Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Berlin, Germany {DEU}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Berlin, Germany {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:20 am

I would echo Kacee's sentiments above. When I stay at the Hilton, I don't care what room type I am assigned, as long as it has a view of the Französischer Dom (French cathedral). My sweet spot is a room on the 2nd floor. I'm not a big fan of Alexanderplatz. It lacks so much of the charm of Gendarmenmarkt. I am always treated very well at the Hilton, and wouldn't want to stay elsewhere. Berlin hotels have a lower ADR than other major markets in Germany, even Europe. This won't last, as the city becomes ever more touristed and MICE travel is beginning to take hold. Once the new airport is completed, the city's influx of visitors will increase substantially, as more flights will bring in that many more.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by arlflyer
That could honestly be a cut-and-paste accurate review of any Hilton in a German city! Tiny rooms, no elite benefits, great breakfast, centrally located.
I take it you have not been to either Dusseldorf or Munich?
:D! likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyme2
I would echo Kacee's sentiments above. When I stay at the Hilton, I don't care what room type I am assigned, as long as it has a view of the Französischer Dom (French cathedral). My sweet spot is a room on the 2nd floor. I'm not a big fan of Alexanderplatz. It lacks so much of the charm of Gendarmenmarkt. I am always treated very well at the Hilton, and wouldn't want to stay elsewhere. Berlin hotels have a lower ADR than other major markets in Germany, even Europe. This won't last, as the city becomes ever more touristed and MICE travel is beginning to take hold. Once the new airport is completed, the city's influx of visitors will increase substantially, as more flights will bring in that many more.
Gendarmenmarkt is a much nicer location than Alexanderplatz, and you'll have a far better selection of shaping and restaurants at your doorstep. Berlin does indeed have a lower ADR than most other major European markets, in part because of the huge offering at the 4*/5* level, but MICE travel has been here for decades.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I take it you have not been to either Dusseldorf or Munich?
Haha, have been to both actually. Fair enough.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:21 am
Suspended

Haha, have been to both actually. Fair enough.
I really dislike the location of both. But Dusseldorf is such a terrible hotel, I only stayed there once and never again.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 5:53 am

I really dislike the location of both. But Dusseldorf is such a terrible hotel, I only stayed there once and never again.
When I stayed there it was over winter holidays and I was paying 65 EUR/night. I found it fine for the price.

Munich (Park) I have no issue with - for a pleasure trip I like being in the park, and have actually stayed there over winter as well so like the proximity to the Christmas market at the Chinese Tower. It is easily accessible via tram.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:02 am

I favor the location of the Hilton, as it is within easy walking distance for a fit person to most of the sites which hold interest to me.

I completely agree with you about Dusseldorf. I much prefer nearby Cologne or Bonn.

b...but MICE travel has been here for decades...
I should have said MICE travel will take a firmer hold, commensurate to its size and stature within Germany.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:20 pm

Thank you so much for your advice!! That is really helpful. Someone mentioned that they like to stay at the Hampton West because of the location. Would that be a good location for first time visitors? Or is the Hilton's location the best? Thanks again!!
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bluemoon71
Thank you so much for your advice!! That is really helpful. Someone mentioned that they like to stay at the Hampton West because of the location. Would that be a good location for first time visitors? Or is the Hilton's location the best? Thanks again!!
Presumably you're visiting for a reason...why not take a look at a map and see which is closer to the things you're planning to see?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:52 pm

Presumably you're visiting for a reason...why not take a look at a map and see which is closer to the things you're planning to see?
Totally valid. However, I think there are some aspects of location that aren't immediately obvious based on proximity on a map. Some people have mentioned construction, atmosphere, etc. as differences between Alexanderplatz and the Gendarmenmarkt area that, especially as a first time visitor, I never would have considered or been able to know based upon a map. I realize everyone's location preferences are different, but I find it really helpful to hear why someone might prefer one location over another. Thanks again!
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:26 pm

Totally valid. However, I think there are some aspects of location that aren't immediately obvious based on proximity on a map. Some people have mentioned construction, atmosphere, etc. as differences between Alexanderplatz and the Gendarmenmarkt area that, especially as a first time visitor, I never would have considered or been able to know based upon a map. I realize everyone's location preferences are different, but I find it really helpful to hear why someone might prefer one location over another. Thanks again!
As someone who has lived in Berlin, I would rather the Gendarmenmarkt location than the one near Zoologischer garten. The zoo is wonderful to visit, but if you plan to go out at night, there's much more that's easily accessible from Gendarmenmarkt. Not sure when the Weihnachtsmaerkte are set up in Germany, which may change the calculus of what there is to do after shops close, but the Kudamm area is not as "lively" as Mitte, generally speaking.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Someone mentioned that they like to stay at the Hampton West because of the location. Would that be a good location for first time visitors?
IMO no, the Hilton's location in Mitte is much preferred, particularly for a first time visitor. Ku'damm area (West Berlin) is good for shopping (KaDeWe) but that's about it.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chickensandwich
As someone who has lived in Berlin, I would rather the Gendarmenmarkt location than the one near Zoologischer garten. The zoo is wonderful to visit, but if you plan to go out at night, there's much more that's easily accessible from Gendarmenmarkt. Not sure when the Weihnachtsmaerkte are set up in Germany, which may change the calculus of what there is to do after shops close, but the Kudamm area is not as "lively" as Mitte, generally speaking.
Originally Posted by Kacee
IMO no, the Hilton's location in Mitte is much preferred, particularly for a first time visitor. Ku'damm area (West Berlin) is good for shopping (KaDeWe) but that's about it.
Berlin resident here...

I don’t necessarily agree with these points. I have often walked past the Hampton on Uhlandstrasse and thought that it was a smart looking hotel in a great location. Depending on the reason for my visit to Berlin, I’d happily stay there. But you need to understand the location a bit. The Ku’damm area was the centre of West Berlin and at the same time an upscale residential area. Even today I would argue that there are far more interesting restaurants and shops in that area than around Gendarmenmarkt. The zoo happens to be near as well, but that’s not really the point. Mitte is much more commercial and touristy. Ku’damm more settled. If you want a comparison, think of New York. A first time tourist will probably want to stay near Times Square. Fair enough. A repeat visitor or someone who prefers to blend in might prefer a quiet hotel on the UES.
treppenlaeufer likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you want a comparison, think of New York. A first time tourist will probably want to stay near Times Square. Fair enough. A repeat visitor or someone who prefers to blend in might prefer a quiet hotel on the UES.
Sorry, that is not an apt analogy. Mitte=Times Square is not at all accurate. If Berlin has a TS equivalent, it's Wittenbergplatz or Potsdamerplatz (though neither compares for neon, crowds, or sheer overwhelming tackiness).
flyme2 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 12:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
Sorry, that is not an apt analogy. Mitte=Times Square is not at all accurate. If Berlin has a TS equivalent, it's Wittenbergplatz or Potsdamerplatz (though neither compares for neon, crowds, or sheer overwhelming tackiness).
The point was less about neon lights and tacky, but to draw a distinction between an area that is largely commercial/retail and one that is slower-paced and more residential. Comparisons are always difficult when taken too literally, but change it for 5th & 57th and Sutton Place if you like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.