What is a Published rate?

Old Dec 16, 12, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P

While checking the Grand Wailea for some dates, I saw that one of the rates is called Published Rate. In the details of the rate there is no particular information on this rate. It is always about $250-300 more expensive than the Best Available Rate.

Anyone have more information on this? Has anyone noticed this rate at other hotels?
Old Dec 16, 12, 6:29 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by FlyinDutchman View Post
While checking the Grand Wailea for some dates, I saw that one of the rates is called Published Rate. In the details of the rate there is no particular information on this rate. It is always about $250-300 more expensive than the Best Available Rate.

Anyone have more information on this? Has anyone noticed this rate at other hotels?
It sounds like their full "rack rate". I think hotels must have a maximum rate they will charge for a room and have it posted/published somewhere. This is often the rate you will see on the back of the door in the room.
Old Dec 16, 12, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Some states & localities require properties to post and otherwise make available a rate which cannot be exceeded for a given room, thus it's called the "published" rate. In industry parlance it's the "rack" rate.

It's largely ficticious and used by properties for advertising (such as "50% off...."), but sometimes comes into play when there are penalties for award no-shows, late cancellations and the like.
Old Dec 16, 12, 8:14 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's usually considered to be the rate available to the public, and like a list price for many electronics it has no basis in reality.

As already mentioned, in some areas they are required to have a rate card in the room, with the maximum rate the hotel will charge somebody. It's supposed to keep people from being cheated, if they pay a thousand bucks for a room, but the rate card on the back of the door says that room has a maximum rate of seven hundred, they have a basis for a claim against the hotel with the state or local or whoever passed the laws.

Most hotels will have some insane rate as their published rate, but virtually nobody pays it. About the only time people actually believe it is if they get a free room or an upgrade, then all of a sudden when they tell the story about it they quote the published rate.

It's also known as the rack rate, or the full price rate. Many hotels use it as a marketing ploy to say you are getting a discount.

However, should a hotel not want to sell to a particular person or group, they can charge the insane rack rate (say dog owners coming with their dogs for a dog show in town) knowing most people won't pay it.
Old Dec 17, 12, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P

Thanks for the replies! Even though over time I've checked numerous Hilton hotels through their site, I've never come across this rate

Search this Thread