Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton at St George's Park, Burton Upon Trent {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton at St George's Park, Burton Upon Trent {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2019, 4:52 am

Hi Wizla
Yes that is the entrance. It isn't locked (i'm in here now at 11.45). Machines still turned off though. There is a similar door on the other side of the stairs near the kitchen entrance.

I agree on who would get access now. It was much quieter last night.

The old desk that was in the lounge has gone to be replaced with more chairs. We think there is actually more sitting space overall.
wizla likes this.

Last edited by Curly; Sep 28, 2019 at 8:55 am
Old Sep 29, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by Curly

Hi Wizla
Yes that is the entrance. It isn't locked (i'm in here now at 11.45). Machines still turned off though. There is a similar door on the other side of the stairs near the kitchen entrance.

I agree on who would get access now. It was much quieter last night.

The old desk that was in the lounge has gone to be replaced with more chairs. We think there is actually more sitting space overall.

Marvellous........ I’m guessing they had folk wandering up the staircase into the lounge from downstairs, I was also there one night when they opened up the room opposite where the old desk used to be and had that as an extension of the lounge as it was so busy, it worked but as it was so busy and noisy.
As I said earlier, a unique lounge here yet always good offerings, I’m glad you are having a good stay and enjoy reading your reports.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Staying here this weekend after a gap since our last visit. Having noticed the change in policy again earlier in the thread, are children still back to being allowed in the lounge?

Got our 4 year old with us who is well lounge trained, so I'm hoping the policy is back in place for this visit.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:23 am
cjd

Originally Posted by RAPC
Staying here this weekend after a gap since our last visit. Having noticed the change in policy again earlier in the thread, are children still back to being allowed in the lounge?

Got our 4 year old with us who is well lounge trained, so I'm hoping the policy is back in place for this visit.
Yes, children are now allowed back in the lounge. Enjoy your visit. Still one of our favourite Hiltons in the UK. Found out that they actually close the hotel completely for about a week when the England senior team are training at St Georges, usually prior to the England games.
RAPC and wizla like this.

Last edited by cjd; Sep 30, 2019 at 2:37 am
Old Sep 30, 2019, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by cjd
Yes, children are now allowed back in the lounge. Enjoy your visit. Still one of our favourite Hiltons in the UK. Found out that they actually close the hotel completely for about a week when the England senior team are training at St Georges, usually prior to the England games.
That's great news, thanks for confirming. It was always one of our favourites as well, but the shift in lounge policy knocked it down the pecking order a little bit.

I've been at the hotel when the U21s have been training, as well as some overseas teams. Looks like I won't be bumping in to Gareth Southgate and team though if they close it completely, which is understandable.
cjd likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 8:53 am

Quick update on COVID-19 era stays, as we did a 1 night stay here at the weekend.

Booked a cheap standard room a couple of months ago, but the hotel was actually quite busy over the weekend as there was a lot of football activity going on at the hotel. We were upgraded to a suite a week before arrival, which was nice as the hotel was busy.

Main changes at the moment are:

- The Exec Lounge is closed. We received a welcome bag (wine, soft drinks, water and a snack) at check in, along with drinks vouchers instead though.
- The restaurant is closed beyond breakfast. Food is served in the Crossbar instead and you need to book in for a reservation. Looked like the regular bar menu in operation, although you needed to scan a QR code to access it.
- There is a one way system in place in to and out of the Crossbar area.
- Breakfast is served in the restaurant and is well spaced out. Hot items are served to you at the regular place, the rest is self-service. There is a little less choice than previously, but on the whole it was still a decent spread.
- The pool and spa has limited capacity and you need to book in
- Because the pool is limited capacity, the hotel has set-up some gaming pods that can be booked in the conference area. Guests also have access to a sports pitch and a couple of other extras that they have put in place. I think this was mainly to be a bit more family friendly and offer a few additional things.
- There is a grab and go area by reception, with hot and cold drinks, light snacks etc. The coffee shop on the 1st floor appears to be closed, so I think it is replacing that.

