Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do I need to book from Hilton website to enjoy Gold benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I need to book from Hilton website to enjoy Gold benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Must book from Hilton website to enjoy Gold benefits?

Hi, I have Hilton gold status which comes with free breakfast and free internet etc. Do I have to book through Hilton website to enjoy these stay benefits, or can I book through some third party discount rate and still be able to get those benefits?

Last edited by 513263337; Oct 9, 2012 at 10:57 pm
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:31 am

Programs: Air France/KLM FB-GOLD, Ethiad Guests GOLD, HHonors DIAMOND, Lufthansa Miles&More
Last time I booked via tour operator a Hilton property (2011) I got the Gold benefits, Free Internet, Free breakfast and even an upgraded room. Please note: No stay, nights or points into your personal account
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by 513263337
Hi, I have Hilton gold status which comes with free breakfast and free internet etc. Do I have to book through Hilton website to enjoy these stay benefits, or can I book through some third party discount rate and still be able to get those benefits?
It depends. Hilton T&C specifically exclude opaque sites (hotwire priceline, etc) from getting any VIP benefits. The third party sites where you know you are booking a Hilton are a gray area. They are not specifically excluded but they are also not included. If you get the Gold benefits, great, but you are NOT entitled to them either.

The only way to guarantee the Gold benefits is book thru a Hilton portal.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
It depends. Hilton T&C specifically exclude opaque sites (hotwire priceline, etc) from getting any VIP benefits. The third party sites where you know you are booking a Hilton are a gray area. They are not specifically excluded but they are also not included. If you get the Gold benefits, great, but you are NOT entitled to them either.

The only way to guarantee the Gold benefits is book thru a Hilton portal.
You seem to be saying that things like Priceline "Name Your Own Price" is explicitly excluded, but Priceline booking Hilton directly is a grey area. I'm wondering, since both methods are booked through Priceline, can the hotel check-in reception even see the difference?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:02 am
Original Poster

And, where's that T&C that specifically excludes opaque sites? I can't find it.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:15 am
wcj

Welcome to FT.

T & C can be found here http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/terms/index.html

Contained therein is the outlined benefits of:

2.Gold Elite Members will receive the following during stays as a registered Gold Elite Member:

Up in subpart 3 of accrual, you will find the definition of stay, which specifically excludes opaque site bookings.

I havent booked priceline hotels in quite some time, but the last time I did, it was written at the top of my folio under rate type, so the front desk most definitely knew where I had booked the hotel.

YMMV.

Last edited by wcj; Oct 10, 2012 at 7:20 am Reason: additional info.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:23 am

And, where's that T&C that specifically excludes opaque sites? I can't find it.
Directly quoted from the T&C.

A "stay" is defined as the total number of consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, whether or not a guest checks out and checks back in again. Specifically excluded from the definition of "stay" are the following types of ineligible stays: wholesale/tour operator packages; contracted crew rates; travel agency discount rates; Team Member Travel rates, Hilton Family Travel Rates; stays secured utilizing Hilton Grand Vacations Club and Hilton Club timeshare programs, Hilton Grand Vacations marketing packages with a sales presentation requirement; complimentary or barter rooms; Reward Stays (as defined herein); NET Group rates; Series Group or IT Group rates; contracted Entertainment or Encore rates; third party websites bookings (irrespective of rate paid); and "opaque" channel bookings where the brand may or may not be known at the time of purchase. HHonors Points may not be earned (including as a My Way benefit) for or during ineligible stays, including without limitation, folio charges incurred during ineligible stays. If at least one night of the Member's stay is consumed with the use of HHonors Rewards Points, the entire stay is considered a "Reward Stay" and no HHonors Points may be earned, except that if Member is using Room Upgrade Rewards, any money spent on the original reservation will earn points and/or miles consistent with these Terms. Participating hotel will determine whether incidental charges incurred during either or those stays are eligible for points, except that Points will not be earned for incidental charges at Hampton Inn®, Hampton Inn & Suites®, Homewood Suites by Hilton®, and Home2 Suites by Hilton®.

There also many many threads about priceline and opaque booking sites if you do a search.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:29 am

You seem to be saying that things like Priceline "Name Your Own Price" is explicitly excluded, but Priceline booking Hilton directly is a grey area. I'm wondering, since both methods are booked through Priceline, can the hotel check-in reception even see the difference?
They most definitely can see a difference. When you check in, the price you paid and the channel used, e.g., blind bid, are all there for the CSR to see. The last time I used a priceline blind bid, the CSR informed me that I wouldn't get Diamond benefits because of my method of booking the room. But I had gotten such a discount, the money saved more than made up for the loss of benefits.

Also be aware, there have been multiple reports of the blind bid resulting in a not-so-great room. As you won't get benefits, you won't get any complimentary upgrade. However, I believe you can still upgrade for a price

Last edited by travelinfoo; Oct 10, 2012 at 7:39 am
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:35 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The one time I've booked from a non-HHonors site, my reservation showed up in my HHonors account, I got upgraded, and after emailing the Diamond desk they gave me the stay/night credit despite the clear T&Cs re.

But I wouldn't count on it.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
But I wouldn't count on it.
+1^^
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:32 am

quite often the hilton advanced purchase rates are the same or very similar to the 3rd party sites and you get your points/stay credit and all your tier status benefits.just something to consider for future purposes.

However, advanced purchase is non refundable and charges your card at the time of confirmation (just like the 3rd party sites).
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:38 am

MMHV

Based on my limited experience as a gold this year (6 stays in different cities/properties, 54 nights), I can say that I always received breakfast and free internet, and *almost* always get the points/miles/stay credit. The one exception: booked through priceline. Front desk made a point of noting that when I check in and rec'd no argument from me.

So there's a data point for ya.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Yes, they can see it from the computers what rate code you booked it.

The rate code that you booked contain letters and numbers for them to identify the sources where you book, adv.rate, corporate rate, employee rate, airline rate, etc.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:32 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If your stay is described in the terms as one of the ones that is not eligible for credit, then don't plan on getting any benefits.

If the hotel offers you benefits, happily accept them and thank them for being generous. If they do not they were simply following the guidelines.

Yes, they can tell if your reservation is eligible or not.

There's no standard if they will or won't, some hotels will and some won't.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys for the clarification. However, I don't think the "stay" definition in the T&C is applicable for gold benefits.

Quoted directly from the T&C:

Accrual of Points

3. A "stay" is defined as ...
See? The "stay" definition is under the section "Accrual of Points", where it defines what stays are eligible stays for earning points purposes. The silver/gold/diamond benefits are under a completely separate section "Hilton HHonors Membership Tiers".

If they wanted to mean that those member benefits are only for "eligible" stays, then they should have put the stay definition in the "General" section. No?

So, conclusion, I guess after all it's a YMMV situation, subject to each hotel discretion / interpretation.

Last edited by 513263337; Oct 10, 2012 at 11:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.