Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Repeatedly screwed by HH Customer Care

Old Aug 28, 12, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

I had a worst experienced ever ........
We had a reservation for 2 nights point and 1 night pay for Hampton-inn. I requested to change to DoubleTree.
HHResv. rep. canceled Hampton reservation and tried to make DoubleTree reservation, could not do it. I was optimistic, OK, I requested reinstating the prior reservation. HHResrv. rep. told me she can not make same reservation any longer I have NOTHING !!
I was transferred to HHCC and explained the situation. Because high demand of DoubleTree, I could not do the 2 nights point and 1 night pay, I can do either streight purchase or awarded stay. I decided to purchase extra points to make awarded stay for 3 night. I was offered & agreed to pay $700 for 70,000 point so that I could make a reservation.
However, when I see the confirmation for CC charge -- $1,300. I immediately contact HHCC, she told me she will refund of $600. Later on, HHCC emailed me explained the rule for over 40,000 point purchase. Basically, she can not honor what she offered. I was so annoyed , I was not only got screwed one time but twice. I have NOTHING AGAIN.
I asked other HHCC to forward my email explaining what happened to their Manager what happened. I am waiting for their reply. (keep you posted)

Any suggestion what else should I do ??
Old Aug 28, 12, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
That sounds like bad customer service but never, ever cancel a reservation unless you have booked another one first.
And I would keep badgering them until they fix it.
Old Aug 28, 12, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Do you have any experiences that you have to contact their Manager in past ? I was wondering if their Manager takes this kind of matter seriously ??
Old Aug 28, 12, 5:43 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
A couple of things

1) You cancelled a reservation before you had the new one confirmed. As others have said, this is not a good idea.

2) You agreed to buy 70,000 points for $700. Do you have the name, date etc of the person you spoke to who offered this? Otherwise it is just your word against theirs.

3) This is a Hilton Honors issue , it sounds like, not the hotel.

4) You can email your problem to

[email protected]

but I would ask someone to proofread your email before you send it. Your post is very confusing and hard to read.

good luck
Old Aug 28, 12, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Hi squeakr,
1) Because I didn't have remaining points to play with. So, Reserv. Rep needed to cancel it to play round with new reservation.
2) Yep, I have an email to back up.
4) What does [email protected] do ???
Sorry, English is my second language and I was furious.
Old Aug 28, 12, 7:44 pm

I'm not squeakr, but [email protected] tries to help flyertalkers that have a Hilton Honors issue.
Old Aug 28, 12, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OB one View Post
That sounds like bad customer service but never, ever cancel a reservation unless you have booked another one first.
And I would keep badgering them until they fix it.
Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
1) You cancelled a reservation before you had the new one confirmed. As others have said, this is not a good idea.
This. Good luck OP.
Old Aug 28, 12, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by sunsun View Post
I had a worst experienced ever ........
We had a reservation for 2 nights point and 1 night pay for Hampton-inn. I requested to change to DoubleTree.
HHResv. rep. canceled Hampton reservation and tried to make DoubleTree reservation, could not do it. I was optimistic, OK, I requested reinstating the prior reservation. HHResrv. rep. told me she can not make same reservation any longer I have NOTHING !!
I was transferred to HHCC and explained the situation. Because high demand of DoubleTree, I could not do the 2 nights point and 1 night pay, I can do either streight purchase or awarded stay. I decided to purchase extra points to make awarded stay for 3 night. I was offered & agreed to pay $700 for 70,000 point so that I could make a reservation.
However, when I see the confirmation for CC charge -- $1,300. I immediately contact HHCC, she told me she will refund of $600. Later on, HHCC emailed me explained the rule for over 40,000 point purchase. Basically, she can not honor what she offered. I was so annoyed , I was not only got screwed one time but twice. I have NOTHING AGAIN.
I asked other HHCC to forward my email explaining what happened to their Manager what happened. I am waiting for their reply. (keep you posted)

Any suggestion what else should I do ??
You need to call back and ask for a supervisor asap.

A supervisor may be able to help you reinstate your original reservation or help you with the point purchase for the other stay (whichever needs to be done).

I would not email, I would call hhonors and ask for a supervisor directly and explain your situation.

The first reservation should not have been cancelled before at least checking the availability of your second choice. If the availability was there for your second request, then the first reward reservation should have been cancelled.

It sounds like an error on the agents part and a supervisor will likely help you fix the issue.
Old Aug 29, 12, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Emerald Club, Amtrak
I cannot count how many times HHonors customer service has come through in the same situation ... I need to make a change but lack the points to book the new rez until the old points rez is cancelled and refunded. Not sure how they do it, but without exception, when I explain the problem clearly, they have taken care of it. 'Course, I am talking to the Diamond Desk and being polite and grateful in the extreme.
Old Aug 29, 12, 1:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Silver, Marriott Platinum, TK Gold
When you exchange one to one (i.e., the same number of points) they only need to cancel your reservation not the certificate associated with the award it and can apply the certificate to a new reservation (analogy - when you book a night with a free night certificate and you have to change - you don't get a new certificate just a new reservation). I'm not sure if their system is smart enough to catch "double booking" for the same certificate in real time - this is one way a proactive agent to solve the problem.
Old Aug 29, 12, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If they don't have some available who speaks your first language, I would have the telephone call handled by someone who has English as their first language and have you on the phone with them.

It's not a criticism of you, I would be in the same spot in many countries, but it's hard to understand the situation the way you wrote it and that works against you.
Old Aug 29, 12, 4:14 pm

Programs: A few
I think you need to calm down a bit and think through your options. You can keep kicking this up the ladder to a higher manager or you can just take it in stride. Is there any other properties (HH) that you can be booked into?

I have 25k points you can have if you can use them as I will not being using HH any longer.
Old Aug 29, 12, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone.
Thank you so much for your suggestions. Especially, eyezon for your
generous offer.

I am calm down now and decided to call HHCC again.
My status was - got still charged $1,300, no reservation, and got my point back from prior to 70,000 point purchase.
Rep. (difference one from yesterday) was nice and very apologetic what happened. My case is still open, I can not get my $1,300 back for 1 week or so. But, I was sort of feel good that she acknowledged my email and it is under management review.
Since I got my old points back, I decided to make a reservation elsewhere for back up plan. And, I was able to make a reservation for same Hampton-inn.

I will keep you post what management would say.
Old Aug 30, 12, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Oops, never mind, misinterpreted OP.

Mike
Old Aug 30, 12, 3:18 pm

Programs: A few
Great to hear. I hope they take care of you... especially charging you for more then you agreed to. If the one week passes and you are still charged I feel you should charge it back via your credit card.

Originally Posted by sunsun View Post
Hi everyone.
Thank you so much for your suggestions. Especially, eyezon for your
generous offer.

I am calm down now and decided to call HHCC again.
My status was - got still charged $1,300, no reservation, and got my point back from prior to 70,000 point purchase.
Rep. (difference one from yesterday) was nice and very apologetic what happened. My case is still open, I can not get my $1,300 back for 1 week or so. But, I was sort of feel good that she acknowledged my email and it is under management review.
Since I got my old points back, I decided to make a reservation elsewhere for back up plan. And, I was able to make a reservation for same Hampton-inn.

I will keep you post what management would say.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: