Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Boston Logan Airport {US-MA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Boston Logan Airport {US-MA}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2006, 7:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by stc
I tried searched for "point value" and things like that but the search tool says the words are all too common, so I figured I would ask for the conventioal wisdom here.

I'm not a morning person so when I have an early morning flight I generally try to book a room at the airport the night before. This saves me a couple of hours of sleep.

Unfortunately hotel prices are rising and I'm faced with the choice of spending about $210 plus tax for 35k points. Except that I only have about 29k points in my acccount. So, my choice comes down to spending $210 plus tax or buying more points for $75 and then spending the 35k points. I'd probably be inclined to spend the 35k points if I had them in my account, but I'm wondering when the balance tips from points+money to just spending the money. Clearly if I had to buy the 35k points for $350, I'd be better off paying for the room outright. I guess it comes down to the value of the 29k points in my account already?

Any ideas what 29k points is worth? Or whether I should just book at paid room at $210 plus tax or effectively pay 29k points plus $75?

Thanks for your ideas on the subject.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 7:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
I'd try bidding $64 on Priceline before buying or using points. Good luck
Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:07 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by derby44
I'd try bidding $64 on Priceline before buying or using points. Good luck
I agree. Bid 4 star Revere-Logan Airport. You will either get the Hilton or the Hyatt if there is availability. You can pick up some strategies in bidding before hand by going to http://p070.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding
and clicking on "Massachusetts-Boston" before placing your bid.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:10 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by general45
I agree. Bid 4 star Revere-Logan Airport. You will either get the Hilton or the Hyatt if there is availability. You can pick up some strategies in bidding before hand by going to http://p070.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding
Thanks. But I want the Hilton so that I can check in and then go back and get breakfast (in the Exec Lounge). It is a an international flight and they want me to check in two+ hours before.

Besides, I could use the stay credit.

Also, we are talking at 75-90% probable trip in August. So, Priceline would be a gamble.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:39 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
If your two choices are limited to between paying $210+ or 29K points plus $75, I would go for paying the $210+, as I value HHonors points at $0.01/point and so using the 29K (after subtracting the $75) values the points at about half that, or $0.005/point.

As your trip is still in the "probable" stage, I assume you will have to reserve a more expensive fully refundable/flexible rate. If this is the case you might want to do this, and when your plans become firm up, try to get a good Priceline rate for an airport hotel and cancel the Hilton reservation. Even paying for breakfast, you would still come out far ahead. Really need a Hilton stay credit? Stay at the nearby (for you) Hilton Dedham for $81 on some weekend night. You'll get points in addition to the stay credit, and still come out ahead on overall total cost.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Pay the $210 and enjoy the stay. You may earn enough points to go over the threshold for an award stay somewhere else, so figure it like getting 2 stays for $210. Besides, for me it would have to be a major price difference to beat the "walk to the hotel from the terminal and avoid the shuttle" feature of airport Hiltons like Logan.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by stc
Thanks. But I want the Hilton so that I can check in and then go back and get breakfast (in the Exec Lounge). It is a an international flight and they want me to check in two+ hours before.

Besides, I could use the stay credit.

Also, we are talking at 75-90% probable trip in August. So, Priceline would be a gamble.
If it's the Exec Lounge you are concerned about then to get in you might not even need to be staying on a Hilton rate. I'm at the Hilton Logan at this moment, in the Exec Lounge and only needed to sign in on a sheet with my surname and status. Didn't need to show my room key or HH card!

Lounge is pretty nice, I arrived at 8.45am for a stay this evening and was invited to help myself to continental breakfast when I checked in. Decent views over the apron of Terminal A and off towards the city too. Am probably going to watch the fireworks from here to avoid the crowds in the city and the fact I got up at 4.45am this morning and tomorrow at 4.15am! *yawn*
Old Jul 4, 2006, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
It sucked It sucked and It sucked

Originally Posted by DoubleJ
If your two choices are limited to between paying $210+ or 29K points plus $75, I would go for paying the $210+, as I value HHonors points at $0.01/point and so using the 29K (after subtracting the $75) values the points at about half that, or $0.005/point.

As your trip is still in the "probable" stage, I assume you will have to reserve a more expensive fully refundable/flexible rate. If this is the case you might want to do this, and when your plans become firm up, try to get a good Priceline rate for an airport hotel and cancel the Hilton reservation. Even paying for breakfast, you would still come out far ahead. Really need a Hilton stay credit? Stay at the nearby (for you) Hilton Dedham for $81 on some weekend night. You'll get points in addition to the stay credit, and still come out ahead on overall total cost.
I would pay for the stay. I was forced into a really bad situation there a few months ago. Hotel was pretty full. Rate was $349 (it sucked) used points (35k) that sucked. The lounge is really nothing to cheer for (it sucks too). Next time its priceline for me, the hell with the points. PS use Fraser's tip they deserve it. BTW can you get up to the exec floors without a coded room key? Ive been in so many hiltons this year I cant remember.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by rwill11
BTW can you get up to the exec floors without a coded room key? Ive been in so many hiltons this year I cant remember.
Yes. Just hit the 10th floor button

I was on the 9th floor but was given an Exec Floor keycard
Old Jul 5, 2006, 8:50 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Fraser

I've seen the staff checking for key-cards. In addition I think there is a sign (or maybe that was another hilton) saying they reserve the right to card gate-crashers $9.95.

Besides, would you try to sneak into the first class area on a plane and ask for an alcooholic drink?

Hilton (and Starwood) have certainly treated me better than any airline. And given hotels can't park their hotels when times are tight, I see no reason to start trying to cheat Hilton.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 2:18 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by stc
Hilton (and Starwood) have certainly treated me better than any airline. And given hotels can't park their hotels when times are tight, I see no reason to start trying to cheat Hilton.
^ ^ ^
Old Jul 5, 2006, 4:46 pm
stc

Originally Posted by Fraser

Which actually means there were giving you Executive Lounge access. So, I didn't mean to imply that you were trying to cheat the system. If anything, the hotel should be yelled at for not explaining they were giving you legitimate access.

My snarkiness was more directed at the suggestion I book a Priceline rate and use the lounge anyway.

IMHO, Priceline is another symptom of why airline service sux so bad. Given the choice of paying $N for crappy service or $N+a small delta for better service like on Midwest, the average person would save the small amount of money and forego the better service.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
thanks for the thread

Originally Posted by general45
It has come in handy. Im going back to BOS on thurs. Hilton 239 Hyatt 249. I bid 74 bucks on priceline, no dice, I figure thats for weekend rates. You can get an extra free bid by adding South boston to the list (no 4 stars) and change price. Bid 116 and got the hyatt. ^
Old Apr 9, 2007, 1:06 pm

Programs: Onetime bmi * Gold lifetime membership, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold
12 hours stopover at BOS

Hi,

I have a 12 hour stopover at BOS arriving from San Francisco at 8am, leaving for London at 8pm. I am tempted to book a hotel room for the day. The Hilton Logan looks well sited. Does anyone know if they sell rooms for day use - as at the Hilton at Heathrow? I can book an overnight stay but wonder when I might get access to the room. And I'm not sure if I should book for the night before and request late check out or the night of checkin and ask for the room early! Ideally I need the room from, say, 9am to 6pm.

Thanks for any advice.

bmifly
Old Apr 9, 2007, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
The Hilton at Logan offers day room rates which begin at 9AM and which require the room to be vacated by 6PM. I do not believe that this can be booked on the website.

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hote...setts/index.do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.