Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Those free Doubletree cookies - and people with nut allergies!

Those free Doubletree cookies - and people with nut allergies!

Old Mar 13, 12, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Question Those free Doubletree cookies - and people with nut allergies!

I tend to always stay at a Doubletree for at least one night when I'm in the US on a fly-drive holiday, as I like the quality, the HH points and I'm quite partial to their free cookies at check-in too. ^

Sadly my wife wishes she liked the cookies, but after biting into one a few years back and realising it had nuts in (and very quickly spitting it out before she was violently sick), she now avoids them like the plague.

Has the Doubletree ever considered offering a nut-free cookie? There are soooooo many people with nut allergies, and the risk to some who eats nuts can be fairly severe, so it would just seem to make sense... Or at least to label the little bags they give them out in clearly to say "This product contains nuts".

Everytime I've asked check-in staff if they have any nut-free cookies, I've been told they don't do them. Seems a no-brainer to me to offer an alternative, but I just wondered what other people thought?

(I'd actually far prefer a plain choc-chip cookie myself too - I can eat nuts, I'm just not the biggest fan of them)...

So am I nuts for asking, or does this have some mileage in being explored?
Old Mar 13, 12, 3:23 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Mrs. Fredd is allergic to walnuts and thus unable to eat the DT cookies. I'm likewise surprised that the recipe contains nuts.

During a recent pleasant stay at the Durango CO DT the desk clerk pro-actively warned us of the nuts, the only time we recall that occurring.

Methinks that's a good idea as the nuts, as you suggest, aren't all that apparent until you bite into the cookie.
Old Mar 13, 12, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by 747_not_777 View Post
I tend to always stay at a Doubletree for at least one night when I'm in the US on a fly-drive holiday, as I like the quality, the HH points and I'm quite partial to their free cookies at check-in too. ^

Sadly my wife wishes she liked the cookies, but after biting into one a few years back and realising it had nuts in (and very quickly spitting it out before she was violently sick), she now avoids them like the plague.

Has the Doubletree ever considered offering a nut-free cookie? There are soooooo many people with nut allergies, and the risk to some who eats nuts can be fairly severe, so it would just seem to make sense... Or at least to label the little bags they give them out in clearly to say "This product contains nuts".

Everytime I've asked check-in staff if they have any nut-free cookies, I've been told they don't do them. Seems a no-brainer to me to offer an alternative, but I just wondered what other people thought?

(I'd actually far prefer a plain choc-chip cookie myself too - I can eat nuts, I'm just not the biggest fan of them)...

So am I nuts for asking, or does this have some mileage in being explored?
My SO has several dangerous allergies (peanuts being one them). Whenever we're at the Doubletree, upon checkin I request a bottle of water for her instead as per the allergy (she is, in fact, a voracious water drinker). Usually, the desk is more than happy to comply.
Old Mar 13, 12, 4:00 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
My SO has several dangerous allergies (peanuts being one them). Whenever we're at the Doubletree, upon checkin I request a bottle of water for her instead as per the allergy (she is, in fact, a voracious water drinker). Usually, the desk is more than happy to comply.
Good idea. ^
Old Mar 13, 12, 7:58 am

deleted, company policy

Last edited by Hhonor Gguard; Dec 2, 13 at 11:45 am Reason: deleted, company policy
Old Mar 13, 12, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Hhonor Gguard View Post
I can't imagine anybody with a nut allergy biting into a cookie before verifying its ingredients.
Well, in the UK - we aren't 'cookie-mad' like in the US. And when cookies are around, they are far more often than not chocolate-based (choc chip, double choc chip, white choc chip etc) and without nuts.

And also - we just didn't think any major brand would dream of handing biscuits / cookies out which had nuts in - without labelling the bag prominently in advance! In the UK, we even have "warning this product contains nuts" labels on bags of peanuts!
Old Mar 13, 12, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Across the continuum of corporate nannying to accepting personal responsibility, like HHonorGuard, I say it's the eater's responsibility. I had a niece with food allergies who could recognize 'red dye' as an ingredient (and had the discipline to check) by age 4.
Old Mar 13, 12, 8:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I believe they pride themselves on the fact it's a secret recipe that has not changed over the years and years, so I don't see them changing the recipe. They should offer one with and one without nuts, but that would probably be a disaster at the production plant if they need to process them on totally different lines.

Personally, shoot me, I don't care, I don't get the attraction of nuts in chocolate chip cookies. I like them in many other cookies, but not chocolate chip.
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:09 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by 747_not_777 View Post
There are soooooo many people with nut allergies...
Actually, most sources indicate that only about 1 percent of the U.S. population is allergic to nuts. I don't see DT offering a nut-free alternative given such a small affected population.

Here's one such source; you can Google others:

"Peanut or tree nut allergies affect approximately 0.6 percent and 0.4 percent of Americans, respectively, and cause the most severe food-induced allergic reactions."

Sicherer SH, Munoz-Furlong A, and Sampson HA. "Prevalence of peanut and tree nut allergy in the United States determined by means of a random digit dial telephone survey: A 5-year follow-up study." Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 112(6):1203-1207. 2003.
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy View Post
Actually, most sources indicate that only about 1 percent of the U.S. population is allergic to nuts. I don't see DT offering a nut-free alternative given such a small affected population.

Here's one such source; you can Google others:

"Peanut or tree nut allergies affect approximately 0.6 percent and 0.4 percent of Americans, respectively, and cause the most severe food-induced allergic reactions."

Sicherer SH, Munoz-Furlong A, and Sampson HA. "Prevalence of peanut and tree nut allergy in the United States determined by means of a random digit dial telephone survey: A 5-year follow-up study." Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 112(6):1203-1207. 2003.
Now you're just clouding the issue with facts. Thanks. I do love the DT cookies. I'd be disappointed if the recipe changed.
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:30 am

To update my earlier post, Mrs. Fredd reminded me that during our January stay the Durango CO DT front-desk clerk pro-actively warned us that the cookies contain nuts. When Mrs. Fredd mentioned her allergy to walnuts, she was immediately offered a nut-free alternative, which we thought was a nice touch. ^

I don't particularly like walnuts myself, although they're not all that conspicuous in that secret recipe, preferring cashews, pecans, almonds, and even the lowly peanut. However, I do sometimes manage to eat two DT cookies.

The statistics cited are reassuring, indicating that only a very few customers at a typical property might potentially suffer allergic reactions during a given week.
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:54 am

hmmmm.... doesn't it say it right on the bag?

I hope they don't change it, those cookies are amazingly good and I look forward to them. I rarely even eat cookies other than theirs, it's a treat.

A lot of people have various food allergies but don't expect things to change for them. Personally, I'm allergic to salmon and I simply don't eat it. Of course, there aren't many things that contain salmon other than well... salmon... so it's a bit easier. Plus, my reaction isn't as horrible, but it's certainly not pleasant. But I've eaten only parts of many meals at events, on planes, etc where salmon was just what was served.

Last edited by MissJ; Mar 13, 12 at 10:14 am
Old Mar 13, 12, 10:41 am

Programs: HH Dia, Avis First, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AS
Originally Posted by MissJ View Post
hmmmm.... doesn't it say it right on the bag?

I hope they don't change it, those cookies are amazingly good and I look forward to them. I rarely even eat cookies other than theirs, it's a treat.
Now flip it over and show everyone the nutrition facts. That will stop a lot of people from eating them! I now only eat 1/4 or 1/2 of the cookie then trash the rest.
Old Mar 13, 12, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
The last several Doubletrees I've stayed at in upstate NY have had a sign at the desk, warning about ingredients, and if concerned, ask for an alternative welcome gift.

The cookies are allegedly a DT signature and shipped exclusively by the Christie Cookie Company; they likely don't want to have options... It would be like when Wendy's went to flavored Frosty's, IMHO
Old Mar 13, 12, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by MissJ View Post
It is extremely cruel of you to post the picture of the cookie during breakfast hours here!

Originally Posted by jvick125 View Post
I now only eat 1/4 or 1/2 of the cookie then trash the rest.
NOOOOOOOOoooooo....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: