Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Those free Doubletree cookies - and people with nut allergies!

Those free Doubletree cookies - and people with nut allergies!

Old Mar 13, 12, 11:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Flyer78 View Post
... It would be like when Wendy's went to flavored Frosty's, IMHO
Or when Coca-Cola went to the "New Coke" formula. That went over really well, didn't it?
Old Mar 13, 12, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by jvick125 View Post
Now flip it over and show everyone the nutrition facts. That will stop a lot of people from eating them! I now only eat 1/4 or 1/2 of the cookie then trash the rest.
Oh it's terrible. I make a pact with myself to hit up the gym every day when I'm there. It's not hard, my normal DT near my office in MA is in boresville so there isn't much else to do.

BTW, I liked Crystal Pepsi.
Old Mar 13, 12, 11:25 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by jvick125 View Post
Now flip it over and show everyone the nutrition facts. That will stop a lot of people from eating them! I now only eat 1/4 or 1/2 of the cookie then trash the rest.
310 calories for the whole cookie. Saw that when I stayed in a DT this weekend. If I stayed more often, I'd probably eat only a portion of the cookie, too, but my stays are spaced out enough that I don't feel as guilty when I eat the whole thing.

Definitely no dessert at dinner that night, though!
Old Mar 13, 12, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That cookie is the only thing I miss from staying at a DT.
Old Mar 13, 12, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
First the total ban on peanuts on airplanes, no peanut butter at schools and so on. Do not take away the DT cookies. I feel sorry for those with this allergy, but get over it and allow those of us not aflicted one of the few hotel perks left.
Old Mar 13, 12, 1:46 pm

deleted, company policy

Last edited by Hhonor Gguard; Dec 2, 13 at 11:44 am Reason: deleted, company policy
Old Mar 13, 12, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy View Post
Actually, most sources indicate that only about 1 percent of the U.S. population is allergic to nuts. I don't see DT offering a nut-free alternative given such a small affected population.
But I'm not talking about Americans! And my wife is not American!

Joking aside, I look forward to the cookies at DT - I am not allergic to nuts, and I like eating nuts on their own, but I'm not that keen on them hidden in food. I reckon the DT cookies would taste better without the walnut, but that's just a personal opinion.

Didn't realise the DT bags warn about nut products - I have a feeling that may be a new feature.

And I REALLY like the idea of some of the DT establishments other people have mentioned whereby they offer an alternative welcome gift if the guest is allergic to nuts. A nice touch.

Good to get the feedback on just how well the cookies gone down with y'all.
Old Mar 13, 12, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by MissJ View Post
hmmmm.... doesn't it say it right on the bag?

Not in the UK (but I might be mistaken).
Old Mar 13, 12, 5:56 pm

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Originally Posted by 747_not_777 View Post

Joking aside, I look forward to the cookies at DT - I am not allergic to nuts, and I like eating nuts on their own, but I'm not that keen on them hidden in food. I reckon the DT cookies would taste better without the walnut, but that's just a personal opinion.
I have a walnut problem, I am proficient in several languages to ask if something contains walnuts. I nearly always do. It's not a bad problem, I won't die, I won't have to go to a hospital, but I will be sick and feel like crap for a few hours.

With backed goods, I always ask first, so I've never had the DT cookie.
Old Mar 13, 12, 10:25 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Maybe they should hand out epi-pens with them
Old Mar 14, 12, 1:08 am

I like the cookies the way they are. I have always recalled a mention of nuts on the bag, although a few times in Europe, they have had no bag and had to use a substitute.

I can see the value in them warning people, but equally the people that I know suffer from Anaphylactic shock, would never bite into anything without some form of enquiry. It really doesn't make sense. Although I suspect there are a lot of people who describe themselves as allergic, but really just don't like nuts.
Old Mar 14, 12, 5:42 am

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Originally Posted by Dan72 View Post
Although I suspect there are a lot of people who describe themselves as allergic, but really just don't like nuts.
In that case, they probably shouldn't check out the "What is the Q2 Promo going to be" thread -- there's nothing but nuts over there !!
Old Mar 14, 12, 6:34 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Rickers View Post
In that case, they probably shouldn't check out the "What is the Q2 Promo going to be" thread -- there's nothing but nuts over there !!
Hey, I resent that. I posted over there.

Promo speculation threads are fun. We can make multiple WAG's, be consistently wrong, and in the end nobody cares.
Old Mar 14, 12, 7:28 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Shhh...

When we checked in at the Bratislava DT a few minutes ago, the front desk offered us two cookies.

When I mentioned Mrs. Fredd was allergic to nuts, the friendly young woman assured us there were no nuts in them, until her colleague corrected her and pointed to what was written on the back of the bag.

Here are the secret ingredients - don't tell anybody:

Ingredients: Chocolate chips, flour, walnuts, butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, rolled oats, lemon juice concentrate, vanilla extract, baking soda, salt, cinnamon.

Full credit to DT for pure ingredients. ^
Old Mar 14, 12, 9:19 am

I didn't know there are that many people with nuts allergy! If 50,000 people come to a baseball game and they gave out free peanuts, 500 of them cannot enjoy them!

Or if you have a company potluck with 100 people and forgot you use peanut oil in your recipe, one of your coworker could get sick because of it! Scary thoughts...

The problem with allergy is that the more you avoid it, the more people will get it in the future generations. Right now it is 1%, in 50 years, it would be 10%... in 200 years, they may have to outlaw nuts.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: