Hilton Belfast {GBR}

Old Aug 11, 99, 9:00 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Arrow Hilton Belfast {GBR}

Well here we go again....my husband just called from the Belfast Hilton...and not too happy.....
To start with, because of our married account, his reservation was overwritten with my name once he gave HHonors reservation line our Gold number (because I am the primary account holder). So upon checkin, he had to argue about being checked in!!!
They did upgrade him to a Towers room, which he is enjoying very much. He visited the Towers lounge but it was unmanned. He enjoyed a few beers and left. He thought that a little odd, but got quite a shock this morning, when he arrived for breakfast. Again, the lounge was unmanned, and there was no food. When he called the front desk, he was told that every hotel has at its discretion what benefits they will provide Gold members. He was told that he was upgraded but he may NOT use the lounge. If he does, they will charge him. (I wonder how they will do that, when there is never anyone there???).
Finally, after being upgraded, he was then told that since he is sharing a room with his parents (and he because he is now in a Towers room), he will be charged an additional 20 pounds a night. This after HHonors assured us that he would NOT be charged. Finally, he asked for his customary newspaper to be delivered in the morning. He was told that they don't do that, but they will place them by the front desk, and they last until they are gone.
After calling the HHonors line, I was given no assistance (what can we do?).
Once again, Hilton is inconsistant. Well, when I join my husband this weekend...we will be at the Radisson (free breakfast included)
Old Aug 11, 99, 10:25 pm

Boomer, why?
with all respect I disagree with you.

havent u enjoyed staying at some hilton properties if not most of them?

I believe in one thing... that there is no thing is perfect in this world.

what can we do?

may be stop staying at the Belfast hilton, but not all hiltons!!.

FT is a great and valuable source of information.. were one can get answers for all his/her questions.

I am sure that Adam gonna read this and as usual gonna take the appropriat move.

Good Luck,

KSA_USA

Old Aug 11, 99, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Silver, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Sorry all but I have to disagree on this one. I have frequently stayed at the Hilton Belfast since it opened and have always received excellent service. Even when I have syaed on VERY cheap rates (i.e. GBP 65/night) I have ben upgraded and been given free access to all the facilities (incl the health club in the basement).

In general the hotel is really nice and well maintained. At first the staff did have to go through the learning curve process but in the end they have turned out quite well.

With specific ref to your points gabbysz I have always recieved my newspaper to the door in the morning (even a USA Today). The lounges are frequently unmanned but you can usually access the bar and snacks. They also have a phone where you can call down and ask for someone to come up and help.

Maybe your husband just experienced a bad stay (it happens sometimes!) It's too bad he wasn't able to experience the good side of the hotel but I would reccomend giving the hotel another chance in the future.

- indogulf
Old Aug 13, 99, 6:25 pm

gabbysz -- First of all, let me personally apologize for your husband's experience. Obviously this isn't acceptable. While, as others have pointed out, this certainly should be the exception and not the rule, I don't EVER like to hear that a guest has had this kind of experience. I'll take this up with the appropriate parties, and get back to you.

Again -- I'm very sorry for your frustration.

Best regards,

Adam
Old Aug 17, 99, 9:51 am
Original Member

Similar experience at the Gatwick Hilton. After some discussion, and a request to speak to the manager on duty, I was finally upgraded to a club room. However, they refused to give me access to the lounge, as 'it is not part of our upgrade policy, you got the upgraded room, goodbye.'

I guess the lounge costs the hotel money, but the room, if unoccupied, does not.

I won't stay at this hotel again, simply because of the attitude. I have other stays at different Hiltons over the next month, I wait to see how they act.

Tim
Old Aug 17, 99, 10:30 am

Tim_T -- I'd appreciate it if you could e-mail with the details of your Gatwick stay so we can follow up with the hotel. Please forward your name, HHonors account number, the dates of the stay and any other information you think appropriate. My apologies for the difficulties you encountered. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Regards,

Adam
Old Aug 19, 99, 7:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
Adam, Like what you are trying to do. Other chains should monitor these boards like you do. My beef with HHonors program (not posted) is largely unfounded and consists of them strictly following their rules althought I stay there often.
Old Aug 20, 99, 11:40 am

flyguy -- Thanks for the kind words. I would, of course, welcome any specific feedback or concerns you may have. Please feel free to drop me a line on e-mail if there are particular issues you feel I should be aware of.

