Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Does Hilton need a lower end chain

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2013, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC

With Hampton inn getting nicer and nicer it is almost competing with HGI. I actually like Hampton now the problem is they are not in the smaller cities like they use to be. So does Hilton need to start a new brand for the smaller cities that were originally served by Hampton or lower the Hampton standards, which is highly unlikely since the have been raising them recently? Any other thoughts about what to do in the smaller cities?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
No

What smaller cities have been abandoned by Hampton Inn?

If HH came out with a more basic brand, I doubt if I would want to stay there.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Platinum/Hertz Pres. Circle/Avis Grand Wizard/Wife's Favorite Husband
Originally Posted by troyintn
With Hampton inn getting nicer and nicer it is almost competing with HGI. I actually like Hampton now the problem is they are not in the smaller cities like they use to be. So does Hilton need to start a new brand for the smaller cities that were originally served by Hampton or lower the Hampton standards, which is highly unlikely since the have been raising them recently? Any other thoughts about what to do in the smaller cities?
No. Both Hilton and Marriott already have way to many brands. What's the difference between HGI, Doubletree, Embassy Suites?

Springhill Suites, Courtyard, Fairfield? (Except that you don't get breakfast at CY).

How much more basic than Hampton could you get? Threadbare sheets? No TV? No internet? Outhouse? If such a "brand" existed, I doubt I would stay there. There's a reason I don't stay at Days Inn, Comfort Inn, and Holiday Inn.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 9:04 pm

Not at all. This is suggesting a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
I was hoping they'd sell the Hampton brand.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
HGI is my preferred choice.

There is simply no comparison with Hampton when it comes to business travel, with the bar, restaurant, etc.

The difference between their breakfasts is night and day.

Hamptons vary between poor and okay, but if I just want a bed, they are fine.

That said, on the Marriott side, I will never stay at a Fairfield if I can find a Springhill, so I guess there's an option for Hilton to do something similar. Hamptons just feel too old-school, even the newer ones.

Edit: Doubletrees are wildly inconsistent, and often more expensive than HGI.
Embassies are fine when they are not zoos. But they are horrible when they are zoos, and that happens all too often.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Motorskills
HGI is my preferred choice.

There is simply no comparison with Hampton when it comes to business travel, with the bar, restaurant, etc.

The difference between their breakfasts is night and day.

Hamptons vary between poor and okay, but if I just want a bed, they are fine.
Agreed. I love staying at HGIs and love the brand consistency (aside from the cooked to order vs. buffet breakfast style at various locations).

However, when I have a say, I do NOT choose to stay at Hampton Inn. Some locations I've been to can be compared to Best Western at worst and Holiday Inn Express at best.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I was hoping they'd sell the Hampton brand.
Nothing wrong with hampton, I don't want anything lower. I already love the fake eggs, I don't want to hate them.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StephenW
However, when I have a say, I do NOT choose to stay at Hampton Inn. Some locations I've been to can be compared to Best Western at worst and Holiday Inn Express at best.
Those are the ones that are being forced out of the system in the smaller towns. I do not like the hotels either, but I rather have Hilton something versus a holiday inn express.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:00 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by parvez
No. Both Hilton and Marriott already have way to many brands. What's the difference between HGI, Doubletree, Embassy Suites?

Springhill Suites, Courtyard, Fairfield? (Except that you don't get breakfast at CY).
+1. I can't fathom the difference between the brands. I get the feeling that the difference between two hotels of the same brand can be greater than the differences between two different brands.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
If you want it more basic than HI you need to switch to Wyndham Rewards. Plenty of very basic options.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
With Hampton inn getting nicer and nicer it is almost competing with HGI. I actually like Hampton now the problem is they are not in the smaller cities like they use to be.
I don't see how you can say any of that....

Bob H
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
With Hampton inn getting nicer and nicer it is almost competing with HGI.
I can agree with the notion that the better Hamptons are starting to overlap with lesser HGIs. The solution - IMHO - is better HGIs. Hilton needs to crank up the refurbishment demands.

As for Hamptons not being in smaller cities anymore, try proving that: make a list of Hampton property adds and departures over the last five years. If anything, the Hampton footprint has grown.

The idea that Hilton needs a brand lower than Hampton? I reject it heartily. Let Best Western and Holiday Inn Express do the bottom-fishing.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
As for Hamptons not being in smaller cities anymore, try proving that: make a list of Hampton property adds and departures over the last five years. If anything, the Hampton footprint has grown.
There were rumors for a long time (starting close to a deacde ago by now!) that Hilton was going to dump all Hamptons with outside corridors.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...g-dropped.html

Has it actually happened? Not completely, per a quick scan of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...corridors.html

but to what degree?

That's the only scenario (if largely true) that I could envision that (in certain parts of the country) could possilbly cause a "mass exodus" of Hamptons from smaller cities.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Hampton is an ok brand, but I do find it trivial that in many cases they are more rxpensive than DT and HGI in the same markets. Why would I stay there and only get 1000 bonus points and a crappy breakfast.

HI was fine as an upscale more econical brand..

A big what if here...... What if Hilton took on say LaQuinta as a budget friendly brand?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.