Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Berlin {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You no longer get your points (or money) back at any Hilton family hotel. Those parts of the brand standard satisfaction guarantee have been pulled.

I don't agree with the others here. I think the hotel should have honoured all elements of the booking and there's not enough basis to argue there was a unilateral mistake because IMO the rate isn't low enough. Good faith is crucial here- but posting on an Internet forum that you regularly hunt for mistake prices does undermine that and something I did not realise before my initial suggestion.

Its part of a general cheapskate mentality that hotel has. Another one, Waldorf Amsterdam.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:11 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Many of us booked the error rate and it was not honoured for us. I'd take it and just feel you did well.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Markie
Many of us booked the error rate and it was not honoured for us. I'd take it and just feel you did well.
Agreed. Pushing for the car service on a mistake rate is like calling the airline to ask about a mistake fare. Nothing good will come from it.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:40 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
It would be nice if you got the airport to hotel transport included, but do think about the good room rate you received. I would just get a taxi from TXL to the Waldorf, it will be 25-30 Euros at most. Enjoy your stay in a nice hotel and the west side of Berlin.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Andaz
I responded and said to them that I am just there to make a quick review of the property and it actually could give them something in return and said that I am only interested to keep the booking if I can stay in the Tower Suite.
I personally encountered fishy practice at the WA Berlin cumulating into a single snotty remark of the GM. However, I do not get this: you offered a deal yourself to give an intentionally positive review only to have your error rate honored? This is lying to fellow travelers to me. Sorry, but for me totally unacceptable practice.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
For my part, I'll maybe just say that I've only stayed once at the WA Berlin, it may have been a one off but I enjoyed it and reviewed the property on the hotel thread here on FT. It seems a lot of others don't have the same experience and fair play, always good to get plenty of opinions to manage expectations but nothing beats first hand experience and hopefully people will make up their own minds by staying there (and elsewhere and being able to compare them themselves). There does seem to be quite a bit of vitriol displayed here, I do not doubt the various poster's comments or experiences, just wish to give another view.

Many Germanic properties play by the rules, to the letter, with no exceptions, just like many Germans themselves do. For other cultures that like to game the system or want exceptions (multiple level upgrades as an example), this does not compute to Germans, they will do what is required and only that as that is what that culture generally does. This is obviously cultural stereotyping but it is my opinion and experience after living there for over 12 years in the past, YMMV.

Regardless of the above points, in general, the OP may wish to consider that hotels and chains do profile their customers and you may wish to consider how that profile may appear with time from what you have written and the impressions you give through your posts. (which may be wrong but I've certainly viewed them in a certain light, potentially incorrectly).

Safe travels everyone.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt
Originally Posted by Zurich
I personally encountered fishy practice at the WA Berlin cumulating into a single snotty remark of the GM. However, I do not get this: you offered a deal yourself to give an intentionally positive review only to have your error rate honored? This is lying to fellow travelers to me. Sorry, but for me totally unacceptable practice.
What? I said I like to write reviews and take pictures and that is why I wish to stay there in the suite.
Never did I state that I would write a positive review against them honoring the rate.

Why are you making things up?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:45 am

This sounds like a case of "Cutting off one's nose to spite the face".

Having stayed at both the WA Berlin and Hilton Berlin I much prefer the rooms and cooling system of the WA. Sure, those that like buffet breakfasts and the lounges, will disagree with me but if one is after a comfortable room the WA Berlin beats the Hilton in my opinion.
chrism20 and MS02113 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
What? I said I like to write reviews and take pictures and that is why I wish to stay there in the suite.
Never did I state that I would write a positive review against them honoring the rate.

Why are you making things up?
What exactly did you mean to state (or imply) with the following then:

I responded and said to them that I am just there to make a quick review of the property and it actually could give them something in return and said that I am only interested to keep the booking if I can stay in the Tower Suite.
(bolding mine)

C'mon... Like others have said before: you should have been happy with them honoring the rate and be done with it.
chrism20 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by goliath
What exactly did you mean to state (or imply) with the following then:

(bolding mine)

C'mon... Like others have said before: you should have been happy with them honoring the rate and be done with it.
Tottaly agree.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Honors
Pushing for the pick up service-- irrational * 1
Canceling the whole stay because the hotel might have lied about the pick up service -- irrational * 2

maybe people should be a bit cautious reading your hotel reviews lol
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by rog92
Pushing for the pick up service-- irrational * 1
Canceling the whole stay because the hotel might have lied about the pick up service -- irrational * 2

maybe people should be a bit cautious reading your hotel reviews lol
Agree. The OP clearly has very poor judgement
moa999 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHD
Originally Posted by chrism20
This is also the only European WA that does not offer full breakfast for elites.
I stayed at the Waldorf Berlin once and I didn't like it for similar reasons. Very petty attitude and lack of customer service standards in line with their pricing.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is this hotel walkable to tourist streets and sights? It seems far near the zoo. Trying to decide between Westin, Ritz-Carlton, and WA.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is this hotel walkable to tourist streets and sights? It seems far near the zoo. Trying to decide between Westin, Ritz-Carlton, and WA.
Hi,

I think regardless of where you stay in Berlin you will need to rely on public transport sometine.
THe WA is close to the Zoo the Berlin Zoo raliway station ,.the Kufurstendam shopping street and the Kaizer Wilheim Church.

I liked the Hilton Berlin loaction ( Near Stadmitte U bahn station with a short walk to Unter den linden , the Berliner Dom, the museums and some major old east berlin sites.

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.