Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sukhumvit Bangkok {THA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sukhumvit Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by gummibar
Doubletree Sukhumvit has got to be one of the friendliest and unpretentious place I have been. It is a very casual place where you can be yourself and nobody is going to judge you. I love the happy hour since it is free flow of drinks for Gold and Diamond members. They are really enthusiastic to serve you drinks and top up / refill any drinks that is half full...so much so that I suspect they have to reach some quota to "get rid" of their alcohol (i must have been thinking that when i was a little tipsy)...anyway...I will (and I am) be coming back to this place again and whenever my friends go BKK, I will always mention this lovely hotel! For price, location and service...it cannot be beaten!
I am with you 100% on this. I stayed there for 3 nights just before Christmas with my family. The service in reception and around the pool was fantastic. The staff couldn't do enough for us. They really went out of their way to assist with everything. I have now stayed at all of the Hilton's in Bangkok. While this is not the best property, the staff really do make up for it. And if you are staying on points, then it is generally the best value.

A thumbs up from me for the Doubletree Suk ^ ^
Old May 13, 2014, 7:11 am

I stayed here twice. I LOVE this property!
Old May 15, 2014, 2:11 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, UA IK
Just checked out. Left with nothing but good feelings for this nice little hotel. Staff was friendly and always helpful. The gym and pool were fine. Nice breakfast spread. Easy to walk out the back and past the Hilton to the Mall and BTS. I checked out the pool and gym at the Hilton and felt there was no real advantage to working out there.
Old May 18, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
It seems like reviews of this place have improved dramatically in the past year-- I just read this whole thread and there was little positive said in the first few months after it opened; now most reviews are saying it's a great place, and a great deal for Cash & Points.
Looking at staying here 5 nights in July, rates are THB2975, seems much lower than last year, based on what's being said in this thread.
Is the pool a place with sun part/most/all day?
Anyone know the cardo/weight equipment/brands?
Oh, and an opinion question--for an HHonors Gold:
Do you think it is it worth the extra $10+4,000 points per night more to do the Hilton Sukhumvit or Conrad?
I value gym, pool, breakfast, and Happy Hour. Not necessarily in that order.
Thanks!
Old May 18, 2014, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by kyushuman
It seems like reviews of this place have improved dramatically in the past year.

Do you think it is it worth the extra $10+4,000 points per night more to do the Hilton Sukhumvit or Conrad?
Thanks!
It has. The staff is now settled in and mostly very pleasant.

I don't use the pool, but think it faces southeast.
Not sure about the gym equipment brand, but it was one of the majors, good quality and decent range of weights for normal, non-muscle bound people.

The breakfast spread in the DT restaurant is substantially more extensive than in the Hilton Sukhumvit's lounge.

Happy hour at the DT is IIRC all you can drink, whereas the Hilton's has enough snacks for a light dinner.

Personally I stay at the Hilton when on business, and at the DT on leisure stays. I prefer the friendly staff, bathroom arrangement, and newness of the Hilton to the Conrad nowadays.

However for an overnight with the current 2/3/5k promotion for 1st/2nd/3rd 2014 Conrad stay, the Conrad becomes a great deal especially in July and August on points and money...
Old May 18, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by monahos
It has. The staff is now settled in and mostly very pleasant.

I don't use the pool, but think it faces southeast.
Not sure about the gym equipment brand, but it was one of the majors, good quality and decent range of weights for normal, non-muscle bound people.

The breakfast spread in the DT restaurant is substantially more extensive than in the Hilton Sukhumvit's lounge.

Happy hour at the DT is IIRC all you can drink, whereas the Hilton's has enough snacks for a light dinner.

Personally I stay at the Hilton when on business, and at the DT on leisure stays. I prefer the friendly staff, bathroom arrangement, and newness of the Hilton to the Conrad nowadays.

However for an overnight with the current 2/3/5k promotion for 1st/2nd/3rd 2014 Conrad stay, the Conrad becomes a great deal especially in July and August on points and money...
OK thanks for the comparison. I stayed several years ago at the Conrad and liked the gym and pool, and the Club Lounge was quite nice too I think. As a Gold, I wonder which of the 3 are most likely to treat me well?
Oh--So that Conrad promo gives you back points even on a C&P stay? Interesting!
Old May 18, 2014, 3:06 pm

I stayed several years ago at the Conrad and liked the gym and pool, and the Club Lounge was quite nice too I think. As a Gold, I wonder which of the 3 are most likely to treat me well?
Oh--So that Conrad promo gives you back points even on a C&P stay? Interesting!
I too thought that Conrad promo was only for fully paid stays, but I got the (unexpected but welcome) bonus on a C&P stay in Bangkok and a points stay on Samui this year.

The gym at the Conrad is certainly the best of the three, and the only 'full-service Asian style' one, with dressing rooms, showers, reception desk, adjacent spa etc. At the smaller Sukhumvit hotels, one - I think the DT - has a few bring-your-own-towel shower cabins, don't recall the other; the idea at both is to walk from your room to the gym in your training clothes, and take a shower in your room afterwards.

If sun is a priority, I suppose the Hilton's rooftop pool should get the most exposure.

The HH Gold treatment is very consistent at all three:
- DT: free breakfast, happy hour, internet, no room upgrade I could see except higher floor (only the lowest room category has no tub IIRC, and I never got one).
- Hilton: executive room with lounge access, breakfast in lounge, free internet.
- Conrad: as above. If you book a corner room, you'll get an exec corner room.

The Conrad lounge is large and posh, and food offerings have recovered from their low a few years ago, but I find the current lounge staff fairly cold, disinterested, and not particularly genuine. In the past its staff was particularly good IMHO.

The Hilton's lounge staff is at this point much warmer and welcoming, something I appreciate on longer stays; Lily the lounge manager is very open and reactive to constructive suggestions. It is also self-service, which I find more relaxing than the Conrad's more formal approach.

You can't go wrong with any of them really. On C&P I think they are all among the very best value in the system for their respective brands.
Old May 18, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: QF SG
It seems like reviews of this place have improved dramatically in the past year-- I just read this whole thread and there was little positive said in the first few months after it opened; now most reviews are saying it's a great place, and a great deal for Cash & Points.
Looking at staying here 5 nights in July, rates are THB2975, seems much lower than last year, based on what's being said in this thread.
Thanks!
From memory the pool had sun all day. I sed straight points and for 16k (5th night free) it was a fantastic deal. I have not stayed at the Hilton but I've checked out the pool and gym. I think the rooms might be a bit nicer and t has the lounge but in my view that doesn't justify the 50% points premium.

The happy hour by the pool is great and the breakfast more than adequate.
Old May 19, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, UA IK
Thanks!
If it were just$10+4000 points more, then I would stay at the Hilton Sukhumvit or Conrad. DT pool had sun most of the day and the water was very warm. I took a look at the Hilton Sukhumvit Exec Lounge, and it was awesome.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
I find very little that I like about this Hotel. With taxes I way paying $140 US and I expect more.

1. Started out bad at check in . Given the Doubletree Cookie and 10 minutes later in the room it was hard as a rock. I threw it in the garbage and believe me that is the first time I have not eaten the cookie.

2. Room is tiny for this supposed quality Hotel.

a. No closet just an open rack.
b. No useful mirror in the bedroom One stuck in corner behind chair totally useless. Can't imagine women liking that.
c. Work desk is a small round table. Barely adequate to work on but if you order room service , you would have to remove all your computers etc first.
d.Limited selection of channels on TV. No DVD
e. Bathroom has no mirrior in front of sink. Ridiculous you must squeeze over between toilet and counter to use mirror for shaving . Again women will hate it.

An architect with a brain would have put a mirror on the sliding wall so when it was closed there would be a mirror over the sink. Barring that a shaving mirror should be provided.
f. Breakfast Buffet was adequate at best. Bacon had been rewarmed so many times it was inedible. I ordered bacon and cheese omlette. I received a plain omlette.
Bread, cereal and juice choices were good. I get better fruit on the street for 10 baht. No watermelon on a Buffet in Thailand? Ridiculous.

Yes the staff is very nice but that is given in most Hotels in Thailand. The WiFi in the room is very strong and fast. The pool looks very inviting and the small gym more then adequate.

I am a Diamond and hopefully they have only one size room because if that is an upgraded room, I would hate to see the standard. Yes I was on the Top Floor but the view was nothing special.

Oh and the entire corridor had newspapers left on their door except me. Maybe they forgot to ask me at check in if I would like a daily paper.

Thankfully I only spend one night here and will try the Hilton Sukhumvit tonight which I hope is better.

In this price range there are much better choices with Marriott, SPG and Carlson.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by kapkap46
I find very little that I like about this Hotel. With taxes I way paying $140 US and I expect more.
Wow, sorry for the bad experience. I was 'upgraded' to a corner room on my stay (HH Gold) and experienced NONE of the problems that you encountered.

I would definitely stay again, especially as the cash+points rate of 1244 thb + 8,000 points is a bargain, IMO.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Next night I was in the Hilton next door review to follow on appropriate thread.

It is the difference of night and day. Everything I complained about in the Doubletree room is the opposite in the Hilton. Not to mention a fabulous Executive Lounge.

Points and cash rate is $10US and 4000 points more . Not even a close call for me!!

I would be interested to hear if your room did not have the numerous minuses that I listed.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Next night I was in the Hilton next door review to follow on appropriate thread.

It is the difference of night and day. Everything I complained about in the Doubletree room is the opposite in the Hilton. Not to mention a fabulous Executive Lounge.

Points and cash rate is $10US and 4000 points more . Not even a close call for me!!

I would be interested to hear if your room did not have the numerous minuses that I listed.
Two of your five room "minuses" were about mirrors. Really? Mirrors? That's just not a big deal for me.

Pretty sure I had a closet since I hung up my shirts. I had a comfortable chair with ottoman to watch TV. I went over to the Big C market a couple of times and constructed a large salad from the salad bar for lunch with some bacon naan bread (yum) - brought it back to the room and ate those lunches at the work desk and didn't find it necessary to move everything off the desk to eat there.

There was watermelon at the buffet breakfast and the bacon was crispy, just how I like it. I ordered a cheese omelet and got a cheese omelet.

To each his own, I suppose. Like I said, sorry for the bad experience and sounds like you had a stay more to your liking at the Hilton Suk. I'll check that place out some time myself.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Jul 13, 2014 at 7:22 am
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
In this price range there are much better choices with Marriott, SPG and Carlson.
Well, the standard rooms are indeed very tiny, but if you book a suite for 32k points or even less, that's imho a great value
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Two of your five room "minuses" were about mirrors. Really? Mirrors? That's just not a big deal for me.

Pretty sure I had a closet since I hung up my shirts. I had a comfortable chair with ottoman to watch TV. I went over to the Big C market a couple of times and constructed a large salad from the salad bar for lunch with some bacon naan bread (yum) - brought it back to the room and ate those lunches at the work desk and didn't find it necessary to move everything off the desk to eat there.

There was watermelon at the buffet breakfast and the bacon was crispy, just how I like it. I ordered a cheese omelet and got a cheese omelet.

To each his own, I suppose. Like I said, sorry for the bad experience and sounds like you had a stay more to your liking at the Hilton Suk. I'll check that place out some time myself.
But OP obviously got a very small basic room as a Diamond. During a period of extremely low occupancy. I appreciate his report, it does not reflect well on this property, and that is useful information.

The fact that you had a different experience is not a "to each his own" situation - as that suggests his complaints are purely subjective - this is a "YMMV" and that is good to know when choosing hotels in a city like Bangkok where there are so many good choices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.