FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Marble Arch {GBR} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1372682-doubletree-hilton-hotel-london-marble-arch-gbr.html)

pauleeepaul Aug 1, 2012 1:51 am

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Marble Arch {GBR}

Came across this whilst looking for a place for some visitor overflow to stay. Opening Oct 2012. From the map it looks like it will be a reincarnation of the Thistle or the Best Western. ^

Land-of-Miles Aug 1, 2012 6:03 am

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul (Post 19038344)
Came across this whilst looking for a place for some visitor overflow to stay. Opening Oct 2012. From the map it looks like it will be a reincarnation of the Thistle or the Best Western. ^

The Thistle Marble Arch fronts onto Oxford Street so I don't thinks it is that property since the DT appears to be on Portman Square. That is a good location though if the proprty is up to scratch.

colpuck Aug 1, 2012 8:56 am

The hotel was the Best Western Premier Mostyn Hotel

Currently it is rated 132 on tripadvisor. It looks like the hotel does a decent job responding to complaints on tripadvisor.

Dan72 Aug 1, 2012 9:00 am

It's the BEST WESTERN PREMIER Mostyn Hotel

colpuck Aug 1, 2012 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Dan72 (Post 19039889)

beaten like a horse sir. :p;)

pauleeepaul Oct 27, 2012 9:41 am

Mission accomplished.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...doubletree.jpg

Banie Nov 29, 2012 10:55 am

Any feedback on this property yet?

rooivalk Jan 9, 2013 8:12 am

anyone stayed here yet..?

jonnny Feb 7, 2013 9:52 am

Hi,

Stayed here recently 2 stays - here are my thoughts.

Stayed 3 nights on points + cash and got upgraded to the Hanover Suite. The room had two floors (living room first floor, bedroom second floor) with two bathrooms. First floor was a little chilly as hot air went upstairs to the bedroom.

Room had two empty mini fridges and some wasted space - such as a walk-in closet next to bed with no hangars / shelves.

second stay upgraded to a junior suite. Also two floors with spiral staircase.

Staff friendly, building older but clean, street entrance not inspiring (sort of like a three star hotel). Lots of long narrow corridors and small lifts.

Internet currently free for all and worked.

Breakfast was uninspiring and £4 to add hot items to diamond breakfast.

There is a very nice restaurant in the hotel called Texture - expensive but quality.

Near Marble Arch Tube.

Not a luxury property (though was very happy to be finally upgraded to a suite), currently inexpensive and ticked all my boxes for this business trip (not as nice as West End or Carnaby Street).

J

BotB Feb 7, 2013 2:42 pm

Thanks for posting that review jonnny. Much appreciated. ^

Have thought about staying here...hmmmn...maybe will wait to hear more about what others experienced before giving it a go.

Might I ask if you received any diamond welcome gift or bottled water/other drinks in the room?

How was the noise level in the rooms?

Thanks in advance. ^

jonnny Feb 8, 2013 8:47 am

Property not bad just not luxurious (basically a Doubletree in an older building).

On my first stay there were 2 bottles of water - not sure if that is a diamond perk but was not charged for them.

On my second stay there was a simple fruit plate which I always appreciate when looking for a snack - especially as no stocked mini-bar in both rooms.

As for noise - there were some minor vibrations during the day in the Hanover suite which is adjacent to the main road but didn't bother me. Junior suite was quiet as facing away from street.

J

Prairieeast Aug 13, 2014 12:38 pm

Any more recent reviews?

Does this property have an Executive Lounge? How does it compare to the Hilton Metropole?

Thanks.

eleventy Jul 1, 2015 6:05 pm

I stayed here last week. They stay itself was pleasant enough. I'm a total noob at Hilton properties and London. The building is kind of old, and it shows particularly badly in the carpet. The desk and chair were in pretty rough shape. The bathroom had clearly been remodeled, but not the rest of the room. I thought the shower not having a door was kind of strange. It took me a while to figure out that you have to put your key in the slot before you can turn any of the lights on.

Just on the basis of room quality, I'd find somewhere else next time.

My biggest complaint is that I was charged in dollars instead of pounds at an unfavorable exchange rate and with an extra 3.5% fee tacked on, to the tune of nearly an extra $200. Of course they refuse to budge and after reading other people's experiences, I'm not going to bother trying to get them to refund it and try again in pounds and probably won't stay in a DoubleTree property in another country again.

EDIT: To DoubleTree's credit, somebody did reach out after I complained about this on their survey and offered to refund the conversion fee. Another win for passive-aggressiveness.

scubaccr Jul 2, 2015 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by eleventy (Post 25056798)
I stayed here last week. They stay itself was pleasant enough. I'm a total noob at Hilton properties and London. The building is kind of old, and it shows particularly badly in the carpet. The desk and chair were in pretty rough shape. The bathroom had clearly been remodeled, but not the rest of the room. I thought the shower not having a door was kind of strange. It took me a while to figure out that you have to put your key in the slot before you can turn any of the lights on.

Just on the basis of room quality, I'd find somewhere else next time.

My biggest complaint is that I was charged in dollars instead of pounds at an unfavorable exchange rate and with an extra 3.5% fee tacked on, to the tune of nearly an extra $200. Of course they refuse to budge and after reading other people's experiences, I'm not going to bother trying to get them to refund it and try again in pounds and probably won't stay in a DoubleTree property in another country again.

Sounds like you are a victim of the scheme that is more rife in Asia hotels often called "Dynamic Currency Conversion"

Simply put although hotel bill is in local currency, GBP in this instance, if you are from USA then you may be asked if you would like to pay in gbp or your own cards currency
For this privilege the bank handling the dynamic currency conversion gives a poor rate and as most time you get the 3.5% handling fee (which is to on eg ATM access adjust the interbank rate to a normal selling rate)

It is not legal to bill you with currency conversion without asking you first, and you should dispute the transaction with you bank.

Whilst the hotel can argue you signed the payment card slip or put in your pin into the card machine, you will only have checked the actual checkout total which will be in GBP, so your CC card company will have to reverse and redo the transaction

Why do hotels hit their guests with dynamic conversion ..... Well basically the hotel shares the exchange rate mark up with the company performing the dynamic conversion !

holmedown Jul 2, 2015 3:51 pm

Stayed here in December - location is perfect for shopping or getting bus or tube anywhere in London.
Safe area at night - I went to Olymia onthe bus and didnt get back till midnight and happily walked the 150 yards from the bus stop to the hotel.
Staff friendly - breakfast was superb.
Rooms a bit on the smaller side.
Wifi worked well and happy to give early check-in / late check-out