Best regards,

Adam
[email protected]
Old Aug 20, 99, 1:59 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: UA1K MM, HHonors Diamond + many more
Adam

Heres one for you, I just got back from the Hilton at Mainz, Germany and when I went to book through my corporate travel agent a new flight it turns out I was at my limit. What happened was that the hotel had run an authorization the day after I arrived for the anticipated total. When I checked out six days later they ran another bill through with the other authorization still hanging around. The extra authorization put me very close to my limit and I had to call the credit card company to find out what had happened. Is this standard practice to run an authorization and then run a final bill through under a different authorization. I'll live but it sure did cause some headaches. Thanks for all you help with all our beefs, it's one reason I switched to Hilton.

Cheers Scott
Old Aug 24, 99, 7:26 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Just an update to my above posting.....Based on the postings here, I convinced my husband to book into the Hilton in Belfast after he returned from Dublin. On his second stay...what a difference!
Upon checkin, he was upgraded to Towers with a free breakfast buffet for himself and his parents. He was staying with his parents in one room and requested a rollaway bed. After about twenty minutes of waiting in their room, the manager called. He apologized for the inconvenience, but there were no more rollaways. However, the room next door was empty, so he offered it to my husband, free of charge!
Finally, he had a paper delivered everyday!Bravo Belfast Hilton! (and I suspect Adam Burke!)
Old Jul 14, 00, 5:31 pm

Programs: a little here, a little there
Hilton Belfast gripe

This was a new one to me...

I asked the Hilton Belfast front desk if they could check on room availability in Dublin for me for the night following my checkout. She said they were on different computers, but could call. Once in my room, the front desk rang through and connected me to the Dublin reservations, and I decided that the rate was too rich for my blood (at the end of a 2 week holiday).

Well, at checkout the next morning, I enquired about some phone charges, and it turns out that they had charged me 8 pounds for the phone call to Dublin! I tried to reason with them, but they were pretty adamant. So I paid the bill, and will soon write a letter of complaint to the GM, but wanted to share my gripe here as a warning to others.

I ended up spending almost as much on a few phone calls as my room rate, which was mostly my wife's fault for not paying attention to the rate card - almost 3 pounds a minute!

(Hotel was nice - should be for a brand-new hotel! But staff needs a little polishing.)

[This message has been edited by johnndor (edited 07-14-2000).]
Old Aug 12, 03, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hilton Belfast hotel Trip Reports and Reviews

I recently had a one night stay at the Hilton Belfast in Northern Ireland - a change from my usual Asian and Middle Eastern haunts!

The hotel is about 5 years old, and is part of a waterfront development, along with several office blocks. It's also very convenient for the City airport - less than 15 mins away. It's a very normal looking building, but the lobby is nicely designed, with a curved glass exterior wall and the desk on curving away on the other side to the lifts.

A few points

* Gold upgrade was offered, but they only had smoking doubles available. I stuck with the standard rooms.
* Exec lounge offereds drinks from 7-9, access via a keycode that was written on my key folio.
*The standard rooms are standard fare. Slighty gross patterned bed covers in a predominatly green colour!
* The service was speedy and friendly from both the front desk, bar and housekeeping. The concierge was also able to recommend a good brasserie nearby, and a couple of decent pubs too.
* One downside was the abscence of a/c in the rooms. On one of the hottest days of the year, I missed this. Railway noise is also a but of problem - the main line runs very close to the hotel and can be heard pretty much anywhere.

All in all, a respectable stay at a good (80 pounds) price.
Old Oct 6, 03, 10:30 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Swanhunter:

A few points

*The standard rooms are standard fare. Slighty gross patterned bed covers in a predominatly green colour!
* One downside was the abscence of a/c in the rooms. On one of the hottest days of the year, I missed this.
* Railway noise is also a but of problem - the main line runs very close to the hotel and can be heard pretty much anywhere.

All in all, a respectable stay at a good (80 pounds) price.
</font>
Just stayed there myself and concur with your trip report.
* The green on the beds is quite horrid.

* I asked for a room on the other side of the hotel, so railway noise was not an issue, (good recommendation, thanks) and there was a nice view of the city.

* My room had a/c, though the controls were quite difficult to use.

The hotel is a 1 minute walk from the central railway station, and 3 minutes from Donegal Square (city centre). I like the location - downtown, but in a very quiet little haven. Nice river views also.

I ate in the hotel restaurant and it was trully excellent which surprised me to no end. So good in fact that I might just go back for the food .
Old Oct 6, 03, 12:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS MVPG, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG
How is parking there?
Old Oct 6, 03, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MileKing:
How is parking there?</font>

There is a multi-storey car park attached to the hotel - a corridor leads in to the lobby. It certainly wasn't a problem for us to find a space at 6pm on a Monday evening.

GoldCircle - glad the advice was of use!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: