Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok {THA}

Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:58 am

Had a disappointing stay at the Hilton Sukhumvit as a HH Diamond.

I've booked a King Deluxe Premium room for 4 nights. It was for a stay of 3 nights and 1 additional night for late check out, as I know that Hilton properties are stingy about real late check-outs.

I was asked for my flight's arrival time before by email, which was 12:30pm. My plane was late and the traffic was horrible, so I arrived the hotel a few minutes before 3pm, which is the official check-in time. They told me, that my room wasn't ready and that I should wait at the executive lounge. I asked, which room I have to wait for and they told me, that they don't have an upgrade available, so it's the room I've booked. By the way: I could see available better rooms in the booking app, so it was not only a lie, but also a break of the HHonor rules. I said, that it is OK to wait for an upgraded room, but that I want to have my booked room at 3pm, especially as they took noticed of my early arrival time before. They insist, that they have no room to upgrade.

After waiting short time in the executive lounge, they handed me the cards for my room. It was another than they gave me at check-in. Entering the room, I was very very cold. I know and respect, that people from some other nations love the aircon as cold as possible. But I belong to the kind of people, who don't believe much in a freezing aircon. Actually I sometimes get a bit sick of that as I'm not really used to having temperature changes of more than 15 degrees. And the freezing room was more surprising as the temperature of the aircon was automatically resetted to 20°C when leaving the room. 20°C is cold, but not freezing.

I took a shower and when I returned later, I could see, that the toilet of the room was clogged and some used toilet water was on the toilet floor. The toilet was obviously already clogged before they gave the room to me. I've called the 'Magic service' and they send a technician quite fast who fixed it fast. To clean up the smelling toilet, they send a housekeeping guy with a shower towel to dry up the floor. I was surprised as I was expecting someone with a mop and hot soapy water. A few minutes later I got a call from the 'Magic service' and got asked, if everything is ok. I answered, that the issue is fixed, but that I would prefer a better cleaning. After some polite talking I got told, that she will 'discuss my feedback with colleagues'.

The next morning I got woken up by the alarm clock at 6:30am. The alarm wasn't set or activated by myself. Actually I expect, that the alarm clock is checked by the staff and set off before they give me the room.

I wrote a message to the Director of rooms, he had a free weekend. When he returned, he tried to call me. Well, I was sleeping in my room at that time, having the 'do not disturb' sign on. OK, it was 11:50 am and that it's maybe a time, when you can call. But I always try to stay in my European time to avoid jet lag on my short stays. Btw: That works fine. So it was 06:50am for me and that is not the time I wanted to get woken up. At an international business hotel they should expect people who are able to handle their jet lag in a good way and respect the 'do not disturb' sign from my point of view.

The Director of rooms said, that he wanted to meet me in person prior I'm checking out. But he didn't showed up. Maybe because I answered, that I will not come back to his hotel again. But I was expecting an excuse from someone else than the check-out staff. Excuses at the check-out are not really meant anyway. Well, I didn't get one. Their treatment of me - which was inacceptable for every guest - seems to be normal even for Diamond members, who stay 40-50 nights in Bangkok every year for years already.

The check-out staff offered me a compensation. I refused as I had the strong feeling that they didn't really mean it. Maybe because they obviously lied at me before.
NoY, Kalboz and UASPG like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:26 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by thbe
Had a disappointing stay at the Hilton Sukhumvit as a HH Diamond.
Sorry to hear, but thanks for relaying your feedback. I had a good stay last time but I am not a regular at this property so in light of your review, there are too many good hotels in Bangkok that I am probably better off staying elsewhere for the time being.
UASPG and thbe like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: hh Diamond,Marriott plat, ihg spire
Originally Posted by escape4
Sorry to hear, but thanks for relaying your feedback. I had a good stay last time but I am not a regular at this property so in light of your review, there are too many good hotels in Bangkok that I am probably better off staying elsewhere for the time being.
There are definitely better hotels in Bangkok at that price range. I last stayed here 2 yrs ago which was my 2nd and last stay ever at this particular Hilton. I was Diamond then and it was like pulling teeth without anaesthesia to get any late checkout beyond 1 pm. Grudgingly managed to get 2 pm on one occasion and a flat out no on the other. With me not really needing the exec lounge, there are better options at better price points with better elite treatment out there.
UASPG likes this.

Last edited by asian_journeyman; Aug 7, 2019 at 8:33 am Reason: Spelling error
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:57 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Had a 3 night stay here - not good at all.

Booked King Deluxe, pre-upgraded to King Premium Executive, & offered King Junior Suite for 700THB/night, which I took. Room fine, good layout.

Between Noon-4pm loud drilling/banging/maintenance from adjacent room. After complaining was told would happen everyday of my stay. Why put me there in first place?!
Was offered Smoking King (No!) Std King (No!) or Twin Junior Suite (No!).
Eventually offered King Executive Suite. Great, erm.....oh dear, very noisy right opposite lift lobby & exacerbated by connecting/adjoining door to next room & very loud, noisy neighbours - no peace fo me.

The condition of the Suite was pretty bad. Chipped, stained furniture, less-than-clean shower - not good.

The Executive Lounge was badly managed IMHO, tables cleared (slowly) & not wiped down, meant dirty, sticky surfaces. Slow replenishment of food, which was swiftly consumed, by the locust-like guests. The design of the food servery area meant congestion was inevitable. Food not replenished after 7pm which meant very very, very slim pickings if arriving after that time. Staff (upon my request) point blank refused to replenish food at 7.10pm as evening session finished at 7.30pm. Sigh.

I will not be returning

Last edited by NoY; Aug 7, 2019 at 9:28 pm Reason: added pics
Old Nov 27, 2019, 10:54 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Just got out of a 5 nights stay.
The good:
- Upgraded from the basic Premium King to ŕ Executive King, so ŕ double upgrade
- Room perfectly fine, what I expected
- Good housekeeping staff, generous with bottle water, nicely tidying my stuff behind me
- Staff good in general
- Good car service to the airport (had an early departure, I took public transport on arrival)
- Location is good, area not “sexpat” if you stay on soi 24 (sub soi are less family friendly), easy access to BTS although there was some work on the sidewalk nearby

The OK
- breakfast not great, although attentive service in lounge (same buffet as the restaurant)

The bad:
- generic HILTON, a bit soulless
Old Nov 28, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Just got out of a 5 nights stay.
The good:
- Upgraded from the basic Premium King to ŕ Executive King, so ŕ double upgrade
- Room perfectly fine, what I expected
- Good housekeeping staff, generous with bottle water, nicely tidying my stuff behind me
- Staff good in general
- Good car service to the airport (had an early departure, I took public transport on arrival)
- Location is good, area not “sexpat” if you stay on soi 24 (sub soi are less family friendly), easy access to BTS although there was some work on the sidewalk nearby

The OK
- breakfast not great, although attentive service in lounge (same buffet as the restaurant)

The bad:
- generic HILTON, a bit soulless
Only been there once for a few days, but really enjoyed the special breakfast drink with some sort of soft candies in it served for Hilton Diamonds. Do they still do this?
Old Nov 28, 2019, 7:36 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
They did not for me, but at the same time I was still Gold during this stay (this stay is the one who put me to Diamond).
teemuflyer likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Only been there once for a few days, but really enjoyed the special breakfast drink with some sort of soft candies in it served for Hilton Diamonds. Do they still do this?
I was there 2 months ago. There was no special drink for Diamonds offered. We had a window table which had a sign saying reserved for diamonds.
teemuflyer likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Good: Lounge evening spread. Enough food and variety to feed you. Location: closest Hilton to the BTS skytrain

OK: Rooms functional albeit slightly small

Not so good: the Hampton Inn lobby
Old Nov 29, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, BAEC Gold
Stayed for 5 nights earlier this month as a Diamond, would not stay again.

No staff at entrance to help with bags, or even open the door. Room was tatty and damaged. Pool area is poorly designed, gym looks directly over it which may be uncomfortable for some, loungers are in a fixed position. Lounge, although well stocked was very busy on weekend nights with big groups and i was told to head back to room for a call when space became available.

On a positive note, the location is excellent and the breakfast is good.

I think my biggest issue is how poor the overall standard of the hotel was in a city that is famous for excellent hotels in the same price range, i felt like i had instantly made a mistake after a few hours in the property.
NoY, Kalboz, UASPG and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:05 am

Spent 10 nights here this month as a Diamond. No upgrade offered when inquired due to holiday season.
Unlike the poster above, I found the room fine and in good condition.

