Hilton Belfast {GBR}

Old Nov 27, 2013, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Silver/HH Gold
Phew! I'm glad this isn't a thread about a major problem about the Hilton Belfast. I have a 3 night stay here this coming weekend so I was slightly alarmed to see a warning thread... But now I've read the thread I see it's nothing to be bothered about :-)
I always take it as a given that hotel car service will be considerably more expensive than taxis and other alternatives that you can arrange yourself. I wouldn't exactly call it 'hotel guest extortion'!
Old Nov 27, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
In some dodgier places it's well worth it. UK not so much...
Old Nov 27, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
and the lesson is...

when travelling (in a low risk city) make your own road travel arrangements to save money - sometimes lots of money

<shock horror>
Old Nov 28, 2013, 3:52 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Originally Posted by rienniste
Phew! I'm glad this isn't a thread about a major problem about the Hilton Belfast. I have a 3 night stay here this coming weekend so I was slightly alarmed to see a warning thread... But now I've read the thread I see it's nothing to be bothered about :-)
I always take it as a given that hotel car service will be considerably more expensive than taxis and other alternatives that you can arrange yourself. I wouldn't exactly call it 'hotel guest extortion'!
As I said, yes I understand the hotel's car service is often somewhat more expensive however my situation included taxi's called or reserved by the hotel when the same taxi was 3-4 times less if you searched them out and called yourself. There is no logical reason the "taxi" is THAT much more if the concierge calls them than if you called them. The same "Taxi" as in normal taxi with a sign on the roof, not a mercedes taxi etc.. was $60 versus $220 pounds...that's wrong and is extortion by the concierge for a casual or unaware guest...someone is getting/splitting/pocketing the extra $160
Old Nov 28, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Bigshaker
The same "Taxi" as in normal taxi with a sign on the roof, not a mercedes taxi etc.. was $60 versus $220 pounds...that's wrong and is extortion by the concierge for a casual or unaware guest...someone is getting/splitting/pocketing the extra $160
If the hotel arranged for a regular taxi, wouldn't the fare be determined by the meter, and therefore be exactly the same as if you hailed one yourself?
Old Nov 28, 2013, 6:36 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Originally Posted by Steve M
If the hotel arranged for a regular taxi, wouldn't the fare be determined by the meter, and therefore be exactly the same as if you hailed one yourself?
Not for a custom itinerary with stops, they all quote a fixed price based on distance and time which was spelled in detail when I requested.
The taxis in Belfast also have signs posted inside advising they can be booked for longer journeys, tours and airport trips. As you say, you'd think a taxi would be exactly the same price for the same trip..not $160 pounds more depending who made the booking
Old Nov 28, 2013, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
My advice to OP:

Book your own taxis from now on.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:50 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Staying here for the first time shortly. What are they like upgrading Golds to exec level?

We are on a Visa reward certification, if it matters.

Last edited by lifetimeblue; Dec 16, 2015 at 3:23 pm
Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Good day? Anyone with recent stay information?

We're thinking of a three night stay in early October. TIA!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Anything in particular you need to know?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by stifle
Anything in particular you need to know?
I was wondering if anyone had any recent reports.

I see it's a very few blocks from the rail station, not far from the Titanic exhibit, etc.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:34 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by JDiver

I see it's a very few blocks from the rail station, not far from the Titanic exhibit, etc.
Sure. I was here in May.

It's ideally located in Belfast, near Central station (the Enterprise Dublin-Belfast trains use this station). Titanic Quarter is a reasonable walk, as are most of the attractions in the city. Shouldn't be any need to use cabs. Even City Airport is a short bus ride away.

Staff were all very helpful and couldn't have any complaints about breakfast. As a Diamond I was given an Executive room; took breakfast in the main restaurant which was perfectly pleasant. Everywhere clean and decently maintained. A few coach tours catering for Americans were staying when I was there. Overall, for a UK Hilton - and I've stayed in a lot of them - it's high average. Definitely a good hotel for Belfast, which was a city starved of investment until quite recent times. Can't think of a reason not to recommend the hotel.

BTW: Great Victoria Street station, across town, is where trains to Derry leave and I thoroughly recommend a visit if you have time. The history of Northern Ireland is as fascinating as it is bloody; the Civil Rights movement (not the US one!) started in Derry.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by paul4040

BTW: Great Victoria Street station, across town, is where trains to Derry leave and I thoroughly recommend a visit if you have time. The history of Northern Ireland is as fascinating as it is bloody; the Civil Rights movement (not the US one!) started in Derry.
Trains to Derry call at Central station too. No need to walk/cab/etc. over to GVS.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Yes, I realise that from your original request If you can let me know what you need, I may well be able to help you with it, as while I haven't stayed there recently I am a frequent visitor to Belfast.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:36 am
db7

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, BA ,
The Hilton is one of the better new hotels in Belfast. The exec lounge is ok with views over the city. Drinks in the evening, enhanced last year , are normally not self pour.

Try and get a north east corner room. They have good views down Belfast Lough and you can watch the planes at BHD.

If flying through BHD then the local train can be the quickest option to the hotel at peak times. BHD provides a free min-bus to local train station Sydenham at a corner of the airport (ask at airport information desk)and it is only one stop then to Central, the other way buy ticket to Sydenham and cross bridge to airport side entrance and use the yellow phone to call the min-bus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.