Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Changes to Hilton Amex earning structure

Changes to Hilton Amex earning structure

Old Jan 19, 13, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by rove312 View Post
Effective with the first billing period starting on or after May 1, the free card changes to:
■7 points per dollar at Hilton Worldwide properties

■5 points per dollar at U.S. restaurants

■5 points per dollar at U.S. gas stations

■5 points per dollar at U.S. supermarkets

■3 points per dollar for all other eligible purchases
Some of these earning rates are completely noncompetitive. For restaurants, I can get five Citi TYP per dollar, each of which is worth one cent or more, as opposed to five Hilton points (worth roughly 3 cents total).
Old Jan 19, 13, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Originally Posted by beltway View Post
Originally Posted by rove312 View Post
Effective with the first billing period starting on or after May 1, the free card changes to:
■7 points per dollar at Hilton Worldwide properties

■5 points per dollar at U.S. restaurants

■5 points per dollar at U.S. gas stations

■5 points per dollar at U.S. supermarkets

■3 points per dollar for all other eligible purchases
Some of these earning rates are completely noncompetitive. For restaurants, I can get five Citi TYP per dollar, each of which is worth one cent or more, as opposed to five Hilton points (worth roughly 3 cents total).
To keep the conversation going, does anyone think any of these earning rates are worth manufacturing spend for? Gas station and supermarkets both carry options, depending on your geography, but are 5 Hilton points worth more than 5% cash back (freedom and discover more) or 1-3 of a flexible point? I think this card's going in the sock drawer after my May statement. 7x on domestic Hilton is worth something, i guess, probably a wash with 2x on CSP, although here YM definitely V.
Old Jan 19, 13, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sgideons View Post
To keep the conversation going, does anyone think any of these earning rates are worth manufacturing spend for? Gas station and supermarkets both carry options, depending on your geography, but are 5 Hilton points worth more than 5% cash back (freedom and discover more) or 1-3 of a flexible point? I think this card's going in the sock drawer after my May statement. 7x on domestic Hilton is worth something, i guess, probably a wash with 2x on CSP, although here YM definitely V.
It completely depends on your immediate need of hotel stays. If you have some expensive locations coming up, then it would still be worthwhile.

If no particular needs it is totally not worthy. The Club Carlson card looks better and better now - 5x on anything outside hotel stay and the best feature is 1 free award night on every award stay. That is huge saving if you are doing a 2 nights award stay.
Old Jan 20, 13, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
So Surpass earning at HH hotels goes up 33% and free card 16%?
Old Jan 20, 13, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
So Surpass earning at HH hotels goes up 33% and free card 16%?
Surpass already gives 12 points per $1 for Hilton spending apparently as a response to the Citi Reserve card. I think the major story with the new Surpass rewards is it will make it more valuable for those who use it for grocery & gas spending.

Personally I may shift enough restaurant spending from my Citi Forward to maintain diamond with $40k year spending.

Last edited by BrlDsguise; Jan 20, 13 at 12:21 pm
Old Jan 20, 13, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Honestly, I've been expecting everything (besides Hilton Hotels) to return to three points per dollar for years. I'm surprised the bonuses have lasted as long as they have!
Old Jan 20, 13, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Big disappointment for cell phone/cable bills. Our company racks up quite a bit in cell phone/land line charges and they were all going on the Hilton Am Ex for the 6 pts/$ bonus. Looks like those charges will be going on another card now. Seeing all the benefits the Citi Reserve offers, Am Ex should be increasing the benefits, not decreasing them.

It is good news about restaurants at least. If I dine at a place that is part of RN it will mean 13 points per $ at charged.

Last edited by jamesteroh; Jan 20, 13 at 7:01 pm
Old Jan 21, 13, 10:43 am
Suspended

This is a major devaluation for me.

I will continue to use the card at grocery stores and gas stations in order to earn the points multiplier as well as to keep my account alive, but now 1 SPG point is alot better to me than 3 points on Intercom and drug store purchases and as for restaurants, I would rather earn 2 Marriott points as opposed to 5 HHonors points. The Marriott points earned will contribute to requirements for current and lifetime elite status as one earns both points and nights based upon a spend amount. (I think every 3000 points = 1 elite night for current status calculations, as well as lifetime calculations.)
Old Jan 21, 13, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
It is good news about restaurants at least. If I dine at a place that is part of RN it will mean 13 points per $ at charged.
Somewhat good. But remember:

Not all RN restaurants that take Amex give miles for Amex! You have to check the RN site for the restaurant to know whether they give miles for every credit card they take. There are restaurant out there that take Amex but only gives miles for MC/Visa.

So if I'm dining at an RN restaurant but I haven't remembered to check whether they gives miles for Amex, I wouldn't want to use an Amex registered card at that restaurant.

(And futhermore, far from all participating restaurants take Amex in the first place.)
Old Jan 21, 13, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post

Not all RN restaurants that take Amex give miles for Amex! You have to check the RN site for the restaurant to know whether they give miles for every credit card they take. There are restaurant out there that take Amex but only gives miles for MC/Visa.

So if I'm dining at an RN restaurant but I haven't remembered to check whether they gives miles for Amex, I wouldn't want to use an Amex registered card at that restaurant.

(And futhermore, far from all participating restaurants take Amex in the first place.)
I have never heard of a restaraunt that is part of RN not giving miles on every credit card they take. Can you point me to a link for that? It could be a new change, but in the past any credit card registered to your account gave you the points/miles.

I know there are some places that are part of RN that don't take Am Ex. Just as some don't take Disccover. This quarter I am putting my first $1,500 of restaurant purchases on my discover card since it's 5 percent cash back and it's the only quarterly bonus category I would use a credit card in (other ones are gas and movies and I use movie passes I buy from costco so restaurants would be the only thing I would use my discover card on in those categores) and some places that take Am Ex don't take discover.

I know Am Ex charges a pretty steep transaction fee to a lot of small businesses.
Old Jan 21, 13, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise View Post
Surpass already gives 12 points per $1 for Hilton spending apparently as a response to the Citi Reserve card. I think the major story with the new Surpass rewards is it will make it more valuable for those who use it for grocery & gas spending.

Personally I may shift enough restaurant spending from my Citi Forward to maintain diamond with $40k year spending.
Wow, didn't know this. Since when?
Old Jan 21, 13, 10:11 pm

I know that the RN listings aren't reliable for whether a restaurant takes Amex or Discover.
Old Jan 22, 13, 4:17 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
Wow, didn't know this. Since when?
At least November, I think it was reported on the 50k Surpass upgrade thread.
Old Jan 22, 13, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
I have never heard of a restaraunt that is part of RN not giving miles on every credit card they take. Can you point me to a link for that? It could be a new change, but in the past any credit card registered to your account gave you the points/miles..
No, it's not a new change at all. You're simply lucky that you didn't run into it, and apparently you aren't a regular reader of the Rewards Network forum and so you didn't read about the countless references to it before there.

Here's one thread from that froum (from 2010) discussing multiple ecounters with this very problem:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/idine...ring-amex.html

(If you want to continue discussion on this particular issue, please do it in that linked thread. Thanks.)
Old Jan 22, 13, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, it's not a new change at all. You're simply lucky that you didn't run into it, and apparently you aren't a regular reader of the Rewards Network forum and so you didn't read about the countless references to it before there.

Here's one thread from that froum (from 2010) discussing multiple ecounters with this very problem:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/idine...ring-amex.html

(If you want to continue discussion on this particular issue, please do it in that linked thread. Thanks.)
Interesting. Thanks

Search this Thread
Search Engine: