Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors: Double points in 2013 Q1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors: Double points in 2013 Q1

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2012, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I presume because they are given the option and it saves the hotel from the cost of paying out points for the promotion.

Whatever happened to consistency across the brand??
You cannot have it both ways. You can either have:

1. Promos (sometimes great) that are funded by the properties (eventually we as paying guests)

or

2. Promos that are funded purely by Hilton HHonors that would probably lead to hardly any promos
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by holtju2
You cannot have it both ways. You can either have:

1. Promos (sometimes great) that are funded by the properties (eventually we as paying guests)

or

2. Promos that are funded purely by Hilton HHonors that would probably lead to hardly any promos
I don't understand this post. Marriott's Megabonus promotions come out consistently, three times per year, like clockwork. Never an opt-out list. What is different about HHonors that precludes us from "having it both ways?"
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
I don't understand this post. Marriott's Megabonus promotions come out consistently, three times per year, like clockwork. Never an opt-out list. What is different about HHonors that precludes us from "having it both ways?"
Maybe Marriott has stricter franchise agreement that requires hotels to participate to all promotions?

Better Starwood promos also have a list of non-participating properties.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Whatever it is, it's getting out of hand. At this rate, it won't be long before a list of participating properties will be published instead of those which opt out.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Whatever it is, it's getting out of hand. At this rate, it won't be long before a list of participating properties will be published instead of those which opt out.
Solution is simple - support partcipating propertes, let non-participating properties know why they lost your business...
Old Dec 26, 2012, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
Solution is simple - support partcipating propertes, let non-participating properties know why they lost your business...
I do so, but I wouldn't call that a solution. In my experience, the properties that opt out appear to be the ones which are well enough occupied during the promotional period that they don't see the need to provide additional incentive to attract guests. To the extent that they plan to be fully booked at full price, telling them that they are losing potential business due to their decision not to participate is unlikely to change their behavior.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
I do so, but I wouldn't call that a solution. In my experience, the properties that opt out appear to be the ones which are well enough occupied during the promotional period that they don't see the need to provide additional incentive to attract guests. To the extent that they plan to be fully booked at full price, telling them that they are losing potential business due to their decision not to participate is unlikely to change their behavior.
Daddy although I agree with you it still frustrates me that the brand can't work out a solution.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
To be honest, the last couple of times I've stayed at opted-out joints, their rates were lower enough compared with the nearby alternatives, to make missing out on those points worth it.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 6:50 pm

Yes, it is frustrating enough to affect my stays in general, moving more to Marriott when I have the choice. It's worse than having no promo at all. As illogical as it is, it infuriates me to know I'm missing out on something.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:53 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, Marriott Bonvoy, IHG, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Why? Are promotions offered one of the qualities that we are supposed to look at when we stay at a hotel? I do not remember it on the TA checklist. Furthermore, should I rate Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental down because they don't offer a mileage promotion? Why stop there? I think every hotel should offer a free night after two stays. If not, then I should complain on TA, right? We should be grateful and thankful there are promotions at all.
It's a data point to consider. Quite frankly, a hotel opting out consistently(one offs like London Properties during Q3 12 are a sepcial case) begs the question, "if they cheap out on this, what else are they cheaping out on?" They will most certainly waive the HH banner in your face if they think it will get you in the door, but the moment HH is doing something more, then they say no, we're not paying for that?

And your straw man is a false analogy. You thinking every hotel should offer a free night after so many stays is far different from a program *with which the hotel is affiliated* offering some kind of incentive, but the property opts out. Yours is an opinion based on whatever, but is ultimately your opinion. I would hope the distinction is evident.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 4:40 pm

Quite a list of non-participating hotels.....including the Embassy Suites Pittsburgh International Airport......in CORVALIS, OREGON! :-)
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
If I bought an Any weekend rates, I will miss this promo, rite?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Wink

I appreciated seeing the list as i have several nights in Charleston coming up, I just changed to other Hilton owned properties.
I hope some Hilton big wigs read here and see that there must be many who will stay away from those who opt out.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Ugh. I sign up for the promo, it works, and I have every other week for the next 6 months in a hotel that doesn't use the promotion BAH Hilton Grand Rapids Airport!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Putra
If I bought an Any weekend rates, I will miss this promo, rite?
Hi,

AFAIK Any weekend rates also qualify for this promo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.