Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Berlin, Germany {DEU}

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Berlin, Germany {DEU}

Old Jan 7, 13, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Arrow DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Berlin, Germany {DEU}

I'm staying in Berlin next week 1/13-1/17 and am trying to decide between:

(1) 2x Hilton stays (80k) - 2x Grant Hyatt (15k HGP + Gourmet Club free night)
(2) 2x Grand Hyatt (15k HGP + GC) - 2x Waldorf Astoria (100k)
(3) 4x 1 night stays going Blu ($130+10k) - Hilton (40k) - Grand Hyatt (GC) - Waldorf Astoria (50k)

I currently have Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond status (60 day trial) & Club Carlson Gold. Thoughts on the best of the above options taking status into account? Will the massive potential upgrade inventory / breakfast benefit of the Hilton best the shiny newness of the Waldorf Astoria?

Thanks for any input!
Old Jan 8, 13, 4:46 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, LC Aurelian, LCAH Gold, MR Silver, LH M&M Frequent Traveller
Originally Posted by lowimpact View Post
I'm staying in Berlin next week 1/13-1/17 and am trying to decide between:

(1) 2x Hilton stays (80k) - 2x Grant Hyatt (15k HGP + Gourmet Club free night)
(2) 2x Grand Hyatt (15k HGP + GC) - 2x Waldorf Astoria (100k)
(3) 4x 1 night stays going Blu ($130+10k) - Hilton (40k) - Grand Hyatt (GC) - Waldorf Astoria (50k)

I currently have Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond status (60 day trial) & Club Carlson Gold. Thoughts on the best of the above options taking status into account? Will the massive potential upgrade inventory / breakfast benefit of the Hilton best the shiny newness of the Waldorf Astoria?

Thanks for any input!

Taking status into account?

(1)

You get all possible benefits at the Hyatt and minimum comp. breakfast and probably EL access at the Hilton.

5* luxury only?

(2)

Testing different Berlin locations?

(3)

Potsdamer Platz (Grand Hyatt) - most controversial new square in Berlin
Schlossplatz/Alexanderplatz (Blu) - near TV tower, contrasting faces of former East part
Gendarmenmarkt (Hilton) - History, Culture, Dining
City West/Ku´Damm (W-A) - Past and future lifestyle location in the former West part

The best of both worlds - East and West top locations (My choice)?

(4)

Hilton (2 nights) and W-A (2 nights)

My personal location rating (1. = best):

1. Hilton
2. W-A
3. Blu
4. Grand Hyatt

My personal hotel rating (1. = best):

1. W-A (5*)
2. Hilton (4*)
3. Grand Hyatt (5*)
4. Blu (4*)

"I get the most for my money in Berlin (of all Berlin hotels - facilities, service, location)":

1. Hilton

Welcome to Germany. Enjoy your stay.
Old Jan 23, 13, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Went with 2x Hilton stays (20k cash & points + 40k) + 2x Grant Hyatt (15k HGP + Gourmet Club free night). Both properties were very nice with a better breakfast spread at the Hilton, but more central location / better sauna and pool at the Hyatt. I'd definitely go with either again, but would prefer the Berlin Grand Hyatt for the more central locale.
Old Jan 19, 14, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Bronze; HHonors Diamond; SPG Gold; Le Club Platinum; Hertz #1 Club Gold; Amex Platinum
Berlin: Hilton or Waldorf Astoria?

We are in Berlin for one night in August on the way home from Abu Dhabi and I'm looking to book a stay at one of these hotels under the 'Any Weekend Anywhere' promo.

Both look great and prices are fine, but I'm concerned about the location of the Waldorf Astoria. We want to be within walking distance of the main sites, but it seems a little further out than the Hilton. Also, I'm conscious that the Waldorf doesn't offer complimentary breakfast to Diamonds and has no Executive Lounge.

Some opinions would be greatly appreciated. I would love to try the Waldorf Astoria as it is one Hilton brand I've never tried, but only if it really is worth it over the Hilton.

MAN-FF
Old Jan 19, 14, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
A search on 'Berlin' yields several threads, including this one on the W-A with comprehensive trip comments.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...s-reviews.html
Old Jan 19, 14, 8:25 am

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
I'd already stayed 3 or 4 times at Hilton and once at WA.

Locationwise the WA is well suited for strolling around KuDamm (Kurfürstendamm), for anything else (especially Brandenburger Tor, Checkpoint Charlie, Unter den Linden, Invalidendom, Rote Rathaus, Alexanderplatz, Funkturm) imho the Hilton is better located.

I booked a "standard room" at WA and made a Nor1 upgrade to a Junior Suite for 50€ and was disappointed. All in all I paid about 175 € including breakfast but I felt that it wasn't worth it. Here's the video of my suite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTWqIegbl3M

Anyway I'd probably choose the Hilton over WA but keep in mind that their upgrade policy is inconsistent at best. Lot's of reviews where you don't get an upgrade to executive room when you just booked the standard room.
Old Jan 19, 14, 8:49 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by MAN-FF View Post
We are in Berlin .........

Some opinions would be greatly appreciated. I would love to try the Waldorf Astoria as it is one Hilton brand I've never tried, but only if it really is worth it over the Hilton.

MAN-FF
I have stayed in both ( as gold ).
The Hilton is very well located ( very central ) and is a very nice hotel. Bought normal room twice and got upgraded to room with view both times. Full breakfast.

The Waldorf Astoria is very luxurious with big rooms. It's in the newer part of town next to the big shopping street ( Tauenzienstrasse, Kurfurstendam ) with the famous department store Ka-De-We and others.
There is a metro stop right outside the hotel and it's about 7 stops to the Gendarmenmarkt (Mitte) where Hilton is, a little less to Potsdamer platz, a little more to Alexander platz. No need to change lines.
There is a fast bus to and fro from the airport (Tegel) at the station opposite the hotel.
Bought deluxe room once and got corner deluxe with view and bought deluxe with view once and got corner junior suite with view (huge).
Beware that the 'junior deluxe rooms' are smaller rooms in the part of the hotel that is not high ( as far as I was told by reception ).
No breakfast of course but a voucher for champagne.
And they have the most wonderful spa with pool, bobble bath, dry sauna and wet sauna.
Old Jan 19, 14, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze; HHonors Diamond; SPG Gold; Le Club Platinum; Hertz #1 Club Gold; Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
A search on 'Berlin' yields several threads, including this one on the W-A with comprehensive trip comments.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...s-reviews.html
I know, I've already thought to do this....

I'm looking for direct comparisons and opinions from those who have recently stayed in both (like those above who have already kindly provided them).

MAN-FF
Old Jan 19, 14, 9:13 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
If you haven't been to Berlin and have only one night I'd definitely choose the Hilton. You can walk to many places which you might want to visit and as I wrote in my brief report my only complaint was internet stopped working part of the time I was there. I'd go back there anytime.
Old Jan 19, 14, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
If you haven't been to Berlin and have only one night I'd definitely choose the Hilton. You can walk to many places which you might want to visit and as I wrote in my brief report my only complaint was internet stopped working part of the time I was there. I'd go back there anytime.
Yes it's our first time in Berlin so we haven't seen any of the sights. Shopping isn't a priority to be honest. We like to cover a new city as much as possible on foot, so I'm looking to avoid public transport.

MAN-FF
Old Jan 19, 14, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MAN-FF View Post
I know, I've already thought to do this....

I'm looking for direct comparisons and opinions from those who have recently stayed in both (like those above who have already kindly provided them).

MAN-FF
The Hilton Berlin thread also contains a few direct comparisons of the hotel from stays in the last year:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-berlin-5.html
Old Jan 19, 14, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond.
cant help with a comparison as i havent been to the hilton.

but would (and have) recommend the WA. Staff were fantastic, the area around the hotel is nice with good restaurants and nice shops.

I was upgraded to what i was told was a junior suite, but it was at least twice the size of the room in the youtube video up thread.

also given drinks vouchers for the bar as diamond
Old Jan 20, 14, 3:04 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by stewaran View Post

I was upgraded to what i was told was a junior suite, but it was at least twice the size of the room in the youtube video up thread.
Yes my junior suite was also much much bigger than the room in the video. According to the Hotels site junior suites should be 66 m2.
Old Jan 20, 14, 3:28 am

Programs: FB Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by olisch View Post
I'd already stayed 3 or 4 times at Hilton and once at WA.

Locationwise the WA is well suited for strolling around KuDamm (Kurfürstendamm), for anything else (especially Brandenburger Tor, Checkpoint Charlie, Unter den Linden, Invalidendom, Rote Rathaus, Alexanderplatz, Funkturm) imho the Hilton is better located.

I booked a "standard room" at WA and made a Nor1 upgrade to a Junior Suite for 50€ and was disappointed. All in all I paid about 175 € including breakfast but I felt that it wasn't worth it. Here's the video of my suite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTWqIegbl3M

Anyway I'd probably choose the Hilton over WA but keep in mind that their upgrade policy is inconsistent at best. Lot's of reviews where you don't get an upgrade to executive room when you just booked the standard room.
When looking at your room in the YouTube video it does rather look like one of the standard rooms instead of a junior suite, as I also stayed in a standard room but "with view" and I recognized the room instantly. And when checking the website for photo's of the junior suite it looks different. So either the hotel did not give you the estandby upgrade for the suite, or the junior suites tend to have different layouts throughout the hotel, and in that case you did receive the junior suite. Just guessing based on my experience during the stay.
Old Jan 20, 14, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, LC Aur, Hyatt Dmd, Mar/SPG "Lifetime" Plat, HH Dmd, IC Amb, Sixt Dmd
Stayed at both many times.

You should stay at the Hilton. Can't beat the location if that is your first time in Berlin. Try to get a room with a view of Gendarmenmarkt.

Search this Thread