Search

help building HILTON points

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
help building HILTON points

Hello all,

I've been a frequent reader of this forum, and employee of UA for some time. That being said, I am very curious the easiest way to accrue "valuable" Hilton Honors points. I do a significant amount of traveling for work(non biz), but am not interested in spending all my money to accrue the points...

The reason I am so interested in accruing points is due to the fact a honeymoon in a year or so will be done at a Hilton resort (Maldives.. Conrad resort), and using points will definitly help.

Also, by using my UA credit card, does it recognize hotel purchases? Or, do I need to book them all via the UA MP website?

Thank you so much for your help!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
e-rewards

I believe Hilton is a redemption partner.

More importantly, NEVER book a hotel through the MP website (or any 3rd party site for that matter). General rule of thumb is prepay rate through non-hotel website = 0 points. Many of us have learned this the hard way.

I'll alert the mod to move this to the Hilton Forum as I'm sure many people there are knowledgeable on easy and cheap ways to accrue Hhonors points.

Welcome to FT.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:47 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Well, one way to accrue points is to stay at Hilton properties, and sign up for the (mostly quarterly) promos. While at the hotel, remember to charge everything you can on the room.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Don't overlook the Hhonors premeire credit card. I'm in a $700 room at the Waldorf courtesy of the two free nights and my status upgrade (and some begging...anniversary!)

You and fiancé each get a card, that's four nights plus 100K points...most of a weeks stay.

(Edit) not sure the certs are good at your destination but still...
Old Jan 12, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Get a Hilton Hhonors credit card, I prefer the AmEx to the Visa. Get a second card (on your account) in your fiance name. Put all your everyday costs on it, ie: if you usually pay cash/check and they take credit cards, charge it and pay off the bill at the end of the month. You get extra points for gas, grocery, ect.... I builds up very fast.

If you spend more than $20,000 a year, you also get Gold status which is good for some upgrade, but also free breakfast.

Good luck.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: HHonnors Diamond, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LongingForORD
Get a Hilton Hhonors credit card, I prefer the AmEx to the Visa. Get a second card (on your account) in your fiance name. Put all your everyday costs on it, ie: if you usually pay cash/check and they take credit cards, charge it and pay off the bill at the end of the month. You get extra points for gas, grocery, ect.... I builds up very fast.

If you spend more than $20,000 a year, you also get Gold status which is good for some upgrade, but also free breakfast.

Good luck.
I think you actually get Gold Status for having the card, and Diamond status if you spend $20k in a calendar year....
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by gbearbuck
I think you actually get Gold Status for having the card, and Diamond status if you spend $20k in a calendar year....
Not with the freebie Amex. I pay no fee and get Gold for $20K a year spend (of course with 22 stays, I get Gold anyway).
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Not with the freebie Amex. I pay no fee and get Gold for $20K a year spend (of course with 22 stays, I get Gold anyway).
or many less if you know what promos are going on....

I've made Diamond with 7 stays in x amount of time where x was a small number, but it was easy to do because I was on a trip that put me in a different city each night for about 10 days.

Bob H
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...5k-offers.html

Another way to earn 70k+ Hhonors points (1 HA mile = 2Hhonors points).
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: HHonnors Diamond, AA Gold, UA Silver
gotcha... how many points do you get for hilton spend? Is it 6,9, or 12?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Not true.

Free Amex, Gold AFTER spending $20K in a calendar year. No ability to get to Diamond with spend.

AMEX Surpass: $75 annual fee (not waived), GOLD free FIRST year ONLY, Gold after $20K annual spend thereafter. Diamond AFTER $40K annual spend
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Hilton Reserve Visa gives automatic Gold by having the card (not just the first year), Diamond after $40K in spend, 2 free weekend room nights after $2,500 K in spend within the first 4 months and another room night certificate after $10K in spend after the first anniversary.

The Gold benefits in Europe (free breakfast) are worth about 30 euros per person, so a multimate-day stay, plus the free weekend nights will more than offset the annual cost of the card.

Fee is $95 and the anniversary cert posts 6-8 weeks after the anniversary, meaning you may have to keep the card open to receive/use the certificate.

3x points for most purchases w/ 5 points for airline and car rentals and 10 points at Hilton properties.

If you really want to rack up the points (30K per month) check out some of the blogs re:Amex Bluebird. CVS purchases count as drug store purchases, so many are reporting that they can buy Vanilla reload cards on their Hilton Amex cards and get 6x points. With a 5K Bluebird reload limit per month, 5K x 6 points = a potential 30,000 Hilton points per month.

Last edited by FrAAmer; Jan 12, 2013 at 4:55 pm
Old Jan 12, 2013, 6:59 pm

gotcha... how many points do you get for hilton spend? Is it 6,9, or 12?
You sure did get me, you would think I would know. I have no idea.

Ok, back now I looked it up on line. I get 3 points for each $, + bonus points.

Guess I dont have a great deal, but it is a free AmEx and I am usually happy with them. I always seem to have all the points I need, when I am ready to use them.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:06 pm

Both Citi and Amex has a hilton card that give you a nice sum of hilton bonus points
Old Jan 13, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: Delta DM, HH DM
I just got the Visa Reserve Hilton card and unfortunately it no longer comes with the 2 free certificates and no longer has an additional one after $2500 spend. It still has the gold status and higher purchases points award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.