Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

A UK Hilton has police raid my room, says I was running a brothel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A UK Hilton has police raid my room, says I was running a brothel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Originally Posted by rggale
:Grabs popcorn:

I hope she/he/they gave you a refund after their visit was cut short :P

Looking forward to hearing the real and complete story...albeit likely from only one side :-:
Then again, the "other side" has been known to show their face on many accounts on FT ^
^
We're you sharing a room with Motley Crue? How the heck do you accidentally give the impression you're pimping or hooking in your hotel room??
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by golfmad
Well that's my point. Maybe this isn't the time to judge.
The original post seemed to be soliciting some judgement, but perhaps I misconstrued.

I'd certainly like to know whether this was a case of some zealous English 'jobsworth' overreaching or a genuine misunderstanding under the circumstances. That has to be established (reasonably) before I can reach any conclusion. Or perhaps I (we) are not supposed to come to a conclusion and the post is merely for entertainment purposes.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz Gold / Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Plat / Marriott Gold / IC RA / SPG Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
My question to the forum is should I contact Hilton corporate about this? Would they do anything? Or is Hilton the type of business that doesn't care?
stimpy, how on earth can you expect a reasonable and considered answer to this while you openly withhold important facts. (Facts which are implicit as to what occurred)

As entertaining as this thread is its kind of pointless until we are in receipt of the full facts.

Also the police would have liaised with someone at the hotel prior to entry and would have to have been fairly convinced of some illegal activity or they would not have come to your room. Especially as it was CID that were called out.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:32 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by oenophilist
+1 agree completely.

The GM not being available is absolutely crazy. You should be demanding a full refund for the entire stay (I would have already disputed it on my credit card by now) plus a written apology from Hilton Corporate.
Yes, that is where Hilton failed. There is no way that the GM should not have been personally involved in this.

BTW, I know stimpy personally and can guess at some of the details. My guess is that the hotel made a stupid, stupid assumption or two or three. And the fact that the GM was not personally involved to apologize for and rectify their stupid assumption(s) is inexcusable.

To answer your question, stimpy, I would escalate it as far as need be until you feel an appropriate apology has been offered. Too bad Conrad is dead, because that's who I would expect to call me in your shoes.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by danM
..Step back and consider the reverse of everything which happened here -- a poster on FT saying that there was a pimp/trafficker running an obvious operation out of the room next door. The poster informed the hotel, which took the step of checking with their guest before contacting the police. The poster would then rightly be upset because the hotel had warned the guilty parties, who were long-gone by the time the police had arrived, thus losing a real chance at stopping one of these things.
Just my 2 cents...
??? The goal of contacting the front desk would be to stop the noise next door. If running the perp off accomplishes that then fine. If the guest was looking for their 15 minutes of fame then a direct call to the police (after contacting the local press) would be the thing to do.

Even if the OP had a string of people flowing through the room, a direct contact would have stopped it. Bad press is something that will stick with the property a lot longer than being a good community citizen. They blew it plain and simple.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Surely hotels must see all manner of "odd" things on a regular basis. However wrong they may have been the staff must have had a well founded belief they were redoing the right thing? Otherwise the police would be in constant attendance at many London properties

Whilst they have clearly got it wrong here, to pillory the staff for trying to do the right thing seems a bit extreme unless there was no possible reason they could reach the conclusions they did except maliciously?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Originally Posted by blue47
Any chance the police went to the wrong room?
Yup, they sure did, and me and my b*tches sure breathed a sigh of relief when we heard them rattle on stimpy's door instead of ours
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:48 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
This would be great as a lead in to a Dos Equis most interesting man in the world commercial:

“When Stimp stays at a hotel the police drop by because the noise and seismic disturbance makes it seem like there are twenty women in the room; he is…the most interesting man in the world.

So, Stimpy, for pity’s sake don’t tell the true story, I’d rather stick with the pictures in my head, if it’s all the same to you.

And JD, you will burn in Hell….

Originally Posted by JDiver
....BTW, Dominique Strauss-Kahn would like you to PM him...
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I am suddenly very happy that my hotel stays are for the most part incredibly boring.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:53 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Pretty embarrassing if the Stimp-man was in his hotel room, er, alone and, um, watching the telly.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by RogerD408
??? The goal of contacting the front desk would be to stop the noise next door. If running the perp off accomplishes that then fine. If the guest was looking for their 15 minutes of fame then a direct call to the police (after contacting the local press) would be the thing to do.
OK, maybe my example wasn't completely well-constructed. I think you're perhaps a bit cynical, however. There are those who when confronted with evidence that somebody is being harmed will try to do what is right to help a perceived victim. This would be more than a noise complaint and not about getting one's 15 minutes of fame.

(I'm thinking about the trafficking angle here; I could care less about whether somebody is a prostitute or not)

The main point I was trying to make is once a hotel has some reason to suspect this sort of thing is going on, their hands are somewhat tied (no pun intended). I don't see what else they can reasonably do. Remember also that while we're visitors in a hotel, the hotel and its staff are a part of the local community. and so would likely perceive these things differently.

Once again, I'm speaking entirely in hypotheticals, w/o any knowledge or implication regarding the details of stimpy's situation. As I've said, I think that Hilton's (fairly enormous) failure was after the police visit.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: SkyMiles
Name The Hotel

Originally Posted by stimpy
In 15 years of travel at over 1000 hotels, this was a first for me. A sharp knock on the door and 3 serious looking CID police asking to speak to us. I invited them in and they asked us a bunch of questions. It became clear that they were told that we were running a prostitution ring or something like that. They quickly could see that we weren't running a brothel or doing anything illegal. They took down our passport details and apologized. When I asked how could they possibly have chosen our room to raid, they said the hotel strongly believed I was running prostitutes and trafficking women. I asked why the hotel didn't say anything to me about this, and police said maybe they were afraid. I was of course stunned by this and after the police left I went down to the front desk and asked for a manager. This was after 5pm on Friday and of course the weasel management had disappeared. The night manager said she knew nothing and could not (I didn't believe this lie at all) call the GM, nor the operations manager til Monday. Thus I feel correct in labeling the management as weasels.

So I got zero apology from the hotel. No reduction on the bill for all the trouble they caused, nor any consideration whatsoever. I'm Hilton Diamond for what that is worth, but still the hotel didn't give a hoot about their terrible error.

My question to the forum is should I contact Hilton corporate about this? Would they do anything? Or is Hilton the type of business that doesn't care?

I don't want to name the hotel just yet. We'll see what happens.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
I'm not completely sure about this. Would the police talk to the hotel management prior to going straight to the room if they'd received a call from someone other than the hotel management? Would be interested to know from someone who knows standard operating procedures in situations like this.

If the management were not informed then I don't think there's anything further to be done and the absence of management at the front desk was probably just unlucky.

If the management did know then they absolutely should have been prepared to man-up and discuss it with the guest and I'd recommend a follow up with Hilton corporate. All the management would have to say was that "this is our policy in these situations, sorry it was a false alarm but we need to act responsibly in all situations to protect all our guests".

The key is whether the hotel management knew or not. Are you pretty confident they knew stimpy?
Never mind these suppositions.

You were there. Police visit is documentable.

Damn the torpedoes , full steam ahead to Hilton HQ.

Last edited by HMPS; Mar 27, 2012 at 6:00 pm Reason: Spl
Old Mar 27, 2012, 6:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by danM
Once again, I'm speaking entirely in hypotheticals, w/o any knowledge or implication regarding the details of stimpy's situation. As I've said, I think that Hilton's (fairly enormous) failure was after the police visit.
This is my point exactly.

You have a HHonors Diamond member who has stayed at the property on multiple occasions in the past. He has given glowing reviews of the property. The GM has phoned him on his cell phone. We're not talking about a one-off person unknown to Hilton or the property. At least some courtesy should be extended.

To not at least make himself available during/after such an event is extremely shameful. To make up a story and have the night manager repeat it, only to find flaws it later, well that in itself should be grounds for formal counseling.

Are UK properties corporate owned or franchises?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
OK thanks for clarifying. The management behaved very poorly. Will be interesting to hear the outcome of your discussions with corporate.

Why not take the OP's word at face value when he started the thread ?

Indeed why are you accepting his word NOW ?

Stimpy, it is time to stump these idiots .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.