Wiki Posts
Search

Wife checking in before me?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND
Wife checking in before me?

Hey guys and gals! Just wanted to know if you've had any problems in the past checking in seperate?
I am the diamond and am arriving late in the evening(Work). The wife will arrive earlier and have lunch with friends in NYC. Will she be able to check us in?
Both of our names are on the reservation.
Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*, United Gold (Soon to be gone), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RamAir
Hey guys and gals! Just wanted to know if you've had any problems in the past checking in seperate?
I am the diamond and am arriving late in the evening(Work). The wife will arrive earlier and have lunch with friends in NYC. Will she be able to check us in?
Thanks!
As long as she is listed as an additional guest, she will be able to check in.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by marvanit
As long as she is listed as an additional guest, she will be able to check in.
Great thanks. Will I have to stop by the front desk with my diamond card or can I go straight up to the room?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Great thanks. Will I have to stop by the front desk with my diamond card or can I go straight up to the room?
It would be good to make a stop on your way by to make sure they will grant all the Diamond benefits. Technically, they are not obligated to extend your status to others, so showing up will/should ensure that.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:03 am

Programs: AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks!
Though I know this is technically breaking the rules - My wife, MIL & my 2 kids were traveling to Rosedale, CA to visit my wife's friend. She took Amtrack from Chicago to Reno because of the wow factor of a train for my kids, and drove the 2 hours to Rosedale. She calls me when in Salt Lake City (1 day before arriving in Reno) "I forgot to book a hotel room" (How the heck do you do that?). Booked a room for 2 nights with my gold status knowing I won't be there. I added her to the additional guest list.

I booked on-line at a HGI, and then called the hotel to verify there would be no issues with her just checking in. I did not tell the hotel I would not be a guest in the room, and the CC I used was a shared card, both with the same number (not sure if that made a difference).

Fast forward to Friday - I check in on-line for her, she arrives, get's the room keys, and all the perks with Gold status. No issues. Hotel didn't require to see me in person. Free breakfast for everyone (only suposed to be 2 guests) YMMV....
Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Thanks!
I always forget to add wife's name to the reservation, and she always checks in before me. As long as she has the reservation number she's never had a problem in the last few years (50 odd stays) and we've always received the Diamond benefits.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
If you haven't book the room yet, I would put in the comment field she will be checking before you when you book. If you haven't then I would call the property the day before or the day of and just tell the front desk.

If the property is playing by the rules they will require you to go to the front desk when you arrive in order for the points to stay and to get your breakfast vouchers and the wifi code or to make sure the internet doesn't get charged.

Last time I had it happen was at the Palmer house and they allowed my friend to check in and they did have the suite upgrade already processed but they wouldn't give him the key card to get on 23 to the exec lounge until I checked in and they also told him the WIFI would be charged and no points would be issued if I didn't go to the front desk upon arrival. If I wouldn't have shown up and tried scamming them not sure how they would have handled the additional charge from the small room to the suite upgrade.

While it is a pain having to go to the front desk I am glad when hotels follow the rules. It means my benefits aren't being diluted and there isn't the risk that a diamond is reserving a room and no staying there and their friends and relatives get the upgraded room when I dont.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:18 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond

Depends on the hotel (there is at least one in the city that can be quite strict about having you stop by) and who is working the desk.

If they need you to stop by they will let her know when she checks in, and you can just go up to the room. I'm assuming at some point you will talk to her to know which room you are going to, she can tell you then if they gave her both keys or not and if they asked for you to stop by or not for the breakfast certificates, etc.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by cordelli
Depends on the hotel (there is at least one in the city that can be quite strict about having you stop by) and who is working the desk.

If they need you to stop by they will let her know when she checks in, and you can just go up to the room. I'm assuming at some point you will talk to her to know which room you are going to, she can tell you then if they gave her both keys or not and if they asked for you to stop by or not for the breakfast certificates, etc.
The OP will never need his diamond card since it will be in the reservation.

The Hilton fashion district would not give my friend the wifi code or breakfast vouchers until I checked in (they did give him the bottled water though). A friend of mine checked into the doubletree TS the night before I did once and he didn't get charged for the WIFI that first night but when he went down to breakfast the next morning he was denied the free breakfast since I hadn't gone to the front desk yet (kind of surprised since they don't use vouchers there). I am glad to see the properties enforce it though.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*,
I have been booking hotels in my name for my wife for the past 5 or 6 years anytime she needs a hotel. I just make the reservation for two adults and she's never had a problem. Nine times out of ten she's checked in without a mention of me. I have though had a couple of late flights that I've missed.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:30 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
The OP will never need his diamond card since it will be in the reservation.
Not sure why you quoted me as I never said they would need to show a diamond card.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't understand why anyone would ever make a hotel reservation without the names of all (adult at least) guests on the reservation. For security, the hotel should check this if, for example, someone is ever locked out before issuing the new key card (and ask for photo ID too). This means that if you're away at business meetings all day and spouse forgets to take key card or the key card doesn't work, spouse would be locked out of the room until you return.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli
Not sure why you quoted me as I never said they would need to show a diamond card.
Sorry misread the first post. My bad
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't understand why anyone would ever make a hotel reservation without the names of all (adult at least) guests on the reservation.
I agree, at least for the most part. Some people just don't think about it, and others seem determined to go through life not doing things the right way, and then complaining when they have difficulties. One situation where people have a reason not to register all adult guests is if they are over-occupying the room: for example a room with 2 queen beds that will easily sleep 4 adults, but where the hotel has a policy of extra charges for more than 2 adults.

For security, the hotel should check this if, for example, someone is ever locked out before issuing the new key card (and ask for photo ID too).
Another reason, although rapidly fading now that most people have cellphones, is being able to reach all guest in the room by phone using their names, even if the caller doesn't know the room number.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't understand why anyone would ever make a hotel reservation without the names of all (adult at least) guests on the reservation. For security, the hotel should check this if, for example, someone is ever locked out before issuing the new key card (and ask for photo ID too). This means that if you're away at business meetings all day and spouse forgets to take key card or the key card doesn't work, spouse would be locked out of the room until you return.
I agree, especially if the people are travelling separately. There have been times when I have been travelling with friends and even though I was scheduled to be in earlier my flight will get delayed or they will get on an earlier flight and in before me. If that occurs they can just check in at the front desk. And like you said if someone forgets their key (or sometimes keys just quit working) and aren't with the HH member they are SOL if they need in the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.