The hotel seemed to be making a good effort to offer some additional services, as well as to keep as much open as possible whilst being COVID-19 safe.
chrism20, hugolover and wizla like this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 5:04 am
cjd

Had a 3 night stay a couple of weeks ago following the hotel closure for the England football team training there before their world cup qualifier games. Whenever the England team are training and staying there, the hotel is closed to the public. The hotel does not close when the England Under 21 team are training there and they were there for the duration of our stay and were always willing to have photos taken, much to the delight of our grandson. We had arranged to meet our son and family there for a birthday celebration on the first night of our stay. With having family there, we decided to book a suite and they booked a family room. Due to a covid outbreak with a couple of the under 21 team, which was reported in the Manchester Evening News, the hotel closed down part of the rooms and our suite was no longer available. We were actually downgraded to a King room. However, I can not fault the hotel, as they went out of their way to make up for this. They gave our son a free adjoining room to give them extra space, reduced the King room rate and offered to move us the second night of our stay into a suite on another floor. As we were out all of the second and third days, we decided to stay in the King room for the 3 nights rather than having to change rooms on our late return. They also gave us and our son, vouchers for free drinks.
We spent an hour in the pool on our Friday arrival day and this had to be booked by ringing the hotel spa at 8am on the day of arrival. These booking details were sent in a pre-arrival email. On the Saturday morning, my son went down to the pool for 8am and there was a queue of people wanting to book the pool. A slot was booked for 10am after breakfast. The phones did not appear to get answered with people turning up on site to book, so worth remembering to go down in person, especially at weekends.. The 3 grandchildren loved the pool and as they have restricted numbers, it was not too busy. Adults only can swim from 6am to 8am.
The evening dinner in the restaurant was a 3 course buffet for Ł19.95 and there was a good choice of steak, chicken, salmon etc and a childrens menu. Children under 12 ate free from either menu. Very enjoyable birthday evening with the family. Breakfast was back to normal and served in the restaurant. Hotel was busy at the weekend, but quite quiet for breakfast on the Monday morning.
The Executive Lounge is still closed, but they are giving Diamonds and those guests booking suites, a Ł15 credit per person per day to be used for drinks and/or food. Diamonds and Golds still get complimentary full breakfast. Thought Ł30 per couple per day was very fair way to compensate for no lounge. The Ł30 can not be rolled over each day so has to be used on the day. This amount was taken off the final bill.
Have stayed here many times and I still think this is one of the better UK Hiltons. The staff are so pleasant and go out of their way to please guests. Look forward to returning.
RAPC and wizla like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:01 am

Thanks for the update. Great to know about the credit in lieu of the lounge being open, as that sounds like a very fair compromise on their part.

Due to stay there again in a couple of months, but sounds like it is still being well run.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by RAPC
Thanks for the update. Great to know about the credit in lieu of the lounge being open, as that sounds like a very fair compromise on their part.

Due to stay there again in a couple of months, but sounds like it is still being well run.
I agree , that’s great compensation as lounge closed, I’ve always found this hotel to offer good value, a couple of years ago I booked two rooms @ Ł87 each, both upgraded to suites and also 4 drinks vouchers too.
One of my favourite little retreats.
RAPC likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 2:41 pm

Executive lounge is now open again.
cjd and adobbing like this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 2:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by wizla
Executive lounge is now open again.
Just steer clear of that Gluten free Peroni they try and foist out, taste like somebody has already drunk it…
Old Sep 25, 2021, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by adobbing
Just steer clear of that Gluten free Peroni they try and foist out, taste like somebody has already drunk it…
Ahhh, ok….will remember that
Old Sep 30, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cjd
Had a 3 night stay a couple of weeks ago following the hotel closure for the England football team training there before their world cup qualifier games. Whenever the England team are training and staying there, the hotel is closed to the public. The hotel does not close when the England Under 21 team are training there and they were there for the duration of our stay and were always willing to have photos taken, much to the delight of our grandson. .
Is the hotel big enough for the England senior team and England under 21 both to stay in the hotel as I was looking at the fixtures and see the Under 21 have home match in November as does the Senior Team so does that mean the hotel will be closed?
Old Sep 30, 2021, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by AbuCordoba
Is the hotel big enough for the England senior team and England under 21 both to stay in the hotel as I was looking at the fixtures and see the Under 21 have home match in November as does the Senior Team so does that mean the hotel will be closed?
Don’t know if it will close for security reasons but the hotel itself is huge!...I’m sure there’s no problem with space.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 4:31 am
cjd

Originally Posted by AbuCordoba
England Senior team has a Wembley game on 12 November. Looks like the hotel is closed from 7 November until 12 November. They don't actually state the hotel is closed, but that the hotel is sold out for those dates. England Under 21's play 11 November. Hotel definitely big enough to have both squads there at the same time.

Last edited by cjd; Oct 18, 2021 at 7:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.