Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Noisy Guests

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Noisy Guests

Some advice and maybe a concensus of what is the right thing to do.

Noisy guests. A certain hotel I use seem to have them more often, though I know it is not the hotels fault itself. But, I have come accross this a number of times during stays over time and am trying to make my mind up!

Function/ party/ bar closing time, long corridoors and children up late running along them or worse early hours in the morning and the party/ loud conversation carrying on outside the door which wakes up everyone in the room.

Can I add before I offend I have no objection or problem with children at all, we travel with mine often, they just don't run around at midnight.

First inclination is to call reception and ask them to "have a word".

Two questions. If reception do ask guests to move on, and it is the end of the problem is any compensation due or to be expected? I would probably say not.

If it continues or if the hotel do not send anyone (which has happened) and the noise goes on, further calls to reception are made, not sorted, what should then be expected in the morning? Or is it one of those things?

Last edited by Skimanant; Mar 5, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Skimanant
Some advice and maybe a concensus of what is the right thing to do.

Noisy guests. A certain hotel I use seem to have them more often, though I know it is not the hotels fault itself.

Function/ party/ bar closing time, long corridoors and children up late running along them or worse early hours in the morning and the party/ loud conversation carrying on outside the door which wakes up everyone in the room.

First inclination is to call reception and ask them to "have a word".

Two questins. If reception do ask guests to move on, and it is the end of the problem is any compensation due or to be expected? I would probably say not.

If it continues or if the hotel do not send anyone (which has happened) and the noise goes on, further calls to reception are made, not sorted, what should then be expected in the morning? Or is it one of those things?
1) No.

2) If it's a property that offers the 100% satisfaction guarantee, you should invoke it. I do think that it's reasonable to expect a quiet hotel at night and that it's the hotel's job to enforce it. If it's not a 100% SG hotel, speak to the manager, find out why the situation wasn't handled properly and take it from there. If you are not satisfied with the outcome, find a new hotel and drop a letter to the GM explaining why.

Mike
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
OK, in situation 2, what would be an appropriate response?

What sort of things do people feel are reasonable "acts of goodwill"?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
I think that you have to ask yourself what you can reasonably expect the hotel to do and what can you reasonably expect the offending party to do.

1) If you've made the complaint and the hotel follows up on it, then I don't think that you should be able to ask for any compensation.

2) There are certain things that no one can control, such as a crying infant. In that sort of circumstance I feel it is up to me to suggest an alternative. "I realize that you can't stop a baby from crying but is there perhaps another room the family could be moved to which would disturb fewer people? Or perhaps is there an empty conference room where the baby could be calmed before bed?" But suggesting an appropriate alternative you may find that the front desk is better prepared to act on your complaint. If no action is taken I would carefully consider how big a deal the inconvenience was. Kids screaming or running around until 10 isn't a big enough deal. 2AM is compensation worthy. A little cigarette smell in the hallway isn't worth it but your neighbor's smoke billowing from the connecting doors is compensation worthy. It all depends on how big the issue was. I'll always err on the side of hotel.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I had a similar situation in an HGI in Ohio. It was a Saturday night and there was dead silence until 1 am when the wedding party from the first floor ballroom moved into the room next to mine (with a connecting door) and began to make lots of noise. The front desk sent someone up to talk to them, which didn't help. When I made the second call, the front desk brought me up a key to an empty room at the opposite end of the hall and comped me that night's room charges. I thought that handled it well.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:16 am

In these situations I find the best and easiest solution for both guest and hotel is to ask to be moved to another room.

It avoids the hotel having to risk any confrontation with the noise-makers.

11277m
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 11277m
In these situations I find the best and easiest solution for both guest and hotel is to ask to be moved to another room.

It avoids the hotel having to risk any confrontation with the noise-makers.

11277m
True, but a royal pain in the rear. I'll usually ask the noisy guests (if they are outside the room) 1x nicely, call FD to warn them, then call to move.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 5:47 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
After one of these events, I enjoy making my own wake up call to the offending room when I wake up at 6.
Just my own passive aggressive way of dealing with it after the fact.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 6:58 am

deleted, company policy

Last edited by Hhonor Gguard; Dec 2, 2013 at 10:45 am Reason: deleted, company policy
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:37 pm

A few years ago when I was right out of college, when checking out of a hotel after a college couple's wedding, the front desk attendant told my friend and I they had never received more complaints than they had about our group. Being mid-20s we took it as a compliment.

I haven't tried it but many people have reported getting quick response from the corporate level for complaints via Twitter. My Mom was always a fan of the "strongly worded letter" and used to get compensation after the fact all the time.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta/Marriott Rewards/HH
UGH!

I recently had this problem at a Hampton Inn in Lansing. This has to have been the loudest hotel that I have ever stayed in. Literally, you could clearly hear conversations in the room next door. One evening, I had neighbors who appeared to be trying out for American Idol- Called the front desk, asked to be moved. Was told "not possible". Asked to be moved to another hotel. Again, "not possible". By the way, yes- It was THAT loud, until 1am. Front desk asked the parties to quiet down several times, and then gave up.

Manager offered me a free night at the same hotel....Geez, a free sleepless night. I politely declined and will never stay there again... That's pretty much my solution.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by fishernrex
Manager offered me a free night at the same hotel....
In addition to comping the night you spent there, or instead of?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by fishernrex
I recently had this problem at a Hampton Inn in Lansing.
Next time, invoke this:
http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/p...ee/index.jhtml

And then be on your way.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
If the hotel calls the guests room or knocks on their door and there is no more problems, I wouldn't think compensation would be do and wouldn't expect it.

Now if it it continued, I would complain at check out and if that doesn't get money knocked off your bill, call the diamond desk or send an email to the GM or HHonors.

I've only had a few times with noisy guests next to me. Usually it's during the day, so I don't say anything if their noise isn't interferring with anything those times.

I have had a couple problems at Palmer house with noise in Chicago. One time was during a new years eve stay and I had a long night and around 4 a.m. I could hear the couple next door making noises, well lets say if I had kids staying in my room I may have had to have done some explaining I called the front desk and stated I had a morning flight and wasn't going to get much sleep and the people next door were being very noisy. A minute later they were quiet and five minutes later they were making a lot of noise again, so like one poster on here did, I decided to give them a wakeup call when I woke up to use the rest room around 6 a.m.

The other time at the palmer house I got $50 taken off the bill and had a VERY NICE upgrade when I stayed there a few weeks later. At that time I was staying at the palmer house regularly and there was a teenage girls dance convention. There were a couple problems with that group (such as girls staying on the 23rd floor brining up their friends with duffell bags so they could stuff them full of coke from the exec lounge). I went to bed early the 2nd night since I had to be up early for a morning flight and there was this group of teenage girls carrying on in front of my door. I went out and politely asked them to go to the elevator lobby or to their own room if they wanted to talk. The one girl said their parents were asleep and they weren't to leave the hallway. They ended up moving a couple doors down but I could still hear them and I called the front desk.

They carried on for 45 minutes before security came up, so I complained when I checked out. I could tell the clerk didn't care for the crowd and he said he was authorized to give me $50 off (and I was on a cheap rate anyway) and he asked me to fill out a comment card. He noticed I was going to be staying there in a few weeks and said he was going to make sure I had a nice upgrade, which I did get.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Tomphot
After one of these events, I enjoy making my own wake up call to the offending room when I wake up at 6.
Just my own passive aggressive way of dealing with it after the fact.
I did that once in Chicago and I agreed it made me feel good

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.