Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Changes to Hilton Amex earning structure

Changes to Hilton Amex earning structure

Old Feb 6, 13, 9:04 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Priority Club Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by atxtravel View Post
Looks like at least for the regular Hilton Amex card, the change has already happened...and quietly. I noticed in my last statement I only got 3x on supermarket purchases. So I upgraded to Surpass right away. I buy large quantities of beans of alternative flavor, about $5k monthly, so to me the 6x adds up to effectively earning a free night every month, and possibly diamond status.
Uh oh...I really hope this isn't the case but if it is, I guess I'll be canceling the free version in a few months and getting the paid version. Anyone else confirm that this is effective now?
Old Feb 6, 13, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by terpfan101 View Post
Uh oh...I really hope this isn't the case but if it is, I guess I'll be canceling the free version in a few months and getting the paid version. Anyone else confirm that this is effective now?
Never mind! My mistake, I was reading the statement wrong. But I still upgraded to Surpass, because even an extra 1x at supermarkets and ability to earn diamond, plus the bonus 50k is worth the extra $75 fee.
Old Feb 6, 13, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Priority Club Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Never mind! My mistake, I was reading the statement wrong. But I still upgraded to Surpass, because even an extra 1x at supermarkets and ability to earn diamond, plus the bonus 50k is worth the extra $75 fee.
Thanks for clarifying!
Old Feb 6, 13, 9:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS MVPG, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG
Looks like at least for the regular Hilton Amex card, the change has already happened...and quietly. I noticed in my last statement I only got 3x on supermarket purchases. So I upgraded to Surpass right away. I buy large quantities of beans of alternative flavor, about $5k monthly, so to me the 6x adds up to effectively earning a free night every month, and possibly diamond status.
I sure hope not as we haven't received any notice of a change. Mrs. MileKing's last statement was January 8 and I just reviewed the entire thing (again).....no mention of any changes. The 6 points for supermarket purchases was properly applied. Also, have not received any snail mails or emails about changes. Next statement will be available at end of week so we will see if changes have already been implemented.
Old Feb 6, 13, 10:06 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
Do you know what stores are under supermarket? Vons, Ralphs,Alberson or any stores?
Old Feb 6, 13, 10:18 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by happy9zz View Post
Do you know what stores are under supermarket? Vons, Ralphs,Alberson or any stores?
It's up to the store to classify itself as a super market/grocery store. If a local neighborhood store reports itself to AmEx as a SM/GS, then it will earn the premium. All of the examples you listed above are counted.
Old Feb 6, 13, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, CO Plat, UA 1P, FB Plat, Marriott PLT, PC Plat, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Nat'l Exec
The drugstore drop seems pretty official:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c.../retail.html:(
Old Feb 6, 13, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by clevername View Post
The drugstore drop seems pretty official:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c.../retail.html:(
You should clean up your weblink; it is including your as part of the web page and will not send to the correct page.

Correct link is this:
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...fo/retail.html
Old Feb 6, 13, 2:10 pm
Suspended

So, all these establishments must be located in the US to get the rewards and possibly the multiplier.

Don't worry AMEX, I would not even consider the card outside of the USA because of your outrageous FOREX charges!
Old Feb 6, 13, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR View Post
I am pointing out that the "structure" as you put that allegedly is to take place in May, is not even from an official source, nor is it published anywhere.

I will take a supposedly outmoded guide that is currently available via a link from an official source, any day over mere rumor and speculation.

All I can do is hope for the best that they will not change the earnings but until I receive official notice, I will not panic.
Head in sand.

Sorry, can't help it.
Old Feb 6, 13, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Received my statement today, it describes those changes that are going to take effect starting May 1, 2013.
Old Feb 6, 13, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geclub1 View Post
I think it matches with what Gary detailed in his piece. Verbatism from my statement:
Exactly - AMEX management would NOT give Gary's the update a day after his initial blog said "No Change" even after Frequent Miles broke the news if the changes were just "rumors without base" as some insisted.

What Gary posted was almost verbatim in essence as what are detailed in the change notice... He would not post such if he hasn't gotten the "nod" from AMEX.
Old Feb 6, 13, 4:47 pm

Programs: aa
I just got a surpass where do you see where you earned miles at in the amex website.All i see is my total points from my first bonus.
Old Feb 6, 13, 4:48 pm

Programs: aa
Originally Posted by ellaq2008 View Post
Received my statement today, it describes those changes that are going to take effect starting May 1, 2013.

I guess i will abuse this privilege until may.
Old Feb 9, 13, 7:50 pm

Received my Surpass upgrade today. Looks like 6x at certain popular drugstores is still offered, along with gas and groceries.

**Turns out a separately mailed amendment says no bonus on drugstores Spoke too soon again.

Last edited by atxtravel; Feb 9, 13 at 8:08 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: