Hilton Windhoek {NAM}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2012, 4:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Arrow Hilton Windhoek {NAM}

Hi,

It seems the Hilton is one of the best hotels in Windhoek. I have no Hilton points, as I normally don't stay with the chain. However, I have a bunch of AMEX MR points and Chase UR points. Do either of these transfer to Hilton HH? If so, could someone give me a rough idea of what a redemption would be / night for a room at the Hilton in Windhoek, Namibia? Thanks!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The property you reference is an award Category 5. Award categories generally are cited on the welcome page of Hilton-family properties.

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...s/freenight.do
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:31 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
It seems the Hilton is one of the best hotels in Windhoek. I have no Hilton points, as I normally don't stay with the chain. However, I have a bunch of AMEX MR points and Chase UR points. Do either of these transfer to Hilton HH? If so, could someone give me a rough idea of what a redemption would be / night for a room at the Hilton in Windhoek, Namibia? Thanks!
No, neither of them transfer. However, you can move Hawaiian Airlines miles and Virgin Atlantic miles. You'll get 2 Hilton points for each mile. So far the AA to Hilton transfer option is also open, though allegedly will be closed at any time. I believe you get a 60% bonus on your AA miles.

Who has stayed at the Windhoek Hilton and can comment on it?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:12 pm

Windhoek Hilton, Namibia

Who has stayed at the Hilton in Windhoek, Namibia? What did you think of it? Does it have an executive lounge? About how long a drive is it from the airport? Does it offer free parking?

I would appreciate any and all experiences in staying at this hotel.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:59 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
[#1] Who has stayed at the Hilton in Windhoek, Namibia? [#2] What did you think of it? [#3] Does it have an executive lounge? [#4] About how long a drive is it from the airport? [#5] Does it offer free parking?

I would appreciate any and all experiences in staying at this hotel.
You can find the answers to the following questions on the Hilton website.

#3 - From the Hilton website: Yes: "Upgrade to an executive room for more space and complimentary breakfast and snacks in the Executive Lounge."

#4 - From the Hilton website: It's 25 miles from the international airport (or 20 minutes driving time).

#5 - From the Hilton website: No: Self parking costs N$ 60.00 (about US$ 6.75).

Although I have been to Windhoek once, it was prior to the Hilton opening last year. Windhoek is a small city and there's not much to do there.

But be sure you stop at Joe's Beerhouse on Nelson Mandela Avenue. It's a must for every visitor to Windhoek. Website: http://www.joesbeerhouse.com.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 6:19 am

This hotel was a delightful surprise. It was more of a Conrad level quality than a Hilton with a bit of a W pool/bar scene. It was a beautiful place to stay and our upgrade to a gorgeous suite made it all the better.

We drove into Windhoek from the airport, about 40km. The hotel was very easy to find as we simply stayed on the airport road into town, looked up at the appropriate moment, and spotted the hotel to the right. Self parking was easy under the hotel.

The hotel is very new and it is my sense that it wants to become the social hub of Windhoek life. The lobby was pleasant with lots of seating areas. A talented pianist played in the afternoon. There was outdoor as well as indoor seating. The young, beautiful, and scantily clad, were found on the rooftop. There is a narrow lap pool with comfortable wicker deck furniture in various seating configurations around it. Beyond is the Sky Bar, with indoor as well as a large outdoor area to dine with a superb view over the city. The Executive Lounge is also accessed on this floor, being directly opposite the pool. The lounge is small but two stories high. It was staffed from 5pm to 11pm. There was a decent array of appetizers and two hot food choices as well as a large selection of beverages.

We were given one of the more beautiful suites I've ever had. It was contemporary and luxurious with muted gold and green tones. Both the living room and the bedroom had full baths with the bedroom bath having both tub and walk in shower. As a diamond, I was directed to the full breakfast on the mezzanine level. A continental breakfast is served in the lounge.

We chatted with the executive chef for a bit. He had opened five different Radisson Blu hotels in South Africa and elsewhere, and was recently brought into the Hilton. We discussed TripAdvisor reviews, some of which spoke to service problems at the hotel. He said that several senior staff had recently rotated out and that these problems were being addressed. We certainly had a superb stay vastly exceeding our expectations. I enthusiastically endorse the hotel.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Namibia has always been on our long list of "like to get there someday" places. SD1K's description of this hotel makes me want to book a trip there now!!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 4:58 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
SanDiego1K, did you ever check out Joe's Beerhouse? It's a legend and nothing quite like it exists anywhere on earth.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: AC
Did you do the Dune Quad biking?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by DCBob
SanDiego1K, did you ever check out Joe's Beerhouse? It's a legend and nothing quite like it exists anywhere on earth.
Yes, and thank you for the recommendation.

Originally Posted by AC_Good_Will
Did you do the Dune Quad biking?
In Windhoek? No. In Namibia? Yes.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by pinniped
Namibia has always been on our long list of "like to get there someday" places. SD1K's description of this hotel makes me want to book a trip there now!!
Me too!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any recent experiences at this property? I've booked my first trip to Namibia for later this year and was pleasantly surprised to see that there was a nice chain hotel I could use my points at in Windhoek. I'm not a big Hilton user, but I have gold status, and the "cash and money" rate of 12,000 points and about $45 seemed like a good deal. Any idea how golds are treated?

Staying in town seems like the obvious choice for my inbound flight (we arrive in the late afternoon), but perhaps a less obvious choice before my outbound flight, which is shortly after 7 am. I know the airport is far from town. I'm not sure there's a better lodging option closer to the airport, though. Any chance I can get breakfast at the Hilton at 5 am? I suppose South African will feed me something on the flight to JNB anyway.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:36 pm

recent stay; all good

[QUOTE=iahphx;22321559]Any recent experiences at this property?

Sorry I realize that your post is from almost 1 year ago, but yes I stayed here twice in December, each for one night, during the beginning and end of my trip to Namibia.

I also did the cash + points, so it was like $45 (US) and 12k Hilton points, and I can recommend it (especially at that cost) without qualification.

As gold members we (my wife and I) were given a room on the 8th floor. The front desk didn't really clearly explain the gold benefits perhaps as thoroughly as might be possible, but it ended up that we had free breakfast, lounge access, and free internet.

The internet was great, especially after coming back from the middle of the desert! (as an aside, when you google "desert" to confirm that this refers to the climate and not the food item, a picture of the Namib desert comes up )

The breakfast we only had time to eat at during one of the stays. It too was great... not like anything to blog home about, but there was lots of tasty stuff. Baked goods, omelette bar, smoked salmon, and a make-your-own juice station.

The lounge was fine. There was a bar stocked with some complimentary liquor as well as beers and wines, and some nuts and such. There are some TVs and some nice views, as I recall. The attendant said that they would have more food at dinner time but I didn't bother to follow up with that. Also they have a couple of computers in the upstairs portion of the lounge, which is good if you want to print a boarding pass or whatever.

And then there's a bunch of bars and restaurants and such, but we didn't do any of that. There's also a nice little artsy-crafty store which is good for quick souvenir shopping.

Finally, the hotel provides parking in an underground garage. I'm not sure if it was due to being Gold or what, but we were never charged for it (during either stay).

Oh yeah and it's right around the corner from Zoo Park, which is really cool! Lots of people out with families, kids, etc. Real pleasant spot. And yes Joe's Beerhouse is worth the hype!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey, concuss: I had two stays at the Windhoek Hilton in December, too. I wonder if we overlapped!

I'd essentially echo your review. I liked the hotel a lot and, if you're gold or higher, it's a no-brainer to stay here with the lounge access, free breakfast (which we thought was top-notch) and cheap cash + points rate. One time we got a great room upgrade (a "diplomatic suite") and the next time not much of anything, even though we mentioned how much we liked the suite on our last visit. We weren't charged for parking, either.

You could certainly make a light dinner out of the lounge food if you wanted to (it's different every night) but if you're hungry, I'd recommend the NICE restaurant (a well-regarded culinary school) a short drive away.

While the Hilton is nice, I didn't care that much for Windhoek. It's not dangerous or anything, just boring. I'd spend as little time as possible there on a Namibian vacation and, if I visit again (largely to see Etosha again), I will see if I could fly into Swakopmund or Walvis Bay and avoid Windhoek completely.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
We were also in Namibia recently. We decided not to overnight in Windhoek, and While I agree that Windhoek is not nearly the star attraction of the country, there is some interesting architecture and history to see for a day. We went a few miles outside the city center to see Heroes Acre, a national monument built by the North Koreans ..one of three they built in Windhoek ...which has great views of the city and a glimpse into past historical figures.. did enjoy the rest of the country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.