Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Cancel Amex Honors card and reapply with new 60k bonus?

Old Jun 4, 12, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

Just was approved for Amex HHonors card in Late March and received 40k points.

Received new offer for 60k HHonors points for $750 spend and was denied bc I can only have one card per Amex. Operator wouldn't match my points an extra 20k to bring up to 60k points.

Can I cancel my previously approved (just a couple months ago) Amex card now that my 40k points are in, and then reapply for same card to get the 60k points or will that be too obvious of a churn and I'll be blacklisted?

Advanced thanks.
Old Jun 4, 12, 4:00 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by midtownj View Post
Hi All,

Just was approved for Amex HHonors card in Late March and received 40k points.

Received new offer for 60k HHonors points for $750 spend and was denied bc I can only have one card per Amex. Operator wouldn't match my points an extra 20k to bring up to 60k points.

Can I cancel my previously approved (just a couple months ago) Amex card now that my 40k points are in, and then reapply for same card to get the 60k points or will that be too obvious of a churn and I'll be blacklisted?

Advanced thanks.
Don't think canceling will work. If I recall correctly, if you got the card within the past 90 days, then they should "good will" you the additional points to match the current promo. Call AmEx back and insist on speaking with a supervisor; shouldn't be a problem.

Keep us posted on progress, and good luck.
Old Jun 4, 12, 6:06 pm

Was it the regular or Surpass card?

I've been waiting to sign up for the regular card for a deal better than 40k.

Where did you find the offer?
Old Jun 4, 12, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

thanks fozz, tried calling again, no go... said they have a new rule that as of may 12th, 2012 (made up on the spot?) where I can't avail of the same promo unless I wait a year, even though i told him it was different since it was 60k offer not 40k. he initially told me to cancel and reapply, spend $750 to get the extra 20k points, but then he backpedaled to the former statement of within a year.. then he mentioned about some 90 day rule as well (of which I'm still within) where I can't apply within 90 days of the same offer, which didn't make much sense since he previously said it was a year waiting period now with the supposed "new rule" of may 12th. essentially said nothing they can do.

stang, this is for the regular non-surpass and it seems to be targeted? got the offer in the mail with reservation code.
Old Jun 5, 12, 5:41 am

That's a good deal. I'll watch my mail box.

If anyone knows of any links where the 60k can be obtained, please share!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: