Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

A UK Hilton has police raid my room, says I was running a brothel

A UK Hilton has police raid my room, says I was running a brothel

Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
That's happened before, as the police in the UK do make mistakes. This, however, doesn't seem to be a mistake of that nature (i.e. of "wrong room" but right property at the right time).

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
If one is simply sitting in the room watching TV, the police do not turn up wanting "a word"..
It happens. In one rather posh residential building in London, the police turned up wanting a word with a newly-moved in resident because the neighbor had been considered to be a prostitute.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by blue47
Any chance the police went to the wrong room?
Any chance they went to the wrong property??? LOL

I know some cops and this is not out of the question!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by RAPC
Blimey, that is awful. No matter what, the somebody from hotel management must have known this and would have known that police would be in attendance. I can't imagine that they really would not be there or contactable to see the outcome of the police arrival.

Definitely escalate to Hilton Corporate now. (Even the Twitter team will pick this up and respond very quickly for you.)

For me, this isn't a compensation issue, more the principle of Hilton picking this up with the hotel management and getting a proper response and an apology about it. I'm sure more will follow that, but to go in to hiding certainly merits your description of the management.

Sometimes there are more to these things than an OP cares to mention, but I'm relatively confident that you are not running a mobile knocking shop on your Hilton travels.

It will definitely be good to know the hotel eventually at a point you feel appropriate. I'd like to give it a wide berth on my UK travels as a result.

Blimey....PM me here if you want me to help you get this to corporate hilton offices. I DO know that they recently relocated thieir corp offices to McLean, VA, near where I live.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:40 pm
Suspended

No one interested in pictures of the good-looking company?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:13 pm

deleted, company policy

Last edited by Hhonor Gguard; Dec 2, 2013 at 10:43 am Reason: deleted, company policy
Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
Without going into any bit of whether the hotel was correct in their assumptions or how they arrived at them (they obviously weren't). I don't think that they have any choice but to call the police directly, w/o consulting with the guest (at least in the US, and I can't imagine the response can be any different in the UK). Human trafficking is an extremely serious thing; once the prospect is raised, there really isn't anything the hotel can do besides call the police, step back, and let them handle it.

Step back and consider the reverse of everything which happened here -- a poster on FT saying that there was a pimp/trafficker running an obvious operation out of the room next door. The poster informed the hotel, which took the step of checking with their guest before contacting the police. The poster would then rightly be upset because the hotel had warned the guilty parties, who were long-gone by the time the police had arrived, thus losing a real chance at stopping one of these things.

That said, given the seriousness and complexity of the situation, an upper-level hotel manager should have been on-site and ready to explain and defuse the situation once the police left. I presume that if that had been the case, we wouldn't be reading about it here. I think that is where the hotel failed the OP.

Just my 2 cents...
Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1 .6 MM,Ethiad Gold,Virgin Silver,Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond,SPG Gold,BA Blue (ish)
My money is also on the Hilton Wembley Park ..heck last time I stayed it appeared to be staffed by people of said profession

OK jokes aside - I've dealt with Metropolitan Police's finest on many occasions not in a hotel but in a student residence and they have always talked to site management first before being taken to a room and explained the situation for their attendance so can't find it hard to that no hotel staff were aware in this case about the circumstances of the visit.

I hope the Police treated you well in the circumstances and if it was me I'd be reaching for Twitter,USA Today et al about this...someone somewhere made a very poor judgement call....
Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by golfmad
Come on Wally Bird, give the guy a break. I'm sure stimpy will give us the details when it's appropriate and does not conflict with the ongoing discussions he's having with the hotel.

Lighten up people. It's a discussion forum.
I just don't see the need to be coy about it. Something was going on; not knowing what makes it impossible to judge who, if anyone, was wronged here.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I just don't see the need to be coy about it. Something was going on; not knowing what makes it impossible to judge who, if anyone, was wronged here.
Well that's my point. Maybe this isn't the time to judge. Let the situation develop, let the OP report back and then you can pronounce your judgement in the 'court of FT'.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mandc2000
.someone somewhere made a very poor judgement call....
How can we conclude this in the absence of the full facts?

It may have been an incorrect judgement but we can't say if it was a fair conclusion in the absence of all the facts. I wouldn't think it likely we will get those here somehow, because however innocent the protagonist may be, he cannot be impartial and thus any discussion of the potential cause and effect is going to be tinged with his own very partial perspective?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/COPlat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Platinum
:Grabs popcorn:

I hope she/he/they gave you a refund after their visit was cut short :P

Looking forward to hearing the real and complete story...albeit likely from only one side :-:
Then again, the "other side" has been known to show their face on many accounts on FT ^
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1 .6 MM,Ethiad Gold,Virgin Silver,Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond,SPG Gold,BA Blue (ish)
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

It may have been an incorrect judgement but we can't say if it was a fair conclusion in the absence of all the facts. I wouldn't think it likely we will get those here somehow, because however innocent the protagonist may be, he cannot be impartial and thus any discussion of the potential cause and effect is going to be tinged with his own very partial perspective?
This is more exciting that any soap opera..oh wait I forgot about Hollyoaks

Dying to know which hotel ....still
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by danM
Without going into any bit of whether the hotel was correct in their assumptions or how they arrived at them (they obviously weren't). I don't think that they have any choice but to call the police directly, w/o consulting with the guest (at least in the US, and I can't imagine the response can be any different in the UK). Human trafficking is an extremely serious thing; once the prospect is raised, there really isn't anything the hotel can do besides call the police, step back, and let them handle it.

Step back and consider the reverse of everything which happened here -- a poster on FT saying that there was a pimp/trafficker running an obvious operation out of the room next door. The poster informed the hotel, which took the step of checking with their guest before contacting the police. The poster would then rightly be upset because the hotel had warned the guilty parties, who were long-gone by the time the police had arrived, thus losing a real chance at stopping one of these things.

That said, given the seriousness and complexity of the situation, an upper-level hotel manager should have been on-site and ready to explain and defuse the situation once the police left. I presume that if that had been the case, we wouldn't be reading about it here. I think that is where the hotel failed the OP.

Just my 2 cents...
+1 agree completely.

The GM not being available is absolutely crazy. You should be demanding a full refund for the entire stay (I would have already disputed it on my credit card by now) plus a written apology from Hilton Corporate.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
That no arrest of the OP was reported and/or that this incident took place may lead some to a rather safe conclusion that someone somewhere made a very poor judgement call.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Actually, the UK has significantly stricter laws about this kind of thing that the US does, iirc.

stimpy, sorry you had this abominably bad luck and ridiculousness from management. IMO, you should get a comp certificate for an equivalent stay in at least at equivalent level of property; that would be the right thing, and I am not imagining you will necessarily want to get a free stay at this property.

BTW, Dominique Strauss-Kahn would like you to PM him...

Originally Posted by Hhonor Gguard
Nope.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 27, 2012 at 3:45 pm Reason: quivalent period in at least an equivalent property.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.