Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Dublin, Ireland: The Morrison, Curio collection by Hilton [was Doubletree] {IRL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dublin, Ireland: The Morrison, Curio collection by Hilton [was Doubletree] {IRL}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2013, 2:37 am
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Superb stay

Stayed there a couple of weeks ago. An excellent location and a superb refreshing of the old Morrison Hotel.

It's very much a boutique hotel and has the cool/wow factor that no other HH brand hotel in Dublin has.

Rooms are beautiful and free wifi is 100MB apparently (I got 20MB up & down on wifi). Breakfast - don't know, but the early take-away coffee & pastries was offered and accepted without prompting.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone. Staff friendly, but a few newbies there too, so a little patience may be required...
Old Feb 16, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by JAP
Stayed there a couple of weeks ago. An excellent location and a superb refreshing of the old Morrison Hotel.

It's very much a boutique hotel and has the cool/wow factor that no other HH brand hotel in Dublin has.

Rooms are beautiful and free wifi is 100MB apparently (I got 20MB up & down on wifi). Breakfast - don't know, but the early take-away coffee & pastries was offered and accepted without prompting.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone. Staff friendly, but a few newbies there too, so a little patience may be required...
Can you compare this property to the Conrad Dublin? I have a stay planned at the Conrad later this year.

Thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Nice to hear. Stayed at the Morrison several times over the years, glad to hear it's part of Hilton. Great boutique hotel in a wonderful location. Hopefully the new ownership carries it on well.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:30 pm

I'm looking at this property for four nights in June. Reasonable prices for most I'm sure, 143 E, for nights I'm looking, but bit above cash budget for wife and I, but below what I'd like to get in point value for an AXON. Might not stretch budget ~$760 this trip to pay that cash, so deciding between points 125K for Morrison, 145K for Conrad, or cash ~$100 cash rate someplace else. I'll be Gold by June too, so wanting to use those benefits is making me lean Conrad, unless some think the Morrison is perhaps the better property and simply undervalued.

EDIT: realizing I before had GBP instead of Euros, which is helping sway me a bit toward Morrison now..

Last edited by courspanis; Feb 16, 2013 at 5:05 pm Reason: realizing
Old Feb 16, 2013, 2:03 pm
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
2 very different animals

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Can you compare this property to the Conrad Dublin? I have a stay planned at the Conrad later this year.

Thanks.
Have stayed at both, although it's been quite a few months since I've been at the Conrad.

Depends on what you want. Morrison is very much more a boutique property, with brand new rooms & services. Mostly excellent, but still a couple of occasional speedbumps. Conrad is a very mature, more corporate-y hotel. Rooms there could prob do with a refresh, although they are generally very very good.

Morrison is in a more buzzy area, and will be closer (although not much) to restaurants & the nightlife of Temple Bar just across the river. Conrad is closer to shopping and on a quieter street (at the weekend), just opposite the National Concert Hall, and across from St Stephen's Green Park.

The Morrison certainly will have a hipper and more cool vibe about it, and depending on your own family preferences, I'd probably suggest giving it a shot.

Oh, however - the Conrad has a car park directly under it, whereas the Morrison's one is a few yards down the street. Not a biggie, but fyi.... And Conrad is on the posh side of the city, where the Morrison backs onto a more gritty area too.

Hope this helps?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 2:04 pm
JAP

See below

Originally Posted by courspanis
I'm looking at this property for four nights in June. Reasonable prices for most I'm sure, 143 GBP, for nights I'm looking, but bit above cash budget for wife and I, but below what I'd like to get in point value for an AXON. Not going to be able to stretch budget ~$880 this trip to pay that cash, so deciding between points 125K for Morrison, 145K for Conrad, or cash ~$100 cash rate someplace else. I'll be Gold by June too, so wanting to use those benefits is making me lean Conrad, unless some think the Morrison is perhaps the better property and simply undervalued.
Let me know what you're planning to do and what type of hotel you prefer, and I can answer any Qs.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by JAP
Have stayed at both, although it's been quite a few months since I've been at the Conrad.

Depends on what you want. Morrison is very much more a boutique property, with brand new rooms & services. Mostly excellent, but still a couple of occasional speedbumps. Conrad is a very mature, more corporate-y hotel. Rooms there could prob do with a refresh, although they are generally very very good.

Morrison is in a more buzzy area, and will be closer (although not much) to restaurants & the nightlife of Temple Bar just across the river. Conrad is closer to shopping and on a quieter street (at the weekend), just opposite the National Concert Hall, and across from St Stephen's Green Park.

The Morrison certainly will have a hipper and more cool vibe about it, and depending on your own family preferences, I'd probably suggest giving it a shot.

Oh, however - the Conrad has a car park directly under it, whereas the Morrison's one is a few yards down the street. Not a biggie, but fyi.... And Conrad is on the posh side of the city, where the Morrison backs onto a more gritty area too.

Hope this helps?
Thanks for your input, I'll weigh your pros and cons for both. ^
Old Feb 16, 2013, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by roknroll
Got a message back from The Morrison after a few days of waiting. They said that the official press release went out this morning confirming that they will be a DoubleTree after reopening in February ^

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...t-3341918.html
To add to that news, here's a press release upon the opening, with some more information about the changes, like how "the hotel's new look incorporates lyrics from nearly 30 Irish songwriters and the work of a dozen Irish artists...Each individual guestroom is adorned with a line from songs made famous by local acts such as The Script and Paul Brady, straddling gems from customary Irish folk ballads to instantly recognisable modern hits."
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1P, MR PE ++++
Stayed the first Tuesday (5 Feb) after opening weekend for a one night award stay. Arrived at 2pm and room was not ready yet (before standard check in time so no issue). Held my luggage as I went for some lunch in town. Arrived back at 3pm. Room was ready and luggage was already there.

Rm 420: Back corner facing side street (slight river and Jervis Center views). Modern white room nicely appointed. King bed which was comfy with extra large pillows. TV didn't work so staff came up and fixed pretty quickly. Very nice fruit platter and two large sparkling/still water bottles for having Hilton status. The bathroom was average size. Countertop did not seem to be redone though. But still fine. Wi-fi was fast and free (possibly just for HHonors).

Lobby/front desk: Nicely done up. Staff was were extremely helpful but could tell still learning system. Ask for info on theatre/music that evening but although she tried had difficulty finding anything (no concierge on duty). Have a computer/printer in lobby. I wanted to check-in for flight but neither worked. They were able to get the computer going but not the printer so was able to choose my seats and send BP to my phone. Also found some good plays/music for the evening. Asst GM was most accomodating and promised me a meal in the restaurant for my issues. Staff also gave me the wrong directions to the nearest ATM ( in the Spar convienience store a block west of hotel vice east)

Bar/Restaurant: They was still some work being done (an artist had painted some pictures that he was installing and varnishing over on the columns) so had the paint smell. I had a nice chat with him. Carl behind the bar and the waitress from Lithuania were very courteous and attentive. Well stocked with several Irish Craft brews (8 degrees and Dungarvan I believe). Ate at the bar. Ordered the John Dory catch of the day. Was not to my personal liking but might have been just me. Offered to pay for the beers but the bartender stated not to worry that it was covered by the A GM.

Checkout: Had to wake up early to catch a flight. The included breakfast didn't start to 7:30 so missed out on that. Front desk provided directions to the Air Coach (since I was paying E7) a few blocks east and up O'Connell). Bill included the cost of the meal and drinks. Front desk said she would work out with the GM. Have not seen a final bill yet so hopefully will work out.

All and all a very good stay. Great location on the North bank with in the walking distance of everything. Once they get opening weekend kinks out it will be a great place to stay.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:13 am

Anyone stayed at the Burlington yet, now uninspiringly reflagged as the 'DT Dublin Hotel'? The website states there is an executive lounge, how does it compare with the typical Hilton exec lounge? Given that it was an independent hotel previously, I will be interested to know how they treat elites.

Website says renovations complete by September so hopefully they will be actually done before my stay in December.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I see there is now a DT Dublin for around 65 euros - visiting next June, Tripadvisor didn't like it very much under the old branding; something about a lot of tour buses.

maybe I should stay on this post number; probably sinned a bit in my lifetime.

