Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Changes to Hilton Amex earning structure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Hilton Amex earning structure

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
And where does it state on the AMEX web site that this is what is to occurr??

Nowhere. What we have is a series of rumors and speculations and as OP mentioned there is a distinct lack of clarity on this issue.

I'm just pointing out an alternative scenario that this may not occur and that the confusion is due to confliciting information.
I dont think the AMEX management would confirm to a blogger if there are no changes coming. Note the blogger reached out to AMEX Management for an update and this is the update he got.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...ican%20Express
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:27 pm

And where does it state on the AMEX web site that this is what is to occurr??

Nowhere. What we have is a series of rumors and speculations and as OP mentioned there is a distinct lack of clarity on this issue.

I'm just pointing out an alternative scenario that this may not occur and that the confusion is due to confliciting information.
I just called customer service and she said that the Surpass card will no longer give bonus points for cable, Internet, and drugstores starting May 1, 2013. It will give three additional points for restaurants.

Bobette

Last edited by b1513; Feb 4, 2013 at 8:00 pm
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
You are pointing out what the earning structure was last year, it has no bearing on what it may be in the future.
I am pointing out that the "structure" as you put that allegedly is to take place in May, is not even from an official source, nor is it published anywhere.

I will take a supposedly outmoded guide that is currently available via a link from an official source, any day over mere rumor and speculation.

All I can do is hope for the best that they will not change the earnings but until I receive official notice, I will not panic.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Feb 3, 2013 at 9:50 pm
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:12 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
I am pointing out that the "structure" as you put that allegedly is to take place in May, is not even from an official source, nor is it published anywhere.

I will take a supposedly outmoded guide that is currently available via a link from an official source, any day over mere rumor and speculation.

All I can do is hope for the best that they will not change the earnings but until I receive official notice, I will not panic.
Sadly, I am seeing the changes announced in my Feb 2 statement.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:44 am
Suspended

Darn, that clinches it -- to SPG the spend will go!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Originally Posted by geclub1
Sadly, I am seeing the changes announced in my Feb 2 statement.
If it's not too much trouble, can you share what the changes are? Is the new earning structure the 7/5/3 reported elsewhere? Are they effective immediately, or in May? Obviously the more information you can provide the better. My statement closes relatively late in February, so for now I'm hitting it hard.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by sgideons
If it's not too much trouble, can you share what the changes are? Is the new earning structure the 7/5/3 reported elsewhere? Are they effective immediately, or in May? Obviously the more information you can provide the better. My statement closes relatively late in February, so for now I'm hitting it hard.
I think it matches with what Gary detailed in his piece. Verbatism from my statement:

Originally Posted by Surpass Statement in relevant part

Effective with your first billing period that begins on or after May 1, 2013, you will no longer earn additional points for eligible purchases at drugstores, wireless and home telephone services, cable and satellite TV and internet service providers. ...

12 points At Hilton Worldwide properties
6 points At restaurants (must be located in the US)
6 points At gas stations (must be located in the US)
(Superstores, Supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations.)
6 points At Supermarkets (must be located in the US)
(Superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets.)
3 points For all other eligible purchases

Eligible purchases do NOT include:
    Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:49 pm
    Suspended

A little off topic, but then what is the allure of ths Surpass card as opposed to the Citi Reserve Visa?

The $95 fee confers Gold status, ForEx free charges, and after the initial period, $10,000 in charges gets you one free night, and if you go all the way to $40,000 for Diamond, you also have the free weekend night under your belt.

What is the allure of Surpass except 1-2 measly extra points on some spends.

Heck, Surpass doesn't even entitle you to AXON rewards, the fee free Hilton AMEX does that!
    Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:16 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
    A little off topic, but then what is the allure of ths Surpass card as opposed to the Citi Reserve Visa?

The $95 fee confers Gold status, ForEx free charges, and after the initial period, $10,000 in charges gets you one free night, and if you go all the way to $40,000 for Diamond, you also have the free weekend night under your belt.

What is the allure of Surpass except 1-2 measly extra points on some spends.

Heck, Surpass doesn't even entitle you to AXON rewards, the fee free Hilton AMEX does that!
    When I had the Surpass card I never had a problem bookingAXON rewards.

I don't understand why anyone would have the surpass card over the Reserve card. Only advantage is 2 extra points per $ at Hilton and a SLIGHTLY lower fee. The small additional annual fee on the reserve is easilly offset with the free weekend night every year.

Another advantage to the reserve is that Visa is accepted at a lot more places than Am Ex.

I downgraded my Surpass back to the fee free when the card renewed in December. I'll use the reserve for most of my spending but will still use the Am Ex at Costco and for bonus categories.
    Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:22 am
    Suspended

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
    When I had the Surpass card I never had a problem bookingAXON rewards.

I don't understand why anyone would have the surpass card over the Reserve card. Only advantage is 2 extra points per $ at Hilton and a SLIGHTLY lower fee. The small additional annual fee on the reserve is easilly offset with the free weekend night every year.

Another advantage to the reserve is that Visa is accepted at a lot more places than Am Ex.

I downgraded my Surpass back to the fee free when the card renewed in December. I'll use the reserve for most of my spending but will still use the Am Ex at Costco and for bonus categories.
    I totally agree.

Re your quest of Marriott status, check out the "Challenge" threads and my and other replies to same. I think it will prove helpful to you.
    Old Feb 5, 2013, 1:56 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
    I just talked to someone at Am Ex concerning this.

I saw a few post up someone stated they received something in their statement the change was taking place 2/1. In all honesty, a lot of times my statement goes right into the shredder unopened since I reconcile all my account in quicken online almost every day.

I had a $2,500 cell phone bill (company) I was going to charge and wanted to make sure I still received 6 pts/$ and called.

She pulled up my account and said that I would receive 6 pts/$ on phone and cable and internet charges. I told the rep I heard rumors on a few blogs that the benefits were going away with statements that closed after May 1. She put me on hold for a couple minutes and told me that the bonus on all phone and cable charges was going away May 1. She told me that would be effective with any charges MADE May 1 or later, regardless of the statement closing date (in the past when Am Ex makes a change it has never gone into effect until the statement closes that month).

I also asked her to verify if Drug store bonuses were going away, grocery purchases were dropping to 5 pts/$ and restaurants were increasing to 5 pts/$ and she verified that info was correct as well. I didn't ask her about Hilton charges since those will all go on my Reserve.

I have the fee free card and asked if those changes also applied to the surpass card, and since I no longer have a surpass card, she couldn't tell me what was changing on the Surpass.
    Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:27 pm
    Suspended

I saw a few post up someone stated they received something in their statement the change was taking place 2/1.
    Actually, he does indicate that it takes place on 5/1/13.
    Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat

I saw a few post up someone stated they received something in their statement the change was taking place 2/1.
    The post said their February statement confirmed the reported changes, not that they would take effect in February.
    Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:00 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, he does indicate that it takes place on 5/1/13.
    My bad. Misread that as taking place after the Feb statement closed.
    Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:48 am

Last edited by atxtravel; Feb 6, 2013 at 9:15 am Reason: my mistake, incorrect info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.