing the point if you're sending them a check.
I am hoping he meant a check from his bill pay service for the credit card
Old Feb 19, 13, 6:29 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
HHonors devaluation

Well, after this week's gigantic devaluation of the HHonors program, the points we earn will be worth 30-40% less making it all rather academic!

Back to Starwood & Priority Club.
Old Feb 21, 13, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Full Score View Post
Well, after this week's gigantic devaluation of the HHonors program, the points we earn will be worth 30-40% less making it all rather academic!

Back to Starwood & Priority Club.
Are you under the illusion there's no devaluation over there??? The Priority Club unhooking of points requirements from brands caused bigger jumps in that program than in any other program!!!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...aluations.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...rd-levels.html

And while perhaps not as drastic, there are devaluations coming at SPG too:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ch-2013-a.html

IMHO it makes no sense to consider one program's devaluations in abstract, without factoring in what other programs have done. (And at least HHonors threw out the bone that now those with elite status can book 5th award night free, while no such thing added at Priority Club.)

Besides, 30%-40% is not necessarily accurate. It all depends on where you want to use your reward points. Nowhere that I've stayed before has the hotel gone up by more than one category (and a numkber of the ones I've stayed at have not gone up this time). No way tthat works out to 30%-40% less if I were to stay at those places again.

(Having said that, I don't use HHonors as my sole program, because for years they've already been points-overpriced in some locations. I only use it where the redemption value is good. And those places, in general, the value has stayed good.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 21, 13 at 7:17 pm
Old Feb 21, 13, 7:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
(And at least HHonors threw out the bone that now those with elite status can book 5th award night free, while no such thing added at Priority Club.)
Hilton elites already had this benefit, in the form of the 20% off on a 5-night booking with a GLON award... and redemptions for 6+ nights have now gotten worse, since those were 25% off with a GLON, where the new plan bottoms out at an effective 11% for 9 nights.
Old Feb 21, 13, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
Hilton elites already had this benefit, in the form of the 20% off on a 5-night booking with a GLON award... and redemptions for 6+ nights have now gotten worse, since those were 25% off with a GLON,
4-night awards are also worse: no more 15% discount. *sigh*

where the new plan bottoms out at an effective 11% for 9 nights.
Well, then, I'll just use back-to-back AXON awa--uh oh.

[back on topic]
I've long used my Hilton Amex for gas/drug/grocery/Internet/wireless category charges, but between reduced category bonuses and disembowelment of HH rewards structure, I'm increasingly of the view that the basic Amex (and Citi Visa too) should be used only to meet signup bonus spend targets.
Old Feb 22, 13, 5:59 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Originally Posted by beltway View Post
Well, then, I'll just use back-to-back AXON awa--uh oh.
Maybe you won't!!!! Based on the discussion in the devaluation thread and also the actual AXON thread there is a strong rumor (that has evidently been confirmed by a HH phone rep) that the AXON awards are going away. This would mean we loose certain category spend bonuses AND we loose the ability to redeem AXON rewards PLUS the devaluation = Hilton bottoms out!
Old Feb 22, 13, 8:42 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
Maybe you won't!!!! Based on the discussion in the devaluation thread and also the actual AXON thread there is a strong rumor (that has evidently been confirmed by a HH phone rep) that the AXON awards are going away. This would mean we loose certain category spend bonuses AND we loose the ability to redeem AXON rewards PLUS the devaluation = Hilton bottoms out!
I think beltway was saying that in a more facetious manner.
Old Feb 22, 13, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise View Post
So do I.
Old Feb 22, 13, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise View Post
I thought that too after I posted but you never know.
Old Feb 22, 13, 10:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
My email from the Diamond Desk:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Hilton HHonors rewards. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Members can redeem the AXON offer through the grace period, until the effective date of the changes. At this time, this benefit will be replaced. Any rewards that you currently have through March 27 would be honored.
Old Feb 25, 13, 8:23 pm

HH Amex - New vs. Existing cardmember?

I have no-fee HH Amex and do see per Feb. billing statement bonus points are 7 pts/Hilton, 5 for gas, 5 for supermarket and 5 for restaurant as of 5/1 (same as has been posted). Someone else posted Surpass bonus as
12/Hilton, 6/gas, 6 for supermarket and 6 for restaurant. Both have 3X for everything else.

However, looking at Amex Home page (americanexpress.com) and looking at the HH cards, they show the no fee amex as having no bonus charges (3x for all spend), and 6X for Hilton and the surpass not having restaurant as bonus spend .

So it looks like plan is to have different point structure for new vs. existing cardmember? Is it likely these will be merged in the future (ie. no fee HH amex has all bonus categories removed)?
Old Feb 27, 13, 12:47 am

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
one piece of positive news is that this change allows you to cancel your surpass card and get a prorated refund (must be done before 4/30). anyone planning on downgrading after hitting diamond for the year?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: