Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Overwhelmed. Requesting Travel Planning Strategy - Conrad Maldives Rangali and...?

Overwhelmed. Requesting Travel Planning Strategy - Conrad Maldives Rangali and...?

Old Dec 26, 12, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver

So I've been on FT for a long time and admired the many rave reviews of the Conrad property in the Maldives (and of those in the Seychelles). Due to changes in the circumstances of our lives, my partner and I now have the option to travel for an extended period of time and before having kids!

We are aware of the various rewards, i.e. AXON, GLON, etc available for Diamonds - but we're a bit overwhelmed by the various travel combinations that other seasoned travelers seem to have come up with. We decided that we should reach out via this post and ask for planning/strategy suggestions and tips.

We would like to book our travel using *A miles and approximately 450K HH points. Travel would need to be in December 2013 and be for approximately 7-14 days. The idea of staying a few nights at another location is intriguing (i.e. Seychelles? or even VIE, CDG, etc. while enroute to MLE from IAD). Ideally, we'd like to stay in an OTW room but it seems that those rooms aren't available using HH points - and we're not too sure if we're willing to shell out additional dollars since we heard kids are kind of expensive!

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 26, 12, 10:59 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Nado View Post
S Ideally, we'd like to stay in an OTW room but it seems that those rooms aren't available using HH points - and we're not too sure if we're willing to shell out additional dollars since we heard kids are kind of expensive!

Thanks in advance!
Kids are kind of expensive.. but in my mind if you're going to go all the way to the Maldives, then go all the way... you might not have the opportunity again....

FDW
Old Dec 26, 12, 3:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
This is what comes to mind, when talking about maximizing a trip which will include Maldives:
- IAD-IST-MLE with TK. Best European airline that flies to MLE.
- 2-3 nights in Istanbul. December is not the best time of the year, but a great city to visit.
- 4-6 nights at the Conrad. You can also do 4 nights at Conrad and 4 nights at the Hilton Maldives...
- research the other great HH places in East Asia, and choose 1-2 more places from Singapore, Bali, Koh Samui, Bangkok, Hong-Kong.
- Try a return in F via Bangkok, with outbound F sector with TG. If on the A380 via FRA, even better
Old Dec 26, 12, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Dia, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by CAlex View Post
- 4-6 nights at the Conrad. You can also do 4 nights at Conrad and 4 nights at the Hilton Maldives...
I recommend staying the entire time at the Conrad, not worth hotel hopping in the Maldives IMO (as the resort transfers are costly). The Conrad is much nicer and offers better HH elite benefits (i.e. breakfast / happy hour / etc).
Old Dec 26, 12, 7:19 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by jdawg View Post
I recommend staying the entire time at the Conrad, not worth hotel hopping in the Maldives IMO (as the resort transfers are costly). The Conrad is much nicer and offers better HH elite benefits (i.e. breakfast / happy hour / etc).
+1 on this. Dont bother with the 2 resorts. Am at the Conrad now and it's AMAZING. the cost and time of the transfer just aint worth it.
Old Dec 27, 12, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ

TK better than BA????
Old Dec 27, 12, 3:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
I'd go as far as saying yes, given the food and better lie-flat seat. Anyhow, OP has *A miles, so BA won't help him much...
Old Dec 27, 12, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by terminalfive View Post
TK better than BA????
A BA award ticket is hardly "free" though given the YQ surcharge.
Old Dec 27, 12, 4:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1K
Originally Posted by vxmike View Post
A BA award ticket is hardly "free" though given the YQ surcharge.
Yea the last time I tried to book an award ticket on BA my free ticket was going to cost me $700 per person. Love BA but doubt I'll fly them again.

TK has been making a major growth push and their new 777's are very nice.

Search this Thread