Executive lounge evening food is one of the worst I have encountered in Asia. Some of the items I found most appalling were chicken nuggets, french fries, mini sandwiches, and mini chicken burgers,

Breakfast was pretty good with beetroot salmon offered as well as an made to order egg station.
Would not stay here again.
NoY likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Also stayed over new year here and also no upgrade offered due to the busy period. However, was offered a the minibar for free, so that was a nice touch. Also found the room to be of a high standard, so no complaints.

As for the executive lounge, we were travelling with 2 kids, aged 6 and 9, so while I was surprised to see Chicken nuggets, fries, mini burgers and pizza for the evening spread, our kids were over the moon and rate it as the best lounge in the world!
zzap likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:54 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Just had a 4 night stay at this property. The location is fairly convenient as it is close to the BTS and 2 shopping malls.

I was upgraded to a suite, which has been my standard in Bangkok for a very long time, but from what I understand, it is not obvious at this hotel as I was told they had a limited number of them.

I was surprised by the quality of the food of the breakfast in the main restaurant. The staff is another story (they don't seem too much motivated and most have their mobile phones visible in their pockets), but a few are pro-actively helpful.

The staff level is not the best at this Hilton, besides a few that I interacted with (restaurant, lounge, front office & cleaning ladies), but I am wondering what is the responsibility of the management in this situation. The management seems to be the stay in office type. I only saw them once, all aligned, waiting for some VIP.

I had a repeated issue with the cleaning services (I don't think that I have experienced such a poor service in the past in the city: opening the door right after ringing the bell, not picking up plate of the amenity cake during the 2 services of the day, same with the coffee cup, talking loud among themselves in the room in the presence of the guest, unable to operate and service the air purifier, not trained to use the coffee machines either, not refilling the coffee capsules, etc...) and asked to speak to the Manager on duty, Khun Nunt. This lady was pretty dismissive, reciting the standard lines. She obviously did not do much about the issue and did not bother to even send an apology note to the room. It seems strange that she is the Guest Experience Manager as it appears that she does not to have the necessary aptitudes for that position. Based upon the few things that she told me and asked the front office staff to convey, I am not sure that she can trusted.
The highlight of my second conversation with her: after checking several times on her screen, she said "What I can do for you is a 2pm check out" when I was already given that check out time, during my checked in process. How generous!

I don't think that I'll be back, but I'll miss the food served during breakfast.
NoY, Kalboz, remymartin and 2 others like this.

Last edited by UASPG; Feb 10, 2020 at 5:20 am
Old Mar 2, 2020, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by UASPG
Just had a 4 night stay at this property. The location is fairly convenient as it is close to the BTS and 2 shopping malls.

I was upgraded to a suite, which has been my standard in Bangkok for a very long time, but from what I understand, it is not obvious at this hotel as I was told they had a limited number of them.

I was surprised by the quality of the food of the breakfast in the main restaurant. The staff is another story (they don't seem too much motivated and most have their mobile phones visible in their pockets), but a few are pro-actively helpful.

The staff level is not the best at this Hilton, besides a few that I interacted with (restaurant, lounge, front office & cleaning ladies), but I am wondering what is the responsibility of the management in this situation. The management seems to be the stay in office type. I only saw them once, all aligned, waiting for some VIP.

I had a repeated issue with the cleaning services (I don't think that I have experienced such a poor service in the past in the city: opening the door right after ringing the bell, not picking up plate of the amenity cake during the 2 services of the day, same with the coffee cup, talking loud among themselves in the room in the presence of the guest, unable to operate and service the air purifier, not trained to use the coffee machines either, not refilling the coffee capsules, etc...) and asked to speak to the Manager on duty, Khun Nunt. This lady was pretty dismissive, reciting the standard lines. She obviously did not do much about the issue and did not bother to even send an apology note to the room. It seems strange that she is the Guest Experience Manager as it appears that she does not to have the necessary aptitudes for that position. Based upon the few things that she told me and asked the front office staff to convey, I am not sure that she can trusted.
The highlight of my second conversation with her: after checking several times on her screen, she said "What I can do for you is a 2pm check out" when I was already given that check out time, during my checked in process. How generous!

I don't think that I'll be back, but I'll miss the food served during breakfast.
Was the breakfast served at the restaurant free for Diamonds?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:40 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond, SPG Gold
Yes. It is free for Gold and Diamond.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.