Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Room Upgrades for Gold Member on Award Stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Room Upgrades for Gold Member on Award Stay

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Reward Stay Benefits at Hilton, Advice needed

I am a Hilton Gold Member and not too familiar with Holton Honours as I use IHG for the majority of my stays

I am looking to make a reward stay and need to find out some info, I have not booked a reward stay for three or so years so cant remember the upgrade policy.

I want to book a reward night at Conrad Singapore:

A King Classic Room is 40k points (standard reward)
An Exec Room with lounge access is 79k points (premium reward)

My question is that as a Gold VIP if I book the 40k reward will I be upgraded to a King Executive Room with Lounge Access?

I usually book the standard room on paid stays and always get an Executive room is it the same for Reward stays?

On anothe note is this good value? I can book the Exec room on special advance rate for $370 SGP inc tax.

I know that HHonors points are undervalued now but does this represent good value for 40k or should I just pay for it?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by navatwal
I am a Hilton Gold Member and not too familiar with Holton Honours as I use IHG for the majority of my stays

I am looking to make a reward stay and need to find out some info, I have not booked a reward stay for three or so years so cant remember the upgrade policy.

My question is that as a Gold VIP if I book the 40k reward will I be upgraded to a King Executive Room with Lounge Access?

I usually book the standard room on paid stays and always get an Executive room is it the same for Reward stays?

On anothe note is this good value? I can book the Exec room on special advance rate for $370 SGP inc tax.

I know that HHonors points are undervalued now but does this represent good value for 40k or should I just pay for it?
Reward and paid stays are treated the same.

That said, there is no guarantee that you will be upgraded to an Executive Room. All upgrades are availability based. You also must have your MyWay set for upgrades/breakfast. If you have it set for 1000 points, you won't get an upgrade.

The Conrad Singapore tends to treat Gold and Diamond elites well. However, the ONLY way to GUARANTEE an ER is to book it. OTW, it's up to the hotel and availability.

I personally think 79K point is A LOT for a ER. Looks like $370 SGP=$285 USD. I usually look to values of at least 2cents/point (ideally 3-4 cents/point).
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:50 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
At hotels where I have been upgraded 100% on paid stays I have never been upgraded on award stays (being told they don't upgrade award stays)

I would never plan on a upgrade if I wanted a higher class room, I would just reserve the higher class room.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Well an Exec Room is $370 SGP on Adv Purchase
A Standard Guest Room is $265 on Adv Purchase.

The question is 40k Points worth it for £135?

I think its good value if I get an upgrade to an Exec Room with Lounge Access.

It really is dependent on the hotels stance on reward stays.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
As stated, as Gold you can get UG to exec level with club access, no guarantee depends on how full the hotel is.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA, DL Gold, HH Gold

Thanks of asking this question. I already book my 40k classic room at the Conrad Centennial in April. I hope I get access to the Exec room.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Well I have booked the room for end of Feb and emailed the hotel, lets see what they say,

Originally Posted by MrDplus
Thanks of asking this question. I already book my 40k classic room at the Conrad Centennial in April. I hope I get access to the Exec room.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:26 am
Suspended

You Can E-Mail Them

You can e-mail them. Look them up on Hilton.com and the hotel site has an e-mail address. I have stayed there for a decade and have not used a reward stay yet, but have always, as a Gold, been upgraded and given lounge access with free Internet.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by MrDplus
If your tag is correct and you are HH Silver, neither upgrade nor breakfast is part of your benefits. The only benefit is a few extra points on any incidental charges.
If you want an Executive room, you should book it. As a Silver, you won't get it otherwise.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA, DL Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
If your tag is correct and you are HH Silver, neither upgrade nor breakfast is part of your benefits. The only benefit is a few extra points on any incidental charges.
If you want an Executive room, you should book it. As a Silver, you won't get it otherwise.
My bad... I forgot to change my tag... Thanks, though...
Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
I stayed there on award stay (granted in 2010) which was booked as a combination of points and certificate. I was upgraded to the Executive floor with no problem, and without asking.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: Hilton, ICH,
Smile Reward Stay and Gold Upgrade

Hi

Hope I've not missed this anywhere, have tried a few search's and not discovered the answer.

if i book a basic reward booking for a standard room, while holding gold status does this could for a next tier upgrade? i.e to King Room?

Thanks

Gareth
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by garethc
Hi

Hope I've not missed this anywhere, have tried a few search's and not discovered the answer.

if i book a basic reward booking for a standard room, while holding gold status does this could for a next tier upgrade? i.e to King Room?

Thanks

Gareth
Yes, but no guarantee.

Reward booking is the same as cash booking for HHonors.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by garethc
Hi

Thanks

Gareth
A reward stay is treated the same as a $ paid stay. Upgrades are always availability based. Please note, a Gold upgrade may not be the next tier up, just to a "preferred room". That room could be a different view, higher floor, etc. A standard room to one labeled a deluxe is considered an upgrade as is a corner room.

Gold HHonors guests will receive upgrades to preferred rooms, based on availability for the entire stay at the time of check-in. Upgrades for Gold HHonors guests may include the next-best available room from the room type booked. Upgrades may also be rooms with desirable views, corner rooms, rooms on high floors, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors**, as identified by each property. Some exclusions based on rate and room type may apply. See Terms & Conditions for details.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
You will be "eligible" for an upgrade. But, remember all the factors involved to get that upgrade. Hope for it, but do not expect it is my motto.

I wonder how hotels assign rooms? I would think it is something like this:

1) assign booked rooms to everyone to what they paid for/reserved. Assures that everyone has their booked room for the duration of their stay
2) then look to move up Diamonds for their stay if available
2) then look to move up Golds for their stay if available

That seems most equitable to me. Am I missing something? I'd really like to see how it is done at one of the high volume hotels. I think the process would be pretty complicated - could you imagine the moves and strategies involved? Do you go strictly alphabetical order, do you look who booked first, do you look at number of stays at that property, etc.? Is it all manual or does Hilton have automated tools available? My head would explode quickly if I was the person assigned to do blocking!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.