Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Fair warning...National certificates from Hilton

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Virgin America Elevate Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Gold

If you trade Hilton points for National Rental Car days, if has a Saturday night stay requirement. Boo.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by CACommuter
If you trade Hilton points for National Rental Car days, if has a Saturday night stay requirement. Boo.
Car rentals are virtually never a good way to use HH points.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,
70,000 for one week is steep, but I'm looking at a one-way ORD-DTW with a minivan

Being executive national and Diamond Hilton, one would think someone would have the answer....nope.

How to book this reward to see if valid for my trip before redeeming 70k in points?

Thanks all

1-week rental*** 70,000 BNWK
--no mention of restrictions.
Old May 15, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: United, AA, Hilton
Horrible redemption

Horrible redemption rate.....that could be 2 out of 4 nights on an axon award at a cat 7 hotel.
Old May 15, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,
Primary earning is 3:1 points per dollar: 23,333 dollars spend for 1 week.

On costco minivan 1 week rental: $500+ a/i

That's over 2% redemption--not bad rate if able to go to this.

OP: Are there any restrictions to class or one-way? How to redeem on the reservation since we're executive emerald--Need to go to counter?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:23 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by montreid
Primary earning is 3:1 points per dollar: 23,333 dollars spend for 1 week.

On costco minivan 1 week rental: $500+ a/i

That's over 2% redemption--not bad rate if able to go to this.

OP: Are there any restrictions to class or one-way? How to redeem on the reservation since we're executive emerald--Need to go to counter?
I'm curious to hear from folks who've done the car rental redemption with HH points. Now that Hilton is greatly devaluing their points, partner awards or xfers aren't sounding so bad! Dump the HH points and keep track of one less program!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by LGA
I'm curious to hear from folks who've done the car rental redemption with HH points. Now that Hilton is greatly devaluing their points, partner awards or xfers aren't sounding so bad! Dump the HH points and keep track of one less program!
If one looks at the sixt website, where one is able to book online, it's pretty clear that it is converting points into a nominal (low) dollar value. A one week rental costs from 70k points (small car) to 50k/day for really prestige ones....i.e. bad value. I have no doubt the other rental partners are probably the same.

tb
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
A one week rental costs from 70k points (small car) to 50k/day for really prestige ones....i.e. bad value.
Bad value has a new meaning now that it will soon take well over 700,000 HH for a 1 week stay in the Maldives - off peak.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 7:18 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by trueblu
If one looks at the sixt website, where one is able to book online, it's pretty clear that it is converting points into a nominal (low) dollar value. A one week rental costs from 70k points (small car) to 50k/day for really prestige ones....i.e. bad value. I have no doubt the other rental partners are probably the same.

tb
Sorry - I was referring specifically to National when I quoted that FTer; should've made it more explicit. A one-week, one-way rental is NOT looking like a bad value at all, esp. with the Emerald Exec car selection.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, MR Plat, PC Plat
Dump your points, the dump Hilton is my plan.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:40 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by LGA
Sorry - I was referring specifically to National when I quoted that FTer; should've made it more explicit. A one-week, one-way rental is NOT looking like a bad value at all, esp. with the Emerald Exec car selection.
I realised that, but I was pointing out that the 'headline rate' for redemption is (with sixt) just for the cheapest possible rental. Have you confirmed that rate with National for the one week one way and what type of car? I'm not too familiar with National -- does the exec plan mean you can book the cheapest car and choose anything you want?

tb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.