Last edited by kmandrew; Jul 21, 2013 at 9:41 am
Old Jul 24, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Just returned from a 5 night stay at a Junior Suite at the Morrison booked with HHonors points. I booked the room before the HHonors devaluation, and while it certainly wasn't the best (or even close to the best) redemption I could have used back then, I had no other future Hilton plans - so I had to make it work!

Background aside, the stay itself was great! It's clear that there was a very recent rennovation at this hotel - many of the hotel areas have a lingering smell of fresh wood. Check-in was quick and efficient, and the hotel was both clean and comfortable. It sounds like they've worked out the kinks that some other earlier reviewers experienced.

My only real complaint was the air conditioning isn't that great. However we were in Dublin during an unusually warm 80+ period; so I can definitely understand that their A/C isn't normally asked to cope with that.

The suite we were given had a River Liffey view, but honestly I wouldn't necessarily recommend it if it's warm outside. The river itself isn't exactly the most picturesque, and having left the windows open to cool off from the heat, we found ourselves having trouble sleeping as adjacent Temble Bar area is loud. Though despite being across the river from Temple Bar, most of the noise came not from partiers, but from trucks throwing around and replacing kegs in the mornings. Such is Dublin I suppose.

However if you're there during a cooler period and have the windows shut, you can't hear anything. They added double-insulated windows as part of the renovation.

As far as the location itself - it's great. You're out of the insanity of Temple Bar, but can very quickly walk anywhere. Additionally, there's a Luas stop about 50 ft behind the hotel that can get you pretty much anywhere east/west.

While I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Morrison for a reward stay as their rates are actually quite reasonable, I certainly can recommend staying there. We had a great time.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
I stayed at The Morrison twice this month (3 nights payed for and 2 nights on points). My impressions are all in all very positive, due to the great staff. The hotel still seems to encounter some troubles (with a plug in our bathroom that caused a short-circuit which could not be fixed instantly - with the stereo devices in the suite on second stay). But I found staff being dedicated to overcome those teething trouble and working hard to do a great job.

I would agree that the a/c is not too strong ('The Weather' just started when we arrived to Ireland and was with us throughout the fortnight we spent there) and that there is current traffic on both sides of river Liffey. We found, that people talking in the hallway and or letting go the doors could easily be heard in the room.

At our first stay we were upgraded to a Junior Suite (looking into the street behind the hotel, it had a small balcony). We met the general manager and he was very kind to upgrade us to the penthouse suite on our second stay.
What appeals me is that the hotel layout is uneven. It is formed by two buildings and rooms seem to differ a lot. And for sure, having being thoroughly renovated is also nice.

Breakfast is in a restaurant that is used in the evening for private events. As such is serves as a breakfast restaurant what is a rare fixture these days.
The Morrison Grill did not convince us and I think there is room for improvement.

Behind the hotel, where the LUAS stop is (which connects the hotel with the Heuston and the Connolly railway stations), is also a shopping center with Tesco and Marks & Spencer food hall. Very convenient.

As a nearby alternative for dinner there is Wynn's Hotel (at the street where LUAS is) - old style, good cuisine, moderately priced.
As a nearby alternative to a Temple Bar pub is the "Pantibar" just in the street behind The Morrison, a gay pub frequented by both sexes if not necessarily straight couples. - Both were a great find.

I would return to this hotel because of being not stereotype and -first of all- because of the staff and general manager.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum HH Diamond
Good to hear of positive reports of Hilton hotels in Ireland.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by FormalHall
Anyone stayed at the Burlington yet, now uninspiringly reflagged as the 'DT Dublin Hotel'? The website states there is an executive lounge, how does it compare with the typical Hilton exec lounge? Given that it was an independent hotel previously, I will be interested to know how they treat elites.

Website says renovations complete by September so hopefully they will be actually done before my stay in December.
I second this...would love to hear any firsthand info. Just booked over Christmas for 16,000 hhonors points a night. If it's anything decent at all it will be an absolute